Transcript
Page 1: SOUTH FAIRMOUNT HISTORY - Project Groundworkprojectgroundwork.org/downloads/lickrun/cdw1/Historic_Fabric_Timeline.pdfLICK RUN WATERSHED 1800 1820 1840 1900 1920 1940 1960 1980 2000

LICK RUN WATERSHED

1800 1820 1840 1900 1920 1940 1960 1980 2000 20101880 Population 5,000

4,000

2,000

1,000

0

3,000

6,000

7,000

8,000

9,000

10,000

11,000

12,000

13,000

14,000

15,000

16,000

1970Queen City Avenue & Westwood Avenue, prime east-west routes in the 1940s, are converted to one-way streets

1950s-1960sMiddle-class families

relocate to suburbs

1920sPopulation reaches 15,000, with an influx of Italian immigrants into the area

1939-1945World War II

(community change agent)

1929-1939Great Depression

(community change agent)

1919 Onset of Prohibition(community change agent)

1805Harrison Roadconstructed

1825A brewery is established in the Lick Run valley

1880sLick Run stream is channelized from Van Hart Street to Mill Creek

1869City of Cincinnati annexes South Fairmount

1848Philadelphia Brewery established

at the intersection of Harrison Pike and State Avenue

1886Construction begins on

St. Francis Hospital

1891Lick Run pipe is covered west of Quebec Street

Early 1890sElectrification of streetcar lines further reduces commuting times and sparks a period of growth in South Fairmount.

Late 1860sSouth Fairmount is the largest village in the Lick Run valley, having approximately 80 buildings and a population of 7,000.

1981Vitt & Stermer Funeral Home closes.

1945Public housing and influx of new works

1930sWestern Hills Viaduct and Union Terminal completed

Early 1900sLunkenheimer Company moves to Fairmount. Factory is constructed and remains in operation until 1984.

1916Hopple Street Viaduct completed, further reducing commute times to downtown and other areas of the city.

2004St. Bonaventure Church, dedicated in 1869, is demolished.

1

1

1

1

1

1

Peak Population: ~15,000

SOUTH FAIRMOUNT HISTORY

Top Related