job interview preparation - team skills
Post on 19-Oct-2014
Embed Size (px)
DESCRIPTIONHints for preparing for a job interview - focussed on demonstrating team skills. Prepare in detail - but be succinct in the interview.
Job Interview Preparation
Confidently Preparing for a Job Interview
Think of 5-10 of your best achievements – make sure these are relevant to the role you are applying for, and are at the right level of complexity.
C What was CHALLENGING or COMPLEX
(strategically and operationally) about this project (achievement)?
What ACTIONS did you take? Why?
What RESULTS (s) did you achieve? Was it the expected result?
What did you LEARN from this experience?
How can you APPLY what you have learnt to add value to the advertised role?
Prepare a CARLA for all the expected capabilities/criteria.
C Your achievement may be CHALLENGING/COMPLEX
for any number of reasons – e.g. multidisciplinary team, everyone new to the team, need to produce an outcome in a short timeframe, project linked to a key organisational initiative, matrix structure, new or multiple changes to leadership, shared leadership, resource shortages, redundancies and downsizing of a team, large team, team dispersed across a number of locations, intercultural communication, history of conflict, team brought together from a several divisions, …………
AShow:• what was your role in the team• what particular strengths did you
bring to the team• an understanding of what makes an
Some actions to consider:
• How was clarity about how the team project fitted with strategic or business goals, and a team vision established?
• Was there a shared understanding of expected outcomes?• How was awareness of team dynamics, different styles,
strengths and weaknesses displayed?• What strategies were adopted to enhance working
together? – planning, prioritising, roles and responsibilities, work allocation, helping others, sharing knowledge
• What communication channels were most effective?• Was there a focus on collaboration and cooperation?
• What conflict arose and what productive conflict management strategies were utilised?
• Were stress management and celebration of successes relevant?
• How were Values, Code of Conduct, and flexible work practices managed?
• What was the role of respect, tolerance, non – discriminatory work practices, trust and confidence?
• How did team members (and you) display initiative, a solutions focus, resilience and a receptiveness to change?
• How did the team manage setbacks? risks? health and safety issues?
• How did the team monitor and evaluate their effectiveness?
For expert assistance with your next job interview
Read my blog at:www.brisbanejobcoach.com