ancillary task - poster - development diary

Click here to load reader

Post on 01-Dec-2014

168 views

Category:

Documents

0 download

Embed Size (px)

DESCRIPTION

 

TRANSCRIPT

  • 1. DEVELOPMENT DIARY - EMMA SUGARMAN AND GEORGIA WILSONThe background image we used for the final poster is an original image takenat a local forest (HatfieldForest). It will be heavilyedited on Photoshop togive the illusion of a nightsky. Firstly, we changedthe resolution of the imageto 300 and the image size to 20cm x 13.34cm. Using the Selective Colour tool, we picked Neutrals from the drop down menu and altered the colouring so that it was now a purplish night-sky colour. We also edited the blacks so that they were more opaque and silhouette-like. We then used the Burn Tool to blacken the corners of the image to make room for stars. Using a star brush thatwe downloaded from the Internet,we then randomly painted different sized stars onto the black parts of the 1

2. DEVELOPMENT DIARY - EMMA SUGARMAN AND GEORGIA WILSONimage on a new layer. We first used a white brush, then we also addedcosmic colours such aspastel pink and pastelorange. We also used thestar brush in light blue tofade in the other coloursused in order to create amore realistic night sky.We then decided that theright side of the imagewas a little empty and wewanted it to be balanced.We were also thinkingabout making the imageportrait, so we needed amain focal point at thetime. We wanted to use anight time image becausemost of our shooting forthe video is going to be atnight. The music that weare using could also bedescribed as ratherdreamy, which we feelcorrelates with theatmospheric nature of theimage we are using. Usingthe Magic Wand tool, weselected the tree that we intended to use.We then dragged it onto the main imageand erased any extra foliage using theEraser Tool that wasnt part of the tree,and then changed its size using the Free2 3. DEVELOPMENT DIARY - EMMA SUGARMAN AND GEORGIA WILSONTransform Tool. We then placed it in the appropriate place. The finishingtouches were minor edits such as the erasing of stars that had overlapped theblack silhouettes of trees using the Eraser Tool.After a while of looking at this image, we felt that the colours didntrepresent the artist that were using.Although purple is often a mystical colour, the oranges bring out the warmth inthe music. We felt that the original version of the image looked more realisticthan we wanted and we wanted to make the dream-like qualities stand outand we felt that orange and pink tones did this. These colours would alsoappeal to the audience as the original colours could be seen as negative. Tochange the colours we used the Selective Colour tool. Once we had theorange and pink tones incorporated in the image, we felt that more starsneeded to be added, despite the fact that some of them looked too artificial.3 4. DEVELOPMENT DIARY - EMMA SUGARMAN AND GEORGIA WILSONWe decided to decrease the opacity of the stars slightly. Once this was done,we felt that the tree we had placed on the before poster looked out of placeand took away from the feel of the image. Using the Free Transform Tool wemade the tree smaller and placed it to the side of the image. We decided toadd a unique logo for the piece; we thought using the colours we had on the black of the picture was a good idea.To make this logo we decided to use Image within Text. We opened a new PSD, and transferred the final image on to it and duplicated the layer. We then added a white layer between the two and the triangle text just above it. Then, we created a clipping mask of the topimage thus allowing the top image to appear within thetriangle text. We then dragged our new logo onto ouroriginal image and placed it in the corner. We knew we wanted to use the large triangle shape, and incorporating the main image ties the whole poster together. We then added text. We chose this font because whilst we were conducting our research, we found that a slim and tall font appeared most professional. It is easy to read and the text is quite futuristic which fits with thetheme of fantasy. As our poster is landscape, it can also bedisplayed in magazines as a double page spread or onbillboards to reach a larger target audience.4