fascinating sea otters
Click here to load reader
Post on 12-Jan-2015
Embed Size (px)
- 1. Fascinating Sea Otters Created by Mafalda May 2010
- The sea otter lives in temperate coastal waters. At less than1 kilometer from the shore.
3. Distribution Map 4. Food
- The sea otter eats seaweed, clams, scallops, abalone, crabs, sea cucumbers, mussels and fish.
- Sea otters also eat squid, octopus, marine worms, limpets and sea stars.
5. Food Habits
- The sea otter eats 3 hours a day. Sea otters are nocturnal when looking for food. It eats 25% of its weight every day. Isnt it amazing that they eat so much?
6. Interesting Facts
- The sea otter uses tools like rocks too open animals with a shell such as: scallops, clams, limpet, chiton and snails.
7. Why is it Endangered?
- The sea otter is endangered for many reasons. One reason is because of over-hunting. Another reason is because of oil drilling.
8. What Has Been Done to Help?
- They have done protected waters and C.I.T.E.S is a project helping endangered species.
- Also they are showing people that hunting is SUPER WRONG.
- My conclusion is that sea otters really are interesting. At first I thought they were a dumb animal, but I found out that theyre the smartest marine mammal known.
10. My Predictions For The Future
- I predict that the geographic range of sea otters will grow and they will NOT be threatened anymore.