opensolaris: getting involved what we want creative and motivated people who write code and words...
Post on 01-Oct-2020
Embed Size (px)
USE IMPROVE EVANGELIZE
Jim Grisanzio Sr. Program Manger, OpenSolaris Engineering Sun Microsystems Tokyo, Japan
OpenSolaris: Getting Involved
The OpenSolaris Community in India
Your voice matters. Express it.
Having your voice listened to is a privilege, not a right, and it's a privilege that's earned in proportion to the contribution level, not the volume level.
– Alan Burlison http://mail.opensolaris.org/pipermail/ogb-discuss/2007-October/002556.html
Code, Scripts, Tests, Help, Presentations, User
Groups, Conference Management, Language Portals,
Translations, University Courses, Graphics, Ads,
Training Materials, Screencasts, Videos, Genunix Wiki,
Evangelism, Docs, Articles, Blogs, Podcasts,
Development Process, Tutorials, Input Methods,
Feedback, SCM, Emancipation, DTS, Ksh93,
Distributions, Books, Ports, Governance
The Secret Contributing to OpenSolaris is personal.
It's based on establishing a trust relationship.
● There are no short cuts. It takes time. ● Take the initiative. Assert yourself.
Find a Community Group or Project. Join the list, observe, introduce yourself, ask questions, start small. Skills match?
Offer to do something concrete: fix something, update something, translate something. Get a commitment.
Go and do that something. Actually do it. Ask leaders to walk you through a contribution process. No process? Write one. No leaders? Be one.
● Groups: http://opensolaris.org/os/communities/ ● Projects: http://opensolaris.org/os/projects/
Working the Secret
● What we want Creative and motivated people who write code and words
and who can organize, test, design, evangelize, whatever. ● The problem
No single method of engaging. No single access point. Lots of info spread throughout. It's very confusing.
● Solving the problem Document how to contribute and point to those contributing. Scratching my own itch here. This has not been popular.
● Where to start FAQ: http://opensolaris.org/os/about/faq/ Advocacy Community Group
● Who: Sun. The Community. Blending? ● What: Source, Binaries, Community ● Where: MPK 17 first. Now the world. ● When: 2003, 2004, 2005. Now. ● Why: To build a community. ● How: Open Development ● Community Priorities:
DTS, SCM, re-organization, website/wiki, code review, RTI. Branding & Trademark
● Issues? Sure. Welcome to the world.
● Early Access Points for Contributions 2003: Internal discussions start in Solaris engineering. 2/04: Discussions go external. Engineering team forms.
Research, analysis, and diligence begins. 6/04: Announced in China. 2-part pilot begins. 300 people. 1/05: site opened, DTrace released, announced license and
intention to form governing board. 7K sign up. 4/05: Board members announced. First meeting held. 6/05: ON source opened. 150 engineers blog tours of code. 6/05 to present: 40+ releases: source, binaries, tools, tests,
projects, consolidations, docs, distros, ports. 10/07: Project Indiana released.
● Current Status Global. 85K. 8K on 235 lists. Voting Members: 323.
● Evolution Started from 0. Kernel developers first. Now users,
students, application developers, writers. ● Community Structure & Governance
Charter and Constitution – enfranchising the community. Community Groups and Projects. (And User Groups).
● Leadership There is no single leader. (Big debate here, by the way) Distributed model. The board does not run the OpenSolaris
community. The Members do (in theory).
Contribute Now: 10 Quick Ways
(in no particular order)
1. Conversations Talk. Help. Offer feedback. File bugs. Debate. Lists Subscribe: http://mail.opensolaris.org/mailman/listinfo
Forums Post: http://opensolaris.org/jive/index.jspa Forums Subscribe: http://opensolaris.org/os/discussions/
IRC http://opensolaris.org/os/chat/ Existing DTS: http://bugs.opensolaris.org/
http://mail.opensolaris.org/mailman/listinfo http://opensolaris.org/jive/index.jspa http://opensolaris.org/os/discussions/ http://opensolaris.org/os/chat/ http://bugs.opensolaris.org/
2. Governance Run for office. Guide the project. Intermediary
between Sun and Community. Update the Constitution. Should OGB lead?
OGB: http://opensolaris.org/os/community/ogb/ Constitution: http://opensolaris.org/os/community/ogb/governance/
3. Code Write code. Test. Review. Fix bugs.
Sponsor Program. Projects. ON: http://opensolaris.org/os/community/on/
Contributing: http://opensolaris.org/os/communities/participation/ Dev Draft: http://opensolaris.org/os/community/on/os_dev_process/
Dev Ref: http://opensolaris.org/os/community/on/devref_toc/ ARC: http://opensolaris.org/os/community/arc/
Putbacks: http://opensolaris.org/os/bug_reports/request_sponsor/ Search: http://src.opensolaris.org/source/ Code reviews: http://cr.opensolaris.org/
SCM: http://opensolaris.org/os/community/tools/scm/ Testing: http://opensolaris.org/os/community/testing/
Future DTS: http://defect.opensolaris.org/bz/
http://opensolaris.org/os/community/on/ http://opensolaris.org/os/communities/participation/ http://opensolaris.org/os/community/on/os_dev_process/ http://opensolaris.org/os/community/on/devref_toc/ http://opensolaris.org/os/community/arc/ http://opensolaris.org/os/bug_reports/request_sponsor/ http://src.opensolaris.org/source/ http://cr.opensolaris.org/ http://opensolaris.org/os/community/tools/scm/ http://opensolaris.org/os/community/testing/ http://defect.opensolaris.org/bz/
4. Localization Translate. Translate. Translate.
Portals. IM. Messages. i18n: http://opensolaris.org/os/community/int_localization/
5. Website Website: http://opensolaris.org/os/project/website/
Help re-design opensolaris.org.
6. Advocacy Publicize. Evangelize. Localize.
Advocacy: http://opensolaris.org/os/community/advocacy UG: http://opensolaris.org/os/community/advocacy/usergroups/
Trademarks: http://opensolaris.org/os/project/branding/ Mentoring: http://opensolaris.org/os/project/mentoring/
http://opensolaris.org/os/community/advocacy http://opensolaris.org/os/community/advocacy/usergroups/ http://opensolaris.org/os/project/branding/ http://opensolaris.org/os/project/mentoring/
7. Documentation Docs http://opensolaris.org/os/community/documentation/
Write. FAQ. Tutorials. Student Guides. Starter Kit. Books. MAN pages.
8. Facilitation Section 7.5 in Constitution. Totally
unrealized opportunity to help run Groups and Projects. Am I wrong?
9. Distributions Distributions: http://opensolaris.org/os/downloads/
BeleniX, SchilliX, Nexenta, MarTUX, Indiana, SXCE, SXDE. Desktop: http://opensolaris.org/os/community/desktop/
Download. Run. Use. Contribute Packages.
10. Start a Project Projects: http://www.opensolaris.org/os/projects/
Propose and lead your own project. What do you want to do?
Acknowledgement Contributors and Core Contributors recognized by the OGB as
Members: http://vote.opensolaris.org/ (under “grants” tab)
Need to do a better job here. How? What's appropriate?
Performance Security, Availability
Manageability Reliability, Compatibility
Serviceability Platform Neutrality
Design Principles Community Values http://opensolaris.org/os/about