5 ways news organizations are engaging their audiences
of 12 /12
Post on 23-Aug-2014
News & Politics
Embed Size (px)
DESCRIPTIONPresentation for AEJMC "Engaging the Audience" panel in Montreal, Quebec, Aug. 7, 2014. // How are today’s journalists finding new ways to engage the audience they once took for granted? Jake Batsell has spent the past two years visiting innovative news organizations that are experimenting with new methods to connect with – and, yes, monetize – their readers, viewers and digital users. Batsell, an assistant professor of journalism at Southern Methodist University and a visiting research fellow at The Texas Tribune, conducted interviews with more than 100 journalists across the United States and United Kingdom for his forthcoming book, Engaged Journalism: Connecting With Digitally Empowered News Audiences (Columbia University Press, February 2015, ISBN # 978-0-231-16835-9). The goal is to demonstrate that, at a time when news organizations are losing agenda-setting power, journalists still can thrive by earning their audience's attention through a combination of online technology and personal interaction.
- Terms of Engagement: Five Ways News Organizations Are Trying To Build Loyalty With Audiences Visiting research fellow, 2013-14 academic year Jake Batsell @jbatsell [email protected] Assistant professor, Division of Journalism AEJMC Montreal August 7, 2014 #aejmc14
- #aejmc14 @jbatsell 8.7.14 News used to be a one-way lecture. Audience attention was taken for granted.
- #aejmc14 @jbatsell 8.7.14 Today, news is a perpetual conversation. Audiences have innite options. How can news organizations build loyalty?
- Engagement, Loyalty and Revenue @jbatsell 6.11.14 Based on visits to more than 25 news organizations in U.S./U.K. 100+ interviews Aimed at journalists, academics, students and anyone else interested in the future of news Part of CJR Books series More details: j.mp/engagedj ENGAGED JOURNALISM (Columbia University Press, Feb. 15)
- I found that news organizations are trying to engage audiences in ve main ways: #aejmc14 @jbatsell 8.7.14
- 1. Face-to-face engagement #aejmc14 @jbatsell 8.7.14
- 2. News as conversation #aejmc14 @jbatsell 8.7.14
- 3. Serving the passionate vertical #aejmc14 @jbatsell 8.7.14
- 4. Search, explore, play #aejmc14 @jbatsell 8.7.14
- 5. Measuring and monetizing the audience relationship #aejmc14 @jbatsell 8.7.14
- The book, boiled down to a tweet: #aejmc14 @jbatsell 8.7.14
- Thanks! Visiting research fellow, 2013-14 academic year Jake Batsell @jbatsell [email protected] Assistant professor, Division of Journalism More info: j.mp/engagedj