film editing progress

of 6/6
Film Editing Progress How I edited and cut my film and the struggles / strengths / weaknesses I faced during this

Post on 13-Apr-2017

69 views

Category:

Education

0 download

Embed Size (px)

TRANSCRIPT

Film Editing Progress

Film Editing ProgressHow I edited and cut my film and the struggles / strengths / weaknesses I faced during this

Collecting Clips

IMPROVEMENT: being prepared for costume! The lack of option for plain, black mens clothes meant that I couldnt take pictures/shoot below the chest. I later remembered this at further filming dates...

STRUGGLE: changing rooms to match the scenes, e.g. taking down photos, things with names on etc. I DID WELL: organising the times and dates of locations, and in this whether we would be travelling. Actors needed to be prepared in advance for this.

One of the most difficult parts of shooting was the most important monologue scene. This was due to arranging dates, permission for visitors in school, and using the schools technology and borrowing camera equipment.

UNDERSTANDING OF FILM: I have learnt that lighting and background are very important in the atmosphere in the film. I ensured that this went well by setting up sets the day before filming if it was at my house.

Collecting Clips Part 2 After I had edited my film, I realised that the narrative was not as structured and developed as I felt it should be. By having a mirroring/contrasting voice over of my female character in the same environment as my male character, this could fit the story together more appropriately. I also had to re-shoot some of the shots that did not work so well: for example, the shot of Oscar picking up keys: this looked messy, lacked emotion and was an unrealistic/unstable shot.

A struggle I faced with this was that he was not wearing the same coat or shoes as the same shot. I had to use close ups for most of the shooting to make this less obvious.

Cutting Clips to What I need Using movie maker was the simplest mode of ensuring I had gathered everything I needed due to its basic functioning. This meant that I could edit easily and quickly. I cut clips down and organised them on Sherif Movie Plus by the scenes/when they were shot. This helped with organisation because I knew exactly where everything was and didnt have any additional, unneeded clips in the timeline.

EditingI added fades to close scenes or current themes. I adjusted volumes of diegetic and non-diegetic sound to make the voice-overs hearable. I had to make various other cuts which are visible in my drafted videos.

I also added higher brightness for clips that had bad natural lighting whilst filming. I put all of the shots in lower saturation. This sets a general serious/dramatic tone to the film and allows my work to be stylised.

Sound

Communicating online with the musician was vital in ensuring the non-diegetic sound fitted well with the narrative. I sent him regular updates on my scripts and drafts and his work was edited in accordance. I then later made edits to this to fit in with my desired moods. A struggle I faced was having a background buzzing noise with my voice over (perhaps the sound of the projector). I had to find out how to remove this as the parts without this buzz sounded silent; and it also didnt compliment the background music.