green shipping - digital ship

of 30 /30
30 October 2012 Lee, Seung-hwon IACS and International Affairs Center Green Shipping (Green House Gas)

Author: others

Post on 23-May-2022

0 views

Category:

Documents


0 download

Embed Size (px)

TRANSCRIPT

12
3
5
12% ~ 18% of the global total CO2 emissions in 2050 that would be required to stabilize at no more than 2 warming over pre- industrial levels by 2100.
Source : Second IMO GHG Study 2009 (IMO MEPC 59)
Future scenarios of CO2 emission in shipping
I. Introduction
Operational Measures
• Ship Energy efficiency Management Plan (SEEMP) • Energy Efficiency Operational Indicator (EEOI)
Technical Measure
Annual emission reduction
I. Introduction
8
EEDI Concept
2nd STEP Final Verification
The Same
Speed Model Test ; or Simulation by computer
Sea Trial
Verification Y
Purpose
to establish a mechanism for a company and/or a ship to improve the energy efficiency of a ship’s operation.
Framework
Improved voyage planning, Weather routing, Just in time, Speed optimization , Optimized shaft power
Optimized Ship Handling
Hull Maintenance
II. EEDI, EEOI & SEEMP
Propulsion system maintenance
Waste heat recovery
Improved fleet management
Improved cargo handling
16
Virtual arrival: Implementation of virtual arrival can reduce GHG emissions on the tanker and bulk carrier sectors by 5% (BP, 2010). Slow steaming: Maersk Line's experience in slow steaming shows that for over 1½ year since its implementation in 2009, the relative CO2 emissions were reduced by 7% (Maersk Line, 2010). Hanjin Shipping experience: With a number of efficiency measures put in place (Hanjin, 2010), the overall emissions of the company's shipping sector in 2010 were reduced by 12% (expressed in g-CO2/teu-km) compared to 2008 levels.
(MEPC 63/INF.2) SEEMP, Examples of Best Practices (3/3)
II. EEDI, EEOI & SEEMP
Air Bubble Lubrication System
• M/V Yamatai, M/V Yamato • Length overall: 162.0m • Deadweight: 19,500 DWT (Source : Site of Mitsubishi Heavy Industries, Ltd.)
Micro-bubble Lubrication System - Reduction of friction resistance up to 40% - Expects 10% energy saving (Source: National Maritime Research Institute, JAPAN)
III. GHG Reduction Technologies
Class /type Ice class E3
Tonnage 10,500 DWT
Length 130 m
Propulsion 3.5 MW diesel engines (2x) Flettner Rotors (4x) Propellers (2x)
Speed 17.5 knots (Max)
Delft University of Technology
III. GHG Reduction Technologies
Marine CCS study just started, funded by EUREKA Eurostar program
(Source: Wikipedia)
III. GHG Reduction Technologies
25
development of SEEMP
Under finalization
Section I 1.Foreword 2.Scope and Application 3.SEEMP purposes 4.List of Abbreviations. 5.List of Reference Document Section II SEEMP Development of SEEMP 1.General 2.SEEMP Application 1.Planning 2.2. Implementation 2.3. Monitoring 2.4. Self-evaluation and improvement 2.5. Voluntary reporting/review
3. Methods for energy improvement / fuel-efficient operation of ships 1.Fuel-Efficient Operations 2.Optimized ship handling 3.Hull maintenance 4.Propulsion system 5.Waste heat recovery 6.Improved fleet management 7.Improved cargo handling 8.Energy management 9.Fuel Type 10.Other measures APPENDIX I SEEMP Form
V. ACS WG/GHG
Define data sources for data collection
Collect data
Calculate EEOI
Slide Number 1
Table of Contents
Slide Number 3
Slide Number 4
Slide Number 5
Slide Number 6
Slide Number 7
Slide Number 8
Slide Number 9
Slide Number 10
Slide Number 11
Slide Number 12
Slide Number 13
Slide Number 14
Slide Number 15
Slide Number 16
Slide Number 17
Slide Number 18
Slide Number 19
Slide Number 20
Slide Number 21
Slide Number 22
Slide Number 23
Slide Number 24
Slide Number 25
Slide Number 26
Slide Number 27
Slide Number 28
Slide Number 29
Slide Number 30