sony music entertainment case study
Click here to load reader
Post on 14-Aug-2015
Embed Size (px)
- 1. Scouting For Girls
- 2. The members of the band are Roy Stride, Greg Churchouse and Pete Ellard The founding members of the band went to school in London together and then moved on to a music career. By the time they were signed they had built up a fanbase on MySpace and Pulse Rated. They had also already written a demo of "Heartbeat" and produced a video for "The Aeroplane Song". This is an example of synergy between technology and music 14 February 2007, Scouting for Girls were signed to Epic UK as a full band, ready to release their first single. The band's first release was the It's Not About You EP, released on 25 June 2007. It sold-out, and became the highest charting limited edition EP in chart history.
- 3. The album was released in September 2007, and has sold more than 900,000 copies in the UK alone. Scouting for Girls first album was #1 in the UK on the 20 January 2008 for 2 weeks The band toured the UK in 2007 and 2008, with sold out concerts in every city they performed. Scouting for Girls also made a series of appearances in Europe, Japan, Australia and America in 2008, including performances at 2008's SXSW Conference in Austin, Texas and CMJ in New York City. The band's final tour of the year concluded with two sold-out nights at London's Hammersmith Apollo, and one at London's Brixton Academy.
- 4. "This Ain't a Love Song" which went straight to number 1 in the UK Singles Chart on 4 April 2010. The track has been added to radio playlists in Australia, including Sydney Radio Station: Nova 969 FM as at May 2010. In the lead up to the album's release, Scouting for Girls performed in the Woolpack Pub on the set of long-running British soap, Emmerdale for a Radio Aire session. This is an example of convergence and synergy. The coming together of the music and television industries Scouting for Girls toured their new album throughout 2010, commencing with a full UK tour throughout late April and May 2010. The band also took part in a sponsored Chopper bicycle ride from London to Brighton for the charity WellChild raising over 20,000. The band released the second single, "Famous", from the album on 12 July 2010. The single peaked at number 37 on the UK Singles Chart, giving the band their sixth Top 40 single overall.
- 5. The first single from the album to be released was Summertime In The City. It was released on 27 August 2012. It had its first radio airplay on the Fearne Cotton show 10 July 2012, BBC Radio 1, this would be an example of synergy, music and radio coming together.. The accompanying video is directed by Remy Cayuela, this is also an example of synergy, music and video coming together. The single peaked at number 73 on the UK Official Chart. The Light Between Us debuted at number 10 in the official 100 on 9 September 2012, one week after the release of Summertime In The City.
- 6. Owned by Chris Difford I work from home these days, in my studio downstairs. I write all my lyrics on my computer here in the front room, then Boo [Hewerdine, Difford's songwriting partner], an engineer and I go into the studio [the size of a small bedroom] and lay down all the tracks. It's terribly convenient. Quote from Chris Difford http://www.independent.co.uk/property/house-and-home/chris-difford-its-a-bit-of- a-squeeze-784269.html This means that the studio is outsourced by sony music entertainment because its in his house. This shows that sony have the dollah to hire out studios for their artists.
- 7. a UK based Record Producer / Mixer / Songwriter. He has produced and mixed many multi platinum albums and singles with artists such as Keane, Scouting for Girls, Paolo Nutini, KT Tunstall and The Feeling. His work has won Grammies, Ivor novellos and Brit awards. Employed by Sony.
- 8. Epic was founded in 1953 and is a subsidiary label of SONY ME. Since its beginning it has housed many great artists such as Michael Jackson, Celine Dion, Shakira and of course Scouting For Girls. Today, the label is handled by two CEOs, L.A. Reid and Sylvia Rhone, and is one of the three main labels for Sony Music; with the other two divisions being Columbia and RCA Records. Epic at present signs the winners of The X factor in the USA. This is synergy between TV and music.
- 9. CDs- Scouting for Girls, The Light Between Us, Everybody wants to be on TV Concerts/Tours- As above. Sold out all concerts, Hammersmith Apollo, 02 arena etc. Acoustic tour, spring 2010 Itunes Youtube-They have a Vevo channel, where they post their music videos and extras such as them reacting to their old videos. Tumblr Spotify
- 10. Radio ones live lounge Scouting For Girls Podcast Facebook Tumblr Interviews (find tomorrow) TV Photoshoots Live performances
- 11. Piracy Merch Itunes Spotify Festivals
- 12. Itunes Twitter Other social media