[#500distro] heating up the open rate: new school rules for email marketing
Click here to load reader
Post on 23-Aug-2014
Embed Size (px)
DESCRIPTION[#500Distro] Heating Up the Open Rate: New School Rules for Email Marketing
- Emailis: 1. Permission-based 2. Direct 3. Measurable
- Emailsbadrap 1. Batch and blast 2. Purchased lists
- Neitherofthoseaddressesthe customerofone
- Lifecyclereplacesthenewsletter 1. Your customer is entering a relationship with you 2. You know where they are in that relationship
- ButhowdoIgetalist? 1. On-site popup 2. Partner marketing 3. At signup time 4. Events
- HowdoIevengetstartedonthis? HELP!
- Somegeneralbestpractices 1. Test EVERYTHING 2. Watch your unsubscribe rates 3. Mind your preheaders 4. Cull your list
- Quickwins 1. Personalize subject lines 2. Keep it simple - 1 banner, 1 image, a little text, CTA 3. Send T/W/Th between 8 & 9am (but you should still test all this)
- Checkoutloop 1. Follow-up emails 2. Abandoned cart
- Follow-upemailsleadtofuturerevenue(howwasyour purchaseetc) 1. How was your purchase? 2. Do you have questions? 3. Referral program reminder 4. Loyalty program reminder
- Abandonedcartemail One email boosted conversion rates 21% 100k increase in monthly revenue (credit to James Kim)
- Post-sign-updripcampaign 1. Start with a sign-up confirmation, and 1 or 2 additional emails 2. A/B test through adding more emails
- HowdoIfigureoutmoreplacestosendemail? 1. Look at your data 1. What determines user success? 2. When? 3. Start testing there.
- Example: Data tells us (at Yammer) that mobile app downloads predicate continued engagement, especially if the download occurs in the the first 30 days. Based on this, we can start testing sending a reminder to download the mobile app in that timeframe.
- Tools Big ESP - move the logic osite API-driven stack - the product drives the email marketing
- LetssayImthedirectorofemailforAirBnB 1. I have a massive deck of transactional emails as well as marketing emails 2. I have to deal with a large number of languages 3. All of my emails are (mostly) customized by user / market / language
- What? 1. a structure to fill in, 2. a place to store the content 3. a way to identify which content which customer gets
- InExactTarget/otherenterpriseMAS 1. Pass all of the user data over in bulk daily 2. Query data via automation action, build send list 3. Build email with content customized based on user profile
- InKlaviyo+segment.io 1. Customer performs action / reaches threshold to receive an email 2. Segment.io picks up that signal + data and passed to Klaviyo 3. Within Klaviyo, assemble personalized email
- WhatshouldIdo? Your technology strategy should enable your marketers to test and change content / timing / triggers. This should drive your platform / technology decisions.
- HowdoIstaffthisthing? Look for: 1. Platform experience 2. Technical background 3. Marketing knowledge