spam email: 8 dos and dont's
Click here to load reader
Post on 07-Aug-2015
Embed Size (px)
- 1. SPAM EMAIL 8 Dos and Donts @sanebox
- 2. Spam(noun) spam Irrelevant or inappropriate messages sent on the Internet to a large number of recipients.
- 3. Roughly 130 billion spam emails are sent every day! statistics Bonus fact: The US and China account for about 40% of all spam. sources: http://mashable.com/2013/08/09/70-percent-email-is-spam/ http://securelist.com/analysis/monthly-spam-reports/58559/spam-report-february-2014/ http://usa.kaspersky.com/internet-security-center/threats/spam-statistics-report-q2-2013#.U- FlG4BdXOU
- 4. Thats a lot of spam!
- 5. Spammers have many sneaky ways of getting your email address
- 6. Anywhere you post your email address online is fair game.
- 7. If a computer is infected, spammers can access its address book.
- 8. Spammers automate the process by using robots to crawl webpages.
- 9. Take action the last thing you want is to compromise your email account! Spammers use many other tactics These are just a few of the most common.
- 10. Spam is used to get your and Personal Info, Passwords, Financial Data,
- 11. Spread viruses
- 12. That all sounds terrible right? Heres what you can do to fight spam
- 13. + Dos
- 14. Use a disposable email address. #1
- 15. Services like Mailinator allow you to get emails without exposing your real email address.
- 17. Make sure the site is reputable before signing up for anything. Watch out for sign me up for newsletters.
- 18. Report spam #3
- 19. Most email services have a report spam button right in your inbox.
- 20. Google search #4
- 21. You can also do this with spam phone calls just Google the number that called you. If youre suspicious of an email, Google it. Chances are you arent the only one who got it.
- 22. + Donts
- 23. Dont post your email address online! #1
- 24. Spammers get email addresses from blogs, forums, and websites like craigslist.
- 25. Dont open attachments if something seems off. #2
- 26. Even if you recognize the sender, keep any eye out for anything usual Their account may have been hacked.
- 27. Dont always trust trustworthyemails. #3
- 28. Sometimes spammers phish by copying the email formats of reputable companies. Most of these are easy to spot, but keep an eye out some of them can be pretty convincing.
- 29. Never reply to spam emails. #4
- 30. Spammers will love you! This exposes you as a person who engages with their email.
- 31. Spam filters have gotten much better over the years, but its still good to know what to look out for. Spammers constantly change their tactics to get into your inbox.
- 32. If your spam filter isnt good enough, here are a few alternatives. Spamihilator works with any POP3 or IMAP mail client. MailWasher works with any email service.
- 33. SPAMfighter works with Outlook, Outlook Express, Thunderbird, Windows Mail, and Apple Mail. Report spam emails at spamcop.net.
- 34. Presented by For more helpful tips, check out our SlideShare and blog! Twitter Facebook Google+ LinkedIn