job search survival kit - job search and linkedin tips to help you find the right job fast
Post on 11-Aug-2014
Embed Size (px)
DESCRIPTIONThe Job search Survival Kit completely changes your mindset to help you find your dream job. You learn to focus on what you can control instead of what you can't. These tips are everything I did to bring activity and visibility into my job search process and I share it all with you for free. There are many tips and ideas as well as features discussed here that can help you expand your network easily, have a better resume, talk about yourself more easily even if you are an introvert, interview with ease, and get through the process on your terms. You can control this process from day one and I will show you how I did it so that you can do it for yourself. I will tell you what I did to get through the bad days and how I channeled my energy to getting the next opportunity. Here is the text of the presentation. I am sure that you will feel more confident and independent right away. Who Am I & Why Am I Sharing What Helped Me? Who Am I….I am a hardworking guy who, like many others, found himself out of work during the economic downturn in 2010. After a long battle of wrong turns, job search strategies that led to no where, and dead end leads, I decided to take a more strategic approach to my job search. Like anything else in life, I needed to treat my search like a full-time job and create a plan that would allow me to stand out above the competition. Why Am I Sharing What Helped Me…because I quickly realized that to handle an event like that is to focus on what you can control and share the experience to help others. I believe that an experience not shared is a lost opportunity in life, and that smart people learn from their mistakes and smarter people learn from other people’s experiences. Understand The Job Search Process & Move Forward Looking for a job requires a strategic approach and shouldn’t be taken lightly. Whether you’re out of a job or looking to transition, the process can feel daunting and will make you want to give up at times. It’s important to understand that what you’re going through is normal, but it’s entirely up to you how fast or slow you want the process to be. Let me know your thoughts. Email me at [email protected] with feedback. I love feedback.
- Getting The Upper Advantage No Matter The Odds By: Anthony Hines
- Who Am I.I am a hardworking guy who, like many others, found himself out of work during the economic downturn in 2010. After a long battle of wrong turns, job search strategies that led to no where, and dead end leads, I decided to take a more strategic approach to my job search. Like anything else in life, I needed to treat my search like a fulltime job and create a plan that would allow me to stand out above the competition. Why Am I Sharing What Helped Mebecause I quickly realized that to handle an event like that is to focus on what you can control and share the experience to help others. I believe that an experience not shared is a lost opportunity in life, and that smart people learn from their mistakes and smarter people learn from other peoples experiences.
- Looking for a job requires a strategic approach and shouldnt be taken lightly. Whether youre out of a job or looking to transition, the process can feel daunting and will make you want to give up at times. Its important to understand that what youre going through is normal, but its entirely up to you how fast or slow you want the process to be.
- TAKE THE EMOTION OUT Dont Be A Victim Regardless of your situation, embrace your reality and stay focused on the goal Dont Roadblock Your Success Negative energy, negative people, and stubbornness have zero value to you or a hiring organization You only get one chance to make a lasting impression, its up to you to have that impression show the value you offer an organization or the negativity you portray
- Focus On What You Can Control Dont waste precious time focusing your energy on the past Utilize your network both online and in-person Dont let the stats distract you Dont take silence personally Leverage Like-Minded Professionals For Best Practices And Tips Use your network and online networking sites like LinkedIn to gather ideas from others in your situation Many minds working together are always better than ONE!
- Take Care Of Your Health Eat a healthy diet and exercise regularly to feel better about yourself, be more energetic, and fight stress Reward Yourself For Your Efforts Celebrate small wins Take time out to enjoy a hobby or spend quality time with friends and family Lean on your friends and family for support Bring up your excitement about possible opportunities, dont just focus on the negative
- Think & Portray Positivity Stay proactive, enthusiastic, and positive even when you feel like giving up! Manage your own and your familys emotions Dont Go At It Alone You dont have to go at this alone: lean on your family, friends, and professional network to guide you through this process.
- PREPARATION LEADS TO SUCCESS Prepare Your Career Search Materials Update your resume & other career search collateral Optimize your LinkedIn profile Research companies & the target audience you plan to network with in-person & online Use LinkedIn Every Day LinkedIn will be your biggest job search tool if used right. (check out LinkedIn Tips for more info)
- Join Industry-Specific Groups Use LinkedIn company pages, groups, and the homepage to get in front of your target audience Look Locally & Use Craigslist Companies look for local candidates due to location barriers, so use your local newspaper and Craigslist for opportunities Register on Job Search Engines Recruiters will source job boards for profiles and resumes that match their qualifications so make sure all profiles have current employment information Set up Automatic Job Alerts
- Attend Job Fairs Dont underestimate job fairs or the companies that use these events to source candidates Track Your Efforts Keep track of the jobs you apply so you know when to follow-up and in case needed for unemployment certification Place Calls In The Late Afternoon Most people are busiest in the heart of the day so try and place calls later in the afternoon
- Keep Your Skills Sharp Get certified in areas that will advance your career or attend courses that you can use to sharpen your skills Volunteer to Get in the Door Take Time to Reflect What are the strategies put in place that generated results and those that led to dead ends?
- Dont underestimate the power of LinkedIn and the resource it can be to your job search. LinkedIn is going to be your biggest asset to growing your brand as an expert in your field of expertise, networking with individuals for both professional and personal reasons, and driving your job search into high gear! Ive listed a variety of tips and techniques that worked for my job search, but keep in mind that LinkedIn is changing (for the better) every single day so its important to stay updated with any new job search resources, updates, or additional resources LinkedIn implements on a constant basis.
- Consider The LinkedIn Premium Account To advance your job search, I highly recommend signing up for the Job Seeker Premium account. Just a few of the benefits include: Rise to the top as a Featured Applicant Contact anyone with InMail See the full list of who's viewed your profile Receive Salary Data Stand out in search results with a premium icon on your profile. Get access to the Job Search Group & Webinars for Job search support and resources!
- CREATE A STANDOUT PROFILE Headlines Count Develop a catchy headline that is memorable and stands out amongst the millions of others in your field Use industry specific keywords and list any certifications or credentials needed for your field Create A Stellar Summary Section Use the summary section like your billboard, selling your highest level of achievements that align to the positions you hope to be considered for
- Maximize The Skills Section Come up with a list of 50 skills that are industry specific and relevant to your career focus. Make sure you add all 50 skills as these are used as Search Engine Optimization (SEO) keywords that allow to be more searchable and found by your target audience (recruiters & hiring managers) Complete Your Experience Section Make sure the company names, dates of employment, and job titles are consistent with your resume Add only the relevant information pertaining to the positions you hope to apply for Ask for recommendations and give recommendations for each role youve had
- NETWORK TO GET THE UPPER ADVANTAGE Join Groups Join Job & Professional Related Groups. There are a great mix of hiring managers and recruiters posting their open positions, career development professionals that offer tips, and other people in the same position as you that can help. Follow Company Pages Follow the companies that are both industry specific and those you hope to work for. Recruiters source candidates from the company page Dont be afraid to comment on the company posts, but be careful to keep it professional and representative of your work
- Actively Engage With Your Network Dont be a passive bystander, engage with members of the groups, company pages, and on the home page. Build a presence for yourself by posting status updates, polls, articles, and commenting on other posts Dont forget the main goal.GETTING NOTICED! Ask for Introductions Contact members who are in your 2nd or 3rd degree network. If a member is within your extended network, you can contact them through connections you have in common. Remember to include a personal and professional message as this will be viewed by all parties
- Keep Your Status Fresh Update your status often so youre constantly popping up in the activity feed Include industry-specific information, but make it interesting and catchy Try and post updates on areas such as networking events youre attending, volunteer work youve done, an upcoming meeting, a project you just finished, or a class you just completed Always keep it professional; LinkedIn is not the place to post what you had for lunch.
- Remember, its all mental. Stay Confident In Yourself. Know your skills and love yourself. Let that project so that others will feel that confidence. Just keep telling yourself that I need to continue to get possibilities because you are only looking for one job. There is no reason you cannot succeed. NONE.
- Here is some free help to get you started. Just send a copy of your resume to the email address [email protected] and get a free comprehensive and detailed report of how your resume looks and flows. Yes it is totally free. Go for it because without a great resume, you have no chance of getting any job much less a great job. The turnaround is very quick and the service is stellar.
- If you want to quickly increase your linkedin connection total, including many recruiters, go to http://www.TopLinked.com/a/?a=182790 . This paid service will make your connection total explode. I caution that if you are not ready for a substantial amount of requests especially from recruiters, you may not want to sign up. Now if you want that, please use the above link for quick service.
- If you have found this presentation helpful and would like to learn more about how I gained the upper advantage in my job search, please email me at [email protected] and I will send you my complete 15 document set which includes a recruiter file with over 200 recruiters and even more tips for your use. Yes, this is all free. Request the set today.