Click here to load reader
Post on 29-Oct-2014
Embed Size (px)
DESCRIPTIONNurses test their search skill to sharpen their evidence based practice
- 1. Raritan Bay Medical Center Research & Education Committee March 16, 2010 Yvonne Wesley RN PhD FAAN www.ywesleyconsulting.com
- Upon completion of this session, participants will be able to:
- Identify at least 3 databases containing literature to support EBP
- Critique search strategies to find level one evidence
- Demonstrate search results that support nursing practice
3. Revised by Jackie Mardikian and Lisa Vecchioli, Oct 2000 POPULAR SCHOLARLY PROFESSIONAL Purpose To inform and entertain the general reader To communicate research and scholarly ideas To apply information; to provide professional support Audience General public Other scholars, students Practitioners in the field, professionals Coverage Broad variety of public interest topics, cross disciplinary Very narrow and specific subjects Information relevant to field and members of a group Publisher Commercial Professional associations; academic institutions; and many commercial publishers Professional, occupational, or trade group Writers Employees of the publication, freelancers (including journalists and scholars) Scholars, researchers, experts, usually listed with their institutional affiliation Members of the profession, journalists, researchers, scholars Characteristics
- Little technical language or jargon
- Few or no cited references
- Absence of bibliographies
- General summaries of background information
- Contain numerous advertisements
- Articles are usually brief; between 1-7 pages
- Little or no background information given
- Technical language and discipline- specific jargon
- PEER REVIEW, editorial board
- Bibliographies included
- Procedures and materials often described in detail
- Articles are longer, often over 5 pages
- Application of new technology
- Employment issues
- Practitioners viewpoint
- Technical language used
- Interpretation of research trends and issues
- Articles are usually brief; between 1-7 pages
- Contain advertisements
Frequency Frequent, on a daily, weekly, or monthly basis Less frequent, on a monthly, quarterly, or annual basis Frequent, on a daily, weekly, or monthly basis Examples Time, US News and World Report, Modern Healthcare Journal of Acquired Immune Deficiency Syndrome Institute of Transportation Engineers Journal 4.
- Online search engines.
- A9, [www.A9.com]
- Ask, [www.ask.com]
- Lycos, and
- National Library of Medicines PubMed
- PubMed home
- Studies in medicine, nursing dentistry, psychiatry, veterinary and allied health
- Individual and Institutional subscriptions: free and at a cost depending on vendor and desired search options
- Virtual Academic Library Environment of New Jersey Consortium
New Jersey Knowledge Initiative http://www.njki.org/ New Jersey State Libraryhttp://www.njstatelib.org/ 6.
- OvidProfessionals, researchers, students, and information managers in the scientific and healthcare communities rely on Ovid for the information they need to explore a new theory, fuel a new discovery, inform ongoing research, and improve patient care.Products and Services:
- catalog of world-class book, journal, and database resources,
- innovative information search and discovery tools,
- customized services.
- Silver Platter
- The SilverPlatter WebSPIRS Internet Service was retired on June 30, 2009. Access to your databases previously on SilverPlatter can now be found on our new platform OvidSP, available athttp://ovidsp.ovid.com .
- Web of Knowledgeis today's premier research platform, helping you quickly find, analyze, and share information in the sciences, social sciences, arts, and humanities.
- You get integrated access to high quality literature through a unified platform that links a wide variety of content and search terms together, creating one common vocabulary and one seamless search.
Thomson Reuters 10.
- Cumulative Index of Nursing & Allied Health Literature
- The worlds most comprehensive source of nursing & allied health journals,
- Full text for more than 580 journals indexed in CINAHL.
- Of those, 280 are not found with full text
- Coverage dating back to 1981
- The worlds most comprehensive source of life sciences and biomedical bibliographic information.
- Contains nearly 11 million records from more than 7,300 different publications dating from 1965-present.
- MEDLINE is updated weekly.
- Health Services Technology, Administration, and Research
- The National Library of Medicines online webbase within the following environments:
- (1)PubMed(http://PubMed.gov ) journal citations added weekly
- (2)LocatorPlus(http://locatorplus.gov) books, book chapters, technical reports and conference papers are added regularly
- (3)AcademyHealth(formerly the Academy for Health Services Research and Health Policy) meeting abstracts
- Health and Psychosocial Instruments
- Features material on unpublished information-gathering tools for clinicians that are discussed in journal articles, such as:
- questionnaires, interview schedules, tests, checklists, rating and other scales, coding schemes, and projective techniques.
- Over 2/3 of the tools are in medical and nursing areas such pain measurement, quality of life assessment, and drug efficacy evaluation.
- Developed by The American Psychological Association
- Citations and summaries of peer-reviewed journal articles, book chapters, books, dissertations, and technical reports,
- Covers the field of psychology medicine, psychiatry, nursing, sociology, education, pharmacology, physiology, linguistics, anthropology, business, and law.
- Spanning 1806 to present,
- Over 80,000 records updated weekly .
- The Cochrane Library
- evidence to inform healthcare decision-making
- includes reliable evidence from systematic reviews, & clinical trials
- gold standard in evidence-based health care.
- The Joanna Briggs Institute
- A research institute based in Australia. Health researchers and clinicians around the world collaborate with the Institute as collaborating centres, synthesis and utilisation groups and as members of and subscribers to the Institutes publications and resources
- Joanna Briggs Systematic Reviews
- fully refereed library that publishes systematic reviews of literature.
- Are tympanic temps as accurate as oral among elderly hospitalized patients?
- Hospitalized elderly
- tympanic vs oral
- Subject headings
- Level I : systematic review or meta-analysis of RCTs
- Level II : one well-designed RCT
- Level III : one well-designed controlled trials without randomization
- Level IV : one well-designed case-control and cohort studies
- Level V : systematic reviews of descriptive and qualitative studies
- Level VI : one descriptive or qualitative study
- Level VII : opinion of authorities and/or reports of expert committees
- Will nurses on an oncology unit who sit through a one-hour training have higher Nursing Knowledge Attitude scores than nurses who are not given pain management training ?
20. CINAHL Cochrane PsycINFO HaPi 21. Pain Management Nurses Attitude Oncology Nursing Knowledge Attitude 22. 23. 24. 25. 26.
- Lets begin our savvy search