masters search kaiya
out of 12
Post on 11-Aug-2014
Embed Size (px)
- Master of Photography: Ansel Adams Born: February 20, 1902 Died: April 22, 1984 Famous For: Black and White Landscapes Type of Photography: Landscapes B&W or Color: B&W Sample Image Biographical Information: Ansel Adams was born in San Francisco. He was almost always sick during his childhood but always enjoyed the outdoors. When he was fourteen he went to Yosemite National Park, and there, found his love for photography. Sample Image Description of Work: He took many photos of the landscapes of America. His first pictures were of Yosemite National Park. But he also took famous photos of the Japanese internment camps during World War II. Sample Image
- Master of Photography: Mathew Brady Born: 1822 Died: 1896 Famous For: Photojournalism Type of Photography: Portraits B&W or Color: Black and White Sample Image Biographical Information: Mathew Brady was born in New York in 1822. Being the first person to capture photos of the American Civil War, he almost was killed during a battle. Unfortunately, he died on January 15, 1896, alone and poor. Sample Image Description of Work: He was known to be Lincolns favorite photographer. He took portraits of people and was known for taking them of well known figures. His most famous work though was his Civil War series that really gives life to the war. Sample Image
- Master of Photography: Julia Margaret Cameron Born: June 11, 1815 Died: January 26,1879 Famous For: Heroic themed portraits Type of Photography: Portraits B&W or Color: Black and White Sample Image Biographical Information: She was born in India and died in Sri Lanka. Julia was often considered to be least attractive of all her family but definitely was the one with her talent. But it was not until 1948 that her work became more widely known. Sample Image Description of Work: Her photos all seem to have an eerie realness that most photos from the time lacked. The photos she took are more personal and dont seem so fake. The lighting adds awesome shadows as well to the photos. Sample Image
- Master of Photography: Born: Alfred Stieglitz Jan 1, 1864 Died: July 13, 1946 Famous For: Making photography known Type of Photography: Candid B&W or Color: Black and white Sample Image Biographical Information: He was born in New Jersey and died in New York City. But throughout his career his goal was to make photography a more widely known and accepted art form. He had an affair with famous painter Georgia OKeefe who was often known as his muse. In early 1938 he had his first stroke and in 1946 suffered a fatal one. Sample Image Description of Work: His work shows more of what life was like. He often uses candids instead of posing his models. He would still pose them but most of his more well known photos are the candid images. Sample Image
- Master of Photography: W. Eugene Smith Born: Dec 30, 1918 Died: Oct 15, 1978 Famous For: World War II photos Type of Photography: Mostly candid B&W or Color: Black and White Sample Image Biographical Information: He was born in Wichita, Kansas and died in Tuscon, Arizona. Being a war photographer he put his life in danger often and was almost killed many times. He also was a heavy drinker and had to take drugs to control his workaholic tendencies, these lead to a bug stroke that killed him in 1978. Sample Image Description of Work: Sample Image His work is very real and immerses you into the environment in which he took them. Smiths photos of people display so much emotion that they make you want to cry with them. Each one really just takes the subjects thoughts and emotions and makes them your own.
- Master of Photography: Born: Dorothea Lange 1895 Died: 1965 Famous For: Depression era photos Type of Photography: Mainly portaits B&W or Color: Black and white Sample Image Biographical Information: Lange was born in New Jersey and died in San Franciso, California. She was abandoned by her father at 12 and even contracted polio when she was seven. These events impacted her immensely. She died of esophageal cancer at age 70. Sample Image Description of Work: Because her photos were taken during the Great Depression her photos were indeed depressing. They give us insight into what life was really like during that time. But there still seems to be some hope in each photo. Sample Image
- Master of Photography: Alexander Rodchenko Born: 1891 Died: 1956 Famous For: Contsructivism Type of Photography: Portraits B&W or Color: B&W Sample Image Biographical Information: Alexander Rodchenko was a versatile, Russian artist. He started with painting, then moved to photomontages, then photography. He wanted to show how photographs resemble images humans see. He decided to take pictures from man different angles. He died in Moscow in 1956. Sample Image Description of Work: Rodchenkos work displays many strange angles. He also seems to most often, get really close to the subject or crop tightly. He fills the who frame and doesnt leave very much empty space. Sample Image
- Master of Photography: Robert Frank Born: 1924 Died: N/A Famous For: The Americans Type of Photography: Candid B&W or Color: B&W Sample Image Biographical Information: Frank was born into a wealthy Jewish family in Switzerland. Because of the time he was born, world war two impacted him and gave him an understanding of oppression. Frank used photography as an escape from his family and the world. Sample Image Description of Work: Franks goal was to capture America, so thats what he did. His photos really show the American of the late 1900s. He shows all of the different cultural areas through his photos. Sample Image
- Master of Photography: Lennart Nilsson Born:1922 Died: N/A Famous For: Developing Embryo Photos Type of Photography: Macro B&W or Color: Color Sample Image Biographical Information: Nilsson was born in Sweden into a family of photographers. He got his first camera at 12 a developed a love for the art. He was published many times and he is most famous for his photos of developing embryos. He also was the first to photograph many viruses. Sample Image Description of Work: Nilssons work is macro so it shows what the microscopic world is like. All the photos are rather creepy and very alien like. The ones of microscopic organisms are rather disturbing. Overall, I find his work creepy. Except the snowflakes, those are pretty. Sample Image
- Master of Photography: Annie Liebovitz Born: 1949 Died: N/A Famous For: Celebrity photos Type of Photography: Portraits B&W or Color: Color Sample Image Biographical Information: Liebovits was born in Connecticut in 1949. She began her creative career with painting and later moved to photography. She landed a job at Rolling Stone Magazine and worked there for quite sometime. Liebovitz has taken a photo of almost every celebrity there s including John Lennon, Michael Jackson, the Obama family, and many more. Sample Image Description of Work: Sample Image Her work ranges from fanciful to mysterious to depressing. Yet she capture the personality of her subject so well. The use of costume to lighting to angle all just ties in to the amazing images theme. The photos are also very intimate and really get you to seemingly know the subject.
- Master of Photography: Richard Avedon Born: 1923 Died: 2004 Famous For: Fashion Photos Type of Photography: Portraits B&W or Color: B&W Sample Image Biographical Information: Avedon was born in New York into an artistic family. His mother encouraged him to do art and when he was 12 he got into photography. In 1944, he got a small job at a department store for advertising and soon was picked up by magazines. His success spanned many magazines and photos of huge celebrities. Avedon died of a brain hemorrhage in 2004. Sample Image Description of Work: Sample Image The work of Avedon is very personal and intimate. He really wanted to show the emotion of his subjects. Instead of the normal sitting or standing position, Avedon would often have his subjects doing something. This broke the normal barrier between the viewer and the subject.
- Master of Photography: Jerry Ueslmann Born: 1934 Died: N/A Famous For: Photomontage Type of Photography: Photomontage B&W or Color: B&W Sample Image Biographical Information: Ueslmann was born in Detroit and it wasnt until high school that he found a passion for photography. He liked that using a camera you can change the view of the world and this idea would lead him to photomontage. At the time that Ueslmann was working, his use of multiple photos was extraordinary. Sample Image Description of Work: Sample Image Ueslmanns work is incredibly imaginative and sometimes bizarre. Because he uses multiple photos he can make things appear in odd ways. His photos send the viewer on a journey into the imagination. The images really make you think and remind me of a somewhat Alice in Wonderland sort of place.
View more >