Click here to load reader
Post on 14-Nov-2014
Embed Size (px)
DESCRIPTIONEzra 4 taught by Julie Adamo
- 1. Ezra 4 Let the GameBegin
2. Ezra 4 Let the GameBegin 3. We Pick The Team
- "He who is not with me
- is against meLuke 11:23
4. Satans First Effort
- EZRA 4:1 When the enemies of Judah and Benjamin heard that the exiles were building a temple for the LORD, the God of Israel, 2 they came to Zerubbabel and to the heads of the families and said, "Let us help you build because, like you, we seek your God and have been sacrificing to him since the time of Esarhaddon king of Assyria, who brought us here."
5. Tactical Training
- Weaken from within *Join the team
- Be self-controlled and alert.Your enemy the devil prowls around like a roaring lion looking for someone to devour.1 Peter 5:8
6. Who were these People?
- 24The king of Assyria brought people from Babylon, Cuthah, Avva, Hamath and Sepharvaim and settled them in the towns of Samaria to replace the Israelites. They took over Samaria and lived in its towns. 25 When they first lived there, they did not worship the LORD; so he sent lions among them and they killed some of the people. 26 It was reported to the king of Assyria: "The people you deported and resettled in the towns of Samaria do not know what the god of that country requires. He has sent lions among them, which are killing them off, because the people do not know what he requires." (2 Kings 17)
7. 2 Kings:17
- 27Then the king of Assyria gave thisorder: "Have one of the priests you took captive from Samaria go back to live there and teach the people what the god of the land requires."28 So one of the priestswho had been exiled from Samaria cameto live in Bethel and taught them howto worship the LORD
8. Who Were these People ?
- 32 They worshiped the LORD, but they also appointed all sorts of their own people to officiate for them as priests in the shrines at the high places.33 They worshiped the LORD, but they also served their own gods in accordance with the customs of the nations from which they had been brought .2 Kings:17
9. 2 Kings:17
- 40 They would not listen, however, but persisted in their former practices. 41 Even while these people were worshiping the LORD, they were serving their idols. Tothis day their children and grandchildren continue to do as their fathers did.
- FAITH + 0 = Salvation
- FAITH + works= salvation
- FAITH + anything else = salvation
11. EZRA 4:1
- When the enemies of Judah and Benjamin heard that the exiles were building a temple for the LORD, the God of Israel, 2 they came to Zerubbabel and to the heads of the families and said, "Let us help you build because, like you, we seek your God and have been sacrificing to him sincethe time of Esarhaddon king of Assyria , who brought us here."
12. Kings of Assyria
- ShalmaneserV727722 BC
- THE KING WHO CONQUERED SAMARIA (10 Tribes)FROM 2 KINGS 17
- Sargon II722705 BC co-regency with Shalmaneser V from 722709 BC
- Sennacherib705681 BC
- Esarhaddon681669 BC
- Ashurbanipa l 669between 631 and 627 BC
- Ashur-etil-ilanica. 631627 BC
- Sin-shumu-lishir626 BC
- Sin-shar-ishkunca. 627612 BCfall of Nineveh
- Harran.Ashur-uballitII612 BCca. 609 BCdefeated byNabopolassarofBabylonia
13. Northern Kingdom Opportunity
- 38 Do not forget the covenant I have made with you, and do not worship other gods. 39 Rather, worship the LORD your God; it is he who will deliver you from the hand of all your enemies."
- 2 Kings 17:38-39
14. Tactical Training
- Weaken from within
- Join the Team
- False Help
- Cause Confusion
- Cause Division
- Cause Destruction
15. EZRA 4:3
- But Zerubbabel, Jeshua and the rest of the heads of the families of Israel answered, "You have no part with us in building a temple to our God. We alone will build it for the LORD, the God of Israel, as King Cyrus, the king of Persia, commanded us."
16. 2 Corinthians 6
- 14Do not be yoked together with unbelievers. For what do righteousness and wickedness have in common? Or what fellowship can light have with darkness?
- 15What harmony is there between Christ and Belial ? What does a believer have in common with an unbeliever?
- 16What agreement is there between the temple of God and idols? For we are the temple of the living God.
17. EZRA 4:4-5
- Then the peoples around them setout to discourage the people of Judah and make them afraid to goon building.They hired counselors to work against them and frustrate their plans during the entire reign of Cyrus king of Persia and down to the reign of Darius king of Persia.
18. Tactical Training
- WEAKEN FROM WITHOUT
- Make them Afraid
- Hire Counselors
19. Counselors-Lobbyists 20. Counselors Possible Jobs
- Dissuade the exiles from the work
- Dissuade the men of Tyre and Sidon from sending the lumber
- To solicit and hinder any business in the Persian court
- Attempt to get edict of Cyrus cancelled
- Attempt to influence the ministers who gave advice to Cyrus to think unfavorably toward the Jews
21. Ezra 4:24the work on the house of God in Jerusalem came to a stand still until the second year of the reign of Darius king of Persia. 22. Ezra 4:6
- At the beginning of the reign of Xerxes, they lodged an accusation against the people of Judah and Jerusalem.
- BOOK OF ESTHER
23. Letter Writing Campaign
- EZRA 4:7-8
- 7And in the days of Artaxerxes king ofPersia, Bishlam, Mithredath, Tabeel and the rest of his associates wrotea letter to Artaxerxes. The letter was written in Aramaic script and in the Aramaiclanguage. 8 Rehum the commanding officer and Shimshaithe secretary wrote a letter against Jerusalem to Artaxerxes the kingas follows:
24. Ezra 4:9-10
- 9 Rehum the commanding officer and Shimshai the secretary, together with the rest of their associatesthe judges and officials over the men from Tripolis, Persia, Erech and Babylon, the Elamites of Susa, 10 and the other people whom the great and honorable Ashurbanipaldeported and settled in the city of Samaria and elsewhere in Trans-Euphrates.
25. Quote by William Jones
- The popularity of a movement is no proof of its truth or righteousness.Numbers are not a reliable guarantee of the wisdom or worthiness of a cause. Majorities have many times been on the side of falsehood, injustice, and folly.
26. Weaken with Lies 27. Ezra 4:11-12
- To King Artaxerxes,From your servants,the men of Trans-Euphrates:
- 12 The king should know that theJews who came up to us from you have gone to Jerusalem and are rebuilding thatrebellious and wickedcity. They are restoring the wallsand repairing the foundations.
28. Weaken with Lies
- 1.Hit you where it Hurts Name Calling-Rebellious and Wicked
- Unjust to place indellible brand
- 70 Years Model Citizens
- Also, seek the peace and prosperity of thecity to which I have carried you into exile. Pray to the LORD for it, because if it prospers, you too will prosper.
- Jeremiah 29:7
29. Ezra 4:13
- 13 Furthermore, the king should know thatif this city is built and its walls arerestored, no more taxes, tribute or duty will be paid, and the royal revenues will suffer.
30. Weaken with Lies
- 1. Hit you where it Hurts Name Calling-Rebellious and Wicked
- 2.An Unwarranted and Slanderous
- Accusation - Wont Pay Tribute
- 14 Now since we are under obligationto the palace and it is not proper forus to see the king dishonored, we are sending this message to inform the king,15 so that a search may be made in the archives ofyour predecessors. In these records you will find that this city is a rebellious city, troublesometo kings and provinces, a place of rebellion from ancient times.That is why this city was destroyed.
32. Weaken with Lies
- 3.Dig up the past
- A. Hezekiah
- (Against the Assyrians 2 Kings 18:7)
- B. Jehoiakim
- C. Zedekiah
- (Both against Babylon- 2 Kings 24:1-20)
- 16 We inform the king that if this city is built and its walls are restored, you will be left with nothing in Trans-Euphrates.
34. WEAKEN WITH LIE 4. TWIST THE TRUTH You belong to your father, the devil, and you want to carry out your father's desire. He was a murderer from the beginning, not holding to the truth, for there is no truth in him. When helies , he speaks his native language,for he is a liar and the father of lies. John 8:44Absurd Exaggeration Gross Misrepresentation 35. Weaken with Lies
- Hit you where it Hurts
- 2.An Unwarranted and Slanderous Acc