room4 pineapple neil witt hd pineapple project neil eluminate presentatio nv1.1
Embed Size (px)
APEL Eluminate Session 12th November
Dr Neil WittUniversity of Plymouth
• Partnership Investigations into Accredited Prior/Previous Learning (PIneAPPLe)
• The Pineapple project is funded by JISC under the Lifelong Learning and Workforce Development strand of the Institutional Innovation Programme.
• Running from March 2009 - March 2011
• £300,000 funding
The Pineapple Team
• Dr Neil Witt - Pineapple Project Director
• Dr Anne McDermott - Pineapple Project Director
• Dr Harriet Dismore - APEL Research Co-ordinator
• Robert Stillwell - Technical Developer
• Mark Stone - CETL embedding link
• Sophie Neville - Project Assistant
To bring clarity and apply structure to current Accredited Prior Experiential Learning (APEL) work, policies and practice carried out in the University of Plymouth Colleges faculty.
University of Plymouth College Faculty
• 18 partners• 10,000 students• 460 HE programmes
Objectives • review existing APEL resources and identify possible
barriers and mechanisms to implement the APEL procedures
• develop, implement and evaluate an APEL toolkit/diagnostic for HE in FE staff to explain APEL process and to record/register APEL
• use this diagnostic to build up cases that can be referred to as and when needed
• dissemination of the above together with appropriate
support for HE in FE staff.
Progress so far• Baseline report
– National / Regional / Local levels
• Pilot survey administered to HE in FE programme managers. The main survey is due to be sent out to all HE in FE programme managers in a few weeks.
• Process mapping.
• Consultation with potential users.
Survey• Awareness of APEL
- Information available for students
- Cost and time
• Support available
• Support required
UPC APEL Event
• Share survey findings• Discuss mechanisms
and barriers• Feedback on
Additional issues• College specifics• Ways forward
Process Mapping – Version 0
• Surveys (pilot complete, to be distributed imminently)
• Events with APEL stakeholders – Dec, Jan – •Input and feedback
• Baseline Data
• UPC• HEI(s)• Professional Bodies• Employers
Allow users (staff) to design an APEL process suitable for their situation
Let the user create a student application (also add additional staff)
Lead the user step by step through the process and save progress
System may be used to send information to students (documents / links via email – potential for sms)
Output information in standardised XML format (to be decided)