evolution of the teddy bear
Embed Size (px)
Evolution of the
Teddy bears have a history and an evolution just like real living creatures. Although, the history of the Teddy bears is subject to some controversy but it is believed that the Teddy Bear was invented in 1902, and is named after
Theodore 'Teddy' Roosevelt, the famous hunting President of the USA.
The story begins in Germany, in late October 1902…
• Richard Steiff, a toy designer working for the family firm in Giengen, went to a touring American circus in search of an idea for a popular new toy.
• Among the animals he saw there was a troupe of performing bears, and they sparked off the original idea.
• Richard wanted to make a bear toy, standing upright, and jointed in a similar way to dolls.
• Earlier, bear toys were made from real fur- “mohair”- combed from hairy goats.
……Meanwhile, several thousand Meanwhile, several thousand miles away, the other half of the miles away, the other half of the Teddy Bear story was about to Teddy Bear story was about to
November of 1902…
Theodore Roosevelt was in Mississippi to settle a border dispute between Mississippi and Louisiana.
He went hunting with some of the locals in Mississippi. When he couldn’t find anything even after hours of
hunting, one of his aides discovered a lost bear cub wandering through the woods and tied it to a tree.
Roosevelt refused to shoot the cub bear, saying in was unsportsmanlike.
The next day an editorial cartoonist named Clifford Barryman produced a cartoon montage, entitled 'Drawing the Line in Mississippi' in which he included the incident. His bear had big round eyes and big round ears.
This cartoon was printed in all the papers and triggered a moment of inspiration for Brooklyn candy store owner Morris Michtom.
Morris Michtom quickly worked out a pattern, using Berryman's cartoon as a guide.
Rose Michtom, his wife put together a little jointed toy bear cub.
They displayed two of the bears in their store window and they became immediately popular.
The Bears sold like wildfire, and within a year, Michtom closed his candy store, and founded the Ideal Novelty and Toy Co. - still one of the biggest toy firms in the world over ninety years later.
A moment of inspiration...
• After returning back from his tour, Richard Steiff put his thoughts down on paper for his aunt Margaret Steiff, and completed the designs for the first toy bear and named it 'Friend Petz‘.
• The bear, was first made to appear in public at the 1903 Spring Toy Fair at Leipzig.
• But, to Richard's disappointment, nobody seemed interested.
…In Germany, unaware of the “Theodore Roosevelt incident” going on
in New York…
...Teddy goes international..
• As Richard was packing away the stand at the end of the fair, an American toy buyer came up to him and ordered 3000 on the spot.
• And so the Teddy Bear was born, and sent on his way to international success.
Teddies had been made in Britain from aroundTeddies had been made in Britain from around 1910, but the 1910, but the large-scale manufacture large-scale manufacture
of beautiful Teddies began of beautiful Teddies began around 1915.around 1915. First firmsFirst firms involved were:involved were:
J.K. FarnellThe Deans Rag Book Co. H.G. Stone & Co.Chad Valley Co. 'Chiltern Toys' Merrythought
• World War Two brought a halt to the teddy bear production across Europe.
• When things gradually returned to normal, many new Teddy designs came into being.
• The rapid spread of washing machines, saw the creation of a disjointed, fully washable bear, by Wendy Boston.
• Since then, a new craze of bear collecting has swept the globe - full circle to the Teddy-mania.
Some Famous Teddy Bears…Some Famous Teddy Bears…
Teddy bears have been Teddy bears have been special friendsspecial friends for all for all of us. They have carried well wishes for friends of us. They have carried well wishes for friends
and they have held special remembrances for and they have held special remembrances for loved ones. Teddy bears loved ones. Teddy bears warm our heartswarm our hearts and and
no matter what our ageno matter what our age, we always have a , we always have a special place in our hearts for our soft, plush special place in our hearts for our soft, plush
pals. They keep our secrets, make us pals. They keep our secrets, make us feel safefeel safe and are always there when we need them. The and are always there when we need them. The
Teddy bear is Teddy bear is timelesstimeless!!!!