protecting academic integrity in k-12 online exam environments
Click here to load reader
Post on 20-Aug-2015
Embed Size (px)
- 1. Secure Testing. Anytime. Anywhere.Protecting Academic Integrityin K-12 Online Exam EnvironmentsVirtual School Symposium 20121
- 2. 2
- 3. About Software SecureSoftware SecureFounded 1999HQ in Newton, Massachusetts(www.softwaresecure.com)Solutions for secure, convenient and scalable exam integrity wherever orwhenever exams are administered - with different robust security models forvariable kinds of computer-based exam.Solutions for Higher Education, K-12 and Certification Organizations- Classroom and Distance Learning Environments- Assures integrity of test conditions with patented technology- Authenticates student ID with biometrics and proprietary monitoring system- End-to-end exam administration services 3
- 4. Secure Test SolutionsSoftware Secure provides a spectrum of solutions that protect the integrityof test conditions and the authenticity of the student, while providing end-to-end exam administration services.Remote and Classroom TestingProducts & Services Remote Proctor PRO & NOW Video Review Services Securexam Browser Securexam Student Planet SSI
- 5. K-12 Online Challenges Authentication - how do you make surea student is who they say they are? Security - how do you make surestudents are taking exams honestly? Convenience - how do you offerflexible and secure options? Cost - how do you make all of theabove fit your institutions (or thestudents) bottom line?5
- 6. Online Exam Cheating
- 7. Online Exam Proctoring SolutionsDigital solutions that assure true exam integrity for all distance learning exams.Gold-standard proprietary hardware andOn-demand solution for distance learningsoftware solution that delivers total exams - proctored by computer and security for self-service examinations webcam, authenticating the ID of onlineand prevents cheating. students.
- 8. Remote Proctor PRO Total Exam SecurityAddresses every area of exam security byauthenticating his/her identity and controllinga students computer while watching andlistening to the exam environment.Integrated Hardware & Software Components: Remote Proctor Pro : Hardware device thatuses biometrics to authenticate the identity ofthe test-taker, records all sound, and videos a360-degree view of the exam environment. Securexam : Patented software whichprovides access to computer-based examswhile simultaneously locking down the desktopby preventing access to all other non-examination materials or applications8
- 9. Remote Proctor NOW Anytime. On-Demand. Utilizes existing webcam and microphonethat test-taker already owns- they can betaking a test in less than three minutes! Records webcam view, audio and desktop toensure compliant exam conditions No need to schedule time or rely on aproctors schedule to take a test Cost effective method to provide remote testproctoring all for about $15 per exam Each test is reviewed by multiple certifiedreview specialists to catalog exam policyviolations Can work with any test delivery system9
- 10. Webcam-Based Proctor: How it Works1. Access software2. Select your exam3. Verify identity4. Take your exam
- 11. Exam Monitoring: Remote Proctor Methodology Records webcam view, audio and desktop to memorialize each exam session Reputable Reviewers - Certified Review Specialists Multiples: Three sets of eyes review each exam session Catalogs exam policy violations to assure compliance with exam policiesReviewers: 3 sets of eyes review each examStudent monitored Desktop recorded Exam Session recorded 11
- 12. We work with almost any LMS:Remote Proctor Solutions can be easily integrated with your LearningManagement System, creating a natural extension of the applications yourinstitution already has in place. 12
- 13. CaseStudy Clay Virtual Academy Program Type:Virtual K12 Progress Monitoring Test (FCAT) Objective: Offer convenient and secure online testing Challenge: Must be easy to use for wide range of students Proctoring Before: Testing Centers, Drive to campus Solution:Remote Proctor NOW 13
- 14. Case Clay Virtual Academy Offers Remote Proctor Studyto Secure Virtual Exam EnvironmentChallenge:With more than 300 full- and part-time students whotake virtual education courses, needed an alternative toavoid having parents drive children to a centralized brickand mortar site for testing. Remote Proctor NOW was anideal solution for Clay as it fit their criteria for being themost convenient, secure and cost-effective solution.Results: Convenience - enable students to pursue virtual K12 education. Easy to use for students and convenient for parents Faculty and students satisfied that cheating isnt occurring Positive feedback from faculty, students and IT Integrity of the Progress Monitoring test (FCAT) protectedSimple and lowest cost solution for online exam proctoring 14
- 15. Student FeedbackStudents who demand flexibility are grateful for theRemote Proctor option . . . Time Savings: Ease of Use: This has saved me an hours drive to take my The proctor software seems to work well and son to a testing center. is very convenient for taking tests online. This opportunity allowed me to stay home Can log in to my test in under 5 minutes - with my sick mother rather than hiring a nurseanyone with basic knowledge of computer to care for her while I drove to campus to take systems can easily access the program with the exam.instructions and practice. Privacy:Cost: Remote Proctor is not intrusiveIve saved on babysitting fees and parking by Convenience of remote proctoring outweighs being able to take the test from my house. my concern about being monitored. I have had to pay up to $50 to take tests at a test center, and leave work early. With this system, Ive simplified my test taking, and saved money.
- 16. Customers using Remote Proctor today 16
- 17. The Pathway to Online Integrity Step 1: Explicitly stateexpectations Step 2: Reinforce ethical climatewith prevention. Step 3: Be consistent and followthrough with consequences. Step 4: Utilize assessment design. Step 5: Create a learningenvironment that minimizescheating opportunities.McNabb and Olmstead (2009) Journal of Online Learning and Teaching Vol. 5, No. 2Hulsart and McCarthy (2011) The Journal of Continuing Higher Education, 59:9296 .
- 18. Balancing PrioritiesCost Low Remote ProctorLogin/ID,Remote Proctor PROPassword,NOW, Anytime,Anytime, anytime,anywhere anywhereanywhereConvenience Login/ID Remote Proctor Remote Proctorpassword,NOW PRO, scheduledscheduled Scheduledlocation locationlocation High Security
- 19. Why Software Secure? More convenient No need for students to schedule a proctor - On demand testing 24 hours a day, 7 days a week More affordable On average 40% cheaper than other proctoring technologies More secure Exams are reviewed on a 1:1 basis and we have complete video and audio records of exam experience
- 20. Secure Testing. Anytime. Anywhere.For more information, please contact: Software Secure Sales [email protected] | (617) 340-6381 Follow us: @Software_Secure