paper no.11 how post cololinalism shows in bollywood movies
Embed Size (px)
Paper no:- 11 THE POST-COLONIAL LITERATURE
BHUNGANI CHINTAVANKUMAR N.M.A. (SEM -2)
Roll no:- 6
Submitted To Smt. S. B. GARDI DEPARTMENT OF ENGLISH MAHARAJA KRUSHANAKUMARSINHJI
HOW POST-COLONIALISM SHOW IN BOLLYWOOD MOVIES
What is colonialism ?
• Colonialism is the subjection of one culture by another. It may involve military conquest but extends to the imposition of the dominant power’s values and customs on those of the conquered peoples.
• Colonialism is about the dominance of a strong nation over another weaker one.
• In the 19th and 20th centuries. Britain and other European powers held colonial empires in Africa ,Asia ,and south America.
Characteristics • Resistant descriptions:- counteract or “resist” the
stereotypes , inaccuracies, and generalizations which the colonizers circulated in educational ,legal, political and social texts and settings.
• Appropriation of the colonizers language:- India, for example 18 languages exist alongside English many postcolonial writers choose to write in the colonizers “tongue” however ,authors such as Arundhati Roy deliberately play with English, remolding it to reflect the rhythms and syntax of indigenous language and inventing new words and styles to demonstrate mastery of a language that was, in a sense, forced upon them.
• Reworking colonial art-forms:- Arundhati Roy reworks European art
forms like the novel to reflect indigenous modes of invention and creation.
Post colonial authors like :-o Salman Rushdieo Khaled hosseinio Chinua Achebe
● Cultural colonialism is the imposition of the beliefs and social practices of the dominant power on the subjugated one, resulting in loss or change of the native culture.
· The Demonic Other is the view that those who are different from oneself are not only backward but also savage, even evil.
· Double vision/double consciousness is the sense of being part of both the colonized and the colonizing cultures, with all the conflicts and contrasts that involves. It is characteristic of indigenous peoples and later settlers.
· Eurocentrism is the assumption that the European ideals and experiences are the standard by which all other cultures are to be measured and judged inferior.
Exotic other is the view that those who are different from oneself possess an inherent dignity and beauty, perhaps because of their more underdeveloped, natural state of being.
Hyberdity/syncretism is the quality of cultures that have characteristics of both the colonizers and the colonized. Marked by conflicts and tensions, they are continually changing and evolving.
Mimicry is the imitation of the dress, manners, and language of the dominant culture by the oppressed one.
• Postcolonial literary criticism refers to the analysis that looks to uncover the colonialist or anti-colonialist ideologies in the text.
Conclusion • some other example of movies like….Midnight children , new
York ,kurban, Gandhi, rang de basnati…in this all movies we can see that how post-colonialism show through songs ,characters, backgrounds of India ..
• The term post colonial literature has taken on many meanings in that four things include
• 1) social and cultural change • 2) misuse of power and exploitation • 3) colonial abandonment and alienation • 4) use of English language literature. It is interdisciplinary field
it examines global impact of colonialism than even postcolonial writings have been found among much of Indian literature.
• Many Indian literary writers wrote on this and in India it is notable movement.
Please visit :-do like, comment and share Slide share:-http://www.slideshare.net/bhunganichintanYouTube channel :-https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLkLjfaAolxQCiOIroiKmhA
Face book:-https://www.facebook.com/bhungani.chintan Gmail id :- [email protected]