5 characteristics of great workers
out of 13
Post on 11-Aug-2014
Embed Size (px)
DESCRIPTIONRESEARCH ANALYZING 1.7 MILLION CASES OF AWARD-WINNING WORK ACROSS ALL INDUSTRIES, POSITIONS, AND PAY-GRADES, PROVES GREAT WORK IS A PRODUCT OF 5 ACTIVITIES PEOPLE DO, AND 1 COMMON INTENTION.
- 5 THINGS GREAT WORKERS DOAND 1 INTENTION
- CASES OF AWARD-WINNING WORK ACROSS ALL INDUSTRIES, POSITIONS, AND PAY-GRADES, PROVES GREAT WORK IS A PRODUCT OF 5 ACTIVITIES PEOPLE DO, AND 1 COMMON INTENTION. RESEARCH ANALYZING 1.7 MILLION
- Groundbreaking results? Yes it was intentional. The study proved that Great Work isnt an accident. In fact, all cases of award-winning work began with a single-shared intention: To create a difference people love. Great Workers focus more on the recipient of their work, than on the work itself. 5 ACTIVITIES : 1 INTENTION
- Who are Great Workers? Great Work is less an outcome of traits (who people are), but more an outcome of 5 simple activities (what people do). Great Workers dont categorically share similar traits. They: arent always the most engaged dont have a certain personality style dont share a particular set of competencies arent necessarily the most experienced dont even work harder or longer
- What do Great Workers do? Research proves Great Workers practice 5 activities that drive unexpectedly higher results, with the intention of creating a difference people love.
- Activity 1. Ask curious and provoking questions. Instead of adopting prevailing assumptions about how work should be done, Great Workers pause and ask provoking questions that open up new thinking. Common questions of Great Workers are: why does this take so long, why cant we, what if we could. Great questions inspire great ideas.88% of great work projects began with an employee asking What difference would people love? 88% of great work projects began with an employee asking What difference would people love? PUSH PAUSE ASK QUESTIONSPUSH PAUSE ASK QUESTIONS
- Activity 2. Great Workers are compelled to go Great Workers are compelled to go and see things for themselves and understand whats working, and whats not working. They go to where their work makes an impact. Seeing how things work engages our minds in a different way. Employees who saw for themselves were 17X more likely to become passionate about their work. Employees who saw for themselves were 17X more likely to become passionate about their work.
- Activity 3. Have engaging conversations. Great Workers talk to people outside their inner circle of friends and colleagues. They thrive on conversations inspired by diverse perspectives and ideas. When you listen to their conversations, they dont sound like informational transactions. They sound more like explorations for disrupting their own perspectives and limited thinking. 72% of great work projects involve people talking to their outer circle
- Activity 4. Improve something. Great Workers have a knack for improvement. That knack is not a personality trait, it comes from something they do when they approach any project. They dont see things as fixed or immoveable. Instead, they tinker. They test. Their confidence comes from the ongoing practice of building, shaping, trimming and fine-tuning. Work is 3X more likely to be called important when someone has added or removed an element or two. Work is 3X more likely to be called important when someone has added or removed an element or two.
- Activity 5. Chase the change. Great Workers stick with their work and grit it out until they witness the connection between their actions and results. They measure the difference made, fine-tune, and analyze what it is that people really love. 90% of great work projects include employees who remain involved through implementation.
- GREAT WORK: ITS 5 SIMPLE ACTIVITIES AND THE INTENTION TO CREATE A DIFFERENCE PEOPLE LOVE. and its proven by one of the biggest workplace studies ever conducted.
- FROM THE O.C. TANNER INSTITUTE octanner.com/great-work Want to know more? Download the full study here. Discover the New York Times Bestseller Great Work: How to create an difference people love.
- O.C. TANNER AND THE O.C. TANNER INSTITUTE O. C. Tanner helps the world inspire and appreciate great work. Through our innovative cloud-based software, tools, awards, education, and research, we provide thought leadership and strategic recognition solutions for thousands of clients globally. Designed to engage talent, increase performance, and drive corporate goals, our solutions create personalized recognition experiences delivered through a smart technology platform. The O.C. Tanner Institute regularly commissions research and provides a global forum for exchanging ideas about recognition, engagement, leadership, culture, human values, and sound business principles.