the xt e tat s tt at qhp t2

Jr'(i If tH tons, nnHl toxlnf le THE XT E TAT S TT 2 AT QHP A T2 Tou mn una u in T1IK UTAH Part 18 of Tho World's Fair Portfolios lloady Tomorrow 1 VOL. XII. HONOLULU, T. II., FRIDAY, OCTOBER ai, 1904. No. 39Z COMMANDER OF COSSACKS IfI MAJOR GENERAL, GRECKOFF. NOTLEY LEFT THE PLATFORM HOME RULE CANDIDATE WAS ASKED A VERY UNPLEASANT QUESTION. . HILO, October 18 The Hllo Ilsh mar- ket has been resounding of late with campaign oratory. Charles Notley and Jonah Kumalae entertained a few friends and some others there Friday night. When interrupted by T. J. Ry- an, the Olaa statesman, with, an in- quiry regarding his record In the Hllo custom house, Charley got mad and came down from thr platform, threat- ening to put a head on his tormenter. Saturday the Democrats held full sway, with LeBlond In command, and John Raker, Frank Woods, David Ewa-llk- o, Nalelehua, Henry West and oth- ers expounding Democratic doctrine. IMPLICATED IN A CRIME. , Kalna Antone Andrade, a Portu- guese youth, charged with setting fire to the trash house at Naalehu, Kau, on August 14, has confessed to the po- lice Implicating a native named Peke Bill. The latter was arrested on a warrant and brought to the city today by the Mauna Loa for examination. HIGH SHERIFF HAS RECOVERED. High Sheriff Brown has recovered from his recent indisposition and Is again at his post at the police station. STOLE SOME CHICKENS. The Melrose was, robbed of half a dozen chickens last night. BEGIN TO SAVE. Don't throw that couple of dollars away every month. Put them in the Mutual Building & Loan Society and they'll be there, with increase, when you need them by and by. Iv. H. Trent, secretary. 938 Fort Street. EXTRA. Special sale of business envelopes $1 a thousand. In larfer lots better rates. Arlelgh & Co. FAMILY RECEIPTS. If you have some receipt that you wish prepared brlnr us the copy and we will take pains putting It up. We have" a large laboratory and facilities for conducting this work. Hobron Drug Company. Star Want Ads pay 5 cents.. Aside from the Security Afforded by our safe deposit vaults, we offer advantages such aa cannot be obtained else- where. A private room for the per- sonal er. .ilnatlon of papers is furnished and every con- venience supplied to custom- ers. (IiWq 111 TRUSTCO..LTD Fort Street, ft Honolulu Major General Greckoff is .a com- mander of Cosaweks with General ln In Manchuria, and ha been active in the recent fighting. Ill force were specially prominent In the first large battle at Llaoyang, where the Russian commander found his cavalry arm a very effective one. Gen- eral Greckoff has a brilliant record and Ills force of Cossacks are esteemed as among the best fighters of their kind In the world. LEPERS WANT S010RAT0RY A PETITION WITH MANY SIGNA- TURES ASKING THAT SPEAK- ERS COME. W. A. Klnnev, chairman of the De mocratic Central Committee, has re- ceived the following letter from Kalau. papa: "W. A. Kinney, Chairman Central Committee Democratic Party, Hono lulu. Dear Sir: In accordance with the wishes of the voters of this precinct to hear Candidate C. P. Iauke.a and other candidates for leglsdntllve honors. herewith send you and through you a petition signed by 203 qualified voters to be presented to the Executive pray ing the Governor and President of th Rpjird of Health that candidates of alt political parties be permitted to enter the Leper Kettlement nd make politi cal addresses so they can hear' and know their respective views. A copy of the enclosed petition Is to be for- warded to C. P. Inukea by tl;is mall. 'Yours truly, "JOHN T. UNEA, "Secretary Democratic Precinct Club." Enclosed w ith the letter was the sign- ed petition of which the following is a translation: "We, whose names are hereunder subscribed, American citizens and hav- ing the right to vote, residing at Kala- wao and Kiilaupapa, Island of Molokal, T. H.. hereby petition Governor Carter and iL. E. Plnkhum, Prewident of the Board of Health of the Territory of Hawaii, that permission be granted the candidates for Delegate, Senators and Representatives of all political parties to come and make addresses so that we may hear what they have to say on the political questions of the day." The petition is said to have z03 signa- tures. A Lingering Cold may result In con- sumption. Chamberlain's .Cough Rem- edy cures coughs, colds and Influenza. It contains no harmful substance and Is pleasant and safe to take. For sale by all dealers. Benson, Smith & Co., agents for Hawaii. REMARKALLE SALE AT SACHS. N. S. Sachs Dry Goods Co. offer Irish Point Squares and Scarfs at extraor- dinary prices commencing Tuesday, October 18. Goods are on display in Beretania street window. Don't miss this chance. BUSTER BROWN JUST ARRIVED. The new edition of "Buster" Is now on sale also "The new adventures of Foxy Grandpa." Call early as the edition Is limited. Wall. Nichols Co. Star Want Ads cay 25 cents.. SHOTGUNS, RIFLES, REVOLVER" Ammunitions A FULL LINE AT I PEARSON 8 POTTER CO. Limited 931 FORT ST." ET, rw orties From Port (Associated Press ClllIFOO, October 21. The bombardment of Port Arthur was renewed on the iCtli by the Japanose forces. struck by the Japanese shells. The sorties. ST. 21. Star.) RUSSIA'S PETERSBURG, October of the two in unchanged. The Russian killed during the recent(battle includes uencral and seventeen officers. It is believed that the total of Russian losses in the battle will be under 30,000. October 21. Great Britain has refused the request of for permission to land troops at Wolfish Bay to oppose the natives in South west Africa. r .. MANY BULGARIANS. SALONICA, October 21. The Greeks near Fiorina. TO NAME PEACE DELEGATES. WASHINGTON, D. C, October 21. The invite the Powers to name to the peace to The Hague. 0 TER Whether or no Governor Carter will take any part in the present polit ical campaign is still ufedecided, but close of the fight that he will be seen "I am really too much at Arthur buildings Russians REPORT Manchuria BRITAIN SHUTS OUTGERMANY BERLIN, Germany GREEKS President delegates conference SAYS MAY TAKE PART occupied eration that it deserves," said the Governor this "I do not in any sense share in the view that the governor of a state or territory should by reason of his office refrain from taking part a political campaign, if I thought that it would do any good I haps later on. The idea of trying level appeals to me. I should like to Cable to KILL in a campaign which would be one of issues in which all of the bestelement of the community would take part and if I could do anything towards bring- ing about that end I would sacrifice a good deal. On the other hand I am not an issue in the present campaign. plans have carried and believe that are all right. as dignity office, while replying and without Every person judges acts of concluded Governor Carter, "and some can Much local discussion has been arous- ed the cable, news that at the Ho-hon- l: conference Gormon declared that it was a grave to give Hawallans suffrage W. N. predicted Asiatic of tho Islands. The conference in was general discussion of the of the new inland of the United States, as as of Indians was attended by many men. The speakers includ- ed numbor men of national repute. more twenty years Lake Molionk, 1 "s been the scene annual assemblies for the of cer- tain human and philanthropic Interests have given place a world- wide influence. of these assemblies of conferences, a they are oalled, was held in October. in the Interest of the Indians. These In- dian conference have been held reg- ularly Lake Mohonk every since, rvyays conferences grew out The Many and sonic ships were have been successful positions armies remain Held will morning. and General reports that the killed twenty Bulgarians in a riot HE in any event it will not be.until the on the platform. present to give matter the consid would not hesitate to take part per to aid in lifting politics to a higher see a campaign free from personalities, The policy as governor I have another from his own of view, people should be careful when they MOHONK Albert K. personal lnttrist In the welfare the aborigines to the promotion of which he has long been identified in other ways. He lias been a meiriber of the board of Indian com- missioners since 1879, under appoint- ment from Presldout Hayes. "The will be held," Mr. Smiley declared at the first session, "until every Indian lias Ills rights." At the session last October'ho chair man was the Hon. John D. Long, for merly secretary of the navy. During the past few :ears the Outober conferences at Lake Mohonk have wld ened their scope, and with it their In' teret, by including among tho topics of discussion, the condition of the Alas kau Indian, the Filipinos the Ilawal' lans and the native Porto Ricans. Tills enlargement of the conference platform has brought within the range of deliberations , and recommendations such prewlng and vital problem as are adopted and the which I out are those in which I have confidence, I that time will show they So far the governorship goes I wish to lend what I can to the so it is hardly worth to puerile petty attacks made by persons examination or investigation. pass judgment lest they are standing down in a valley and are fondly imagining that they see the whole horizon." AT bv yesterday Oilman error and Armstrong control question a affairs terri- tories well and prominent a of For than of promotion which the fame and The llrst at year 'In, Ootqber. These of making Sakiioroff the which point Smlley's of conferences Its the the (Continued to Page 5.) " SECOND EDITION i 101 ID ClUIIffl OUT OF THEIR OFFICES As the result of a disagreement witli Governor Carter over police mat- ters, High Sheriff A. M. Brown tendered his resignation this afternoon la the Governor as head of the Territorial police department. The resignation, was at once accepted and William Henry, the jailor warden of the Oaliu penitentiary, was asked by Governor Carter to become High Sheriff, and accepted the appointment. Mr. Hatter is to be the new deputy. This interview occurred about 2 o'clock this afternoon. Shortly after 3 o'clock Governor Carter, Mr. Henry and Auditor Fisher went to the police A. M. BROWN, EX-HIG- H SHERIFF. station where a conference was had between them relative to the retire- ment of Brown and Henry taking the new position. With the retirement of Brown, Deputy High Sheriff ChillingwQrtlt, also retires. He was called into the office of the High Sheriff and there notified by the Governor that Henry was the new High Shriff and would appoint his own deputy. Mr. Hatter is to succeed Mr. Chillingworth. Henry will take charge at once. The entire police force will assemble to- morrow morning to receive their commissions from the new High Sheriff. "There was no friction about the matter," said Governor Carter. "The High Sheriff and 1 could not agree about certain matters pertaining to the management of the police department and the enforcement of the laws. We had a conversation this afternoon, and as we did not agree, the High Sheriff said that he had better withdraw and allow full scope In the carry- ing out of my views. I said that if he desired to do so, all right. He sat down and wrote out the letter at once. I then called up Mr. Henry and asked him to accept the position, and he did so." SAVE TOUR MONEY. The Twenty-Nint- h Series of Stock In the Pioneer Building & Loan Associa- tion will be Issued in July, 1904, and is now open for subscription. The mem- bership fee is fifty cents per share, and the monthly dues are one dollar per month per share. The stock draws much better Interest than a saving's bank. Further Information can be obtained from A. V. Gear, Secretary, 122 King Street. THE OLD RELIABLE pmmn Absolutely Puro WERE IS NO SUBSTITUTE Star Want A,ds pay 25 cents., This "Malta" Last Is Yery Popular Patent and shiny leathers will be favorites always. Some seasons ago shoes had a nar- row toe. It was pretty butlt phjeh- - ed. Very luctandjr )voman.ve Tup This season shcnwlrs'7jftve.,oui tained the offset lUuconifort? You will see it in tmB'new shape of Laird, Sohober & Co.'s footwear. Oxfords made ' 1 eal kid, golf out, dull top and now Cuban ,heel. Light, tlcxlble turned sole. Has the latest pointed toe. Price $5.00 MANUFACTURER'S IE CO., LIMITED I 1057 FORT STREET

Upload: others

Post on 05-Dec-2021

Category:

Documents

0 download

TRANSCRIPT

Page 1: THE XT E TAT S TT AT QHP T2

Jr'(iIf tH

tons,nnHl

toxlnfle THE XT E TAT S TT 2 AT QHP A T2

Tou mn una u inT1IK UTAH

Part 18 of Tho World's Fair Portfolios lloady Tomorrow 1

VOL. XII. HONOLULU, T. II., FRIDAY, OCTOBER ai, 1904. No. 39Z

COMMANDEROF COSSACKS

IfI

MAJOR GENERAL, GRECKOFF.

NOTLEY LEFT

THE PLATFORM

HOME RULE CANDIDATE WAS

ASKED A VERY UNPLEASANTQUESTION.

. HILO, October 18 The Hllo Ilsh mar-ket has been resounding of late withcampaign oratory. Charles Notley andJonah Kumalae entertained a fewfriends and some others there Fridaynight. When interrupted by T. J. Ry-an, the Olaa statesman, with, an in-

quiry regarding his record In the Hllocustom house, Charley got mad andcame down from thr platform, threat-ening to put a head on his tormenter.

Saturday the Democrats held fullsway, with LeBlond In command, andJohn Raker, Frank Woods, David Ewa-llk- o,

Nalelehua, Henry West and oth-ers expounding Democratic doctrine.

IMPLICATED IN A CRIME. ,

Kalna Antone Andrade, a Portu-guese youth, charged with setting fireto the trash house at Naalehu, Kau,on August 14, has confessed to the po-

lice Implicating a native named PekeBill. The latter was arrested on awarrant and brought to the city todayby the Mauna Loa for examination.

HIGH SHERIFF HAS RECOVERED.High Sheriff Brown has recovered

from his recent indisposition and Isagain at his post at the police station.

STOLE SOME CHICKENS.The Melrose was, robbed of half a

dozen chickens last night.

BEGIN TO SAVE.Don't throw that couple of dollars

away every month. Put them in theMutual Building & Loan Society andthey'll be there, with increase, whenyou need them by and by. Iv. H. Trent,secretary. 938 Fort Street.

EXTRA.Special sale of business envelopes $1

a thousand. In larfer lots better rates.Arlelgh & Co.

FAMILY RECEIPTS.If you have some receipt that you

wish prepared brlnr us the copy andwe will take pains putting It up. Wehave" a large laboratory and facilitiesfor conducting this work. HobronDrug Company.

Star Want Ads pay 5 cents..

Aside fromthe SecurityAffordedby our safe deposit vaults,we offer advantages such aacannot be obtained else-where.

A private room for the per-sonal er. .ilnatlon of papersis furnished and every con-venience supplied to custom-ers. (IiWq

111TRUSTCO..LTD

Fort Street, ftHonolulu

Major General Greckoff is .a com-mander of Cosaweks with General ln

In Manchuria, and ha beenactive in the recent fighting. Illforce were specially prominent In thefirst large battle at Llaoyang, wherethe Russian commander found hiscavalry arm a very effective one. Gen-eral Greckoff has a brilliant record andIlls force of Cossacks are esteemed asamong the best fighters of their kindIn the world.

LEPERS WANT

S010RAT0RY

A PETITION WITH MANY SIGNA-

TURES ASKING THAT SPEAK-

ERS COME.

W. A. Klnnev, chairman of the Democratic Central Committee, has re-

ceived the following letter from Kalau.papa:

"W. A. Kinney, Chairman CentralCommittee Democratic Party, Honolulu. Dear Sir: In accordance with thewishes of the voters of this precinct tohear Candidate C. P. Iauke.a and othercandidates for leglsdntllve honors.herewith send you and through you apetition signed by 203 qualified votersto be presented to the Executive praying the Governor and President of thRpjird of Health that candidates of altpolitical parties be permitted to enterthe Leper Kettlement nd make political addresses so they can hear' andknow their respective views. A copyof the enclosed petition Is to be for-warded to C. P. Inukea by tl;is mall.

'Yours truly,"JOHN T. UNEA,

"Secretary Democratic Precinct Club."Enclosed w ith the letter was the sign-

ed petition of which the following is atranslation:

"We, whose names are hereundersubscribed, American citizens and hav-ing the right to vote, residing at Kala-wao and Kiilaupapa, Island of Molokal,T. H.. hereby petition Governor Carterand iL. E. Plnkhum, Prewident of theBoard of Health of the Territory ofHawaii, that permission be granted thecandidates for Delegate, Senators andRepresentatives of all political partiesto come and make addresses so that wemay hear what they have to say on thepolitical questions of the day."

The petition is said to have z03 signa-tures.

A Lingering Cold may result In con-sumption. Chamberlain's .Cough Rem-edy cures coughs, colds and Influenza.It contains no harmful substance andIs pleasant and safe to take. For saleby all dealers. Benson, Smith & Co.,agents for Hawaii.

REMARKALLE SALE AT SACHS.N. S. Sachs Dry Goods Co. offer Irish

Point Squares and Scarfs at extraor-dinary prices commencing Tuesday,October 18. Goods are on display inBeretania street window. Don't missthis chance.

BUSTER BROWN JUST ARRIVED.The new edition of "Buster" Is now

on sale also "The new adventures ofFoxy Grandpa." Call early as theedition Is limited. Wall. Nichols Co.

Star Want Ads cay 25 cents..

SHOTGUNS,RIFLES,REVOLVER"

AmmunitionsA FULL LINE AT

IPEARSON 8 POTTER CO.

Limited

931 FORT ST." ET,

rw

orties From

Port(Associated Press

ClllIFOO, October 21. The bombardment of Port Arthur was renewedon the iCtli by the Japanose forces.struck by the Japanese shells. Thesorties.

ST. 21.

Star.)

RUSSIA'S

PETERSBURG, Octoberof the two in unchanged. The Russian

killed during the recent(battle includes uencral and seventeenofficers. It is believed that the total of Russian losses in the battle will beunder 30,000.

October 21. Great Britain has refused the request offor permission to land troops at Wolfish Bay to oppose the natives in Southwest Africa. r ..

MANY BULGARIANS.

SALONICA, October 21. The Greeksnear Fiorina.

TO NAME PEACE DELEGATES.

WASHINGTON, D. C, October 21. The invite the Powersto name to the peace to The Hague.

TER

Whether or no Governor Carter will take any part in the present political campaign is still ufedecided, butclose of the fight that he will be seen

"I am really too much at

Arthur

buildingsRussians

REPORTManchuria

BRITAIN SHUTSOUTGERMANY

BERLIN, Germany

GREEKS

Presidentdelegates conference

SAYS

MAY TAKE PART

occupiederation that it deserves," said the Governor this "I do not in anysense share in the view that the governor of a state or territory should byreason of his office refrain from taking part a political campaign, ifI thought that it would do any good I

haps later on. The idea of tryinglevel appeals to me. I should like to

Cable to

KILL

in

a campaign which would be one of issues in which all of the bestelementof the community would take part and if I could do anything towards bring-

ing about that end I would sacrifice a good deal. On the other hand I amnot an issue in the present campaign.

plans have carriedand believe that are all right.

as dignity office,

while replying andwithout

Every person judges acts ofconcluded Governor Carter, "and some

can

Much local discussion has been arous-ed the cable, news that at the Ho-hon- l:

conference Gormondeclared that it was a grave

to give Hawallans suffrageW. N. predicted Asiatic

of tho Islands. The conferencein was general discussionof the of the new inland

of the United States, as asof Indians was attended by many

men. The speakers includ-ed numbor men of national repute.

more twenty years LakeMolionk, 1 "s been the scene annualassemblies for the of cer-

tain human and philanthropic Interestshave given place a world-

wide influence. ofthese assemblies of conferences, a theyare oalled, was held in October. inthe Interest of the Indians. These In-

dian conference have been held reg-

ularly Lake Mohonk everysince, rvyays

conferences grew out

The

Many and sonic ships werehave been successful

positions armies remainHeld

will

morning.

and

General reports that the

killed twenty Bulgarians in a riot

HE

in any event it will not be.until theon the platform.

present to give matter the consid

would not hesitate to take part perto aid in lifting politics to a higher

see a campaign free from personalities,

The policy as governor I have

another from his own of view,people should be careful when they

MOHONK

Albert K. personal lnttrist Inthe welfare the aborigines to thepromotion of which he has long beenidentified in other ways. He lias beena meiriber of the board of Indian com-

missioners since 1879, under appoint-ment from Presldout Hayes.

"The will be held," Mr.Smiley declared at the first session,"until every Indian lias Ills rights."

At the session last October'ho chairman was the Hon. John D. Long, formerly secretary of the navy.

During the past few :ears the Outoberconferences at Lake Mohonk have wldened their scope, and with it their In'teret, by including among tho topicsof discussion, the condition of the Alaskau Indian, the Filipinos the Ilawal'lans and the native Porto Ricans. Tillsenlargement of the conference platformhas brought within the range ofdeliberations , and recommendationssuch prewlng and vital problem as are

adopted and the which I out are those in which I haveconfidence, I that time will show they So far

the governorship goes I wish to lend what I can to the soit is hardly worth to puerile petty attacks made bypersons examination or investigation.

pass judgment lest they are standing down in a valley and are fondlyimagining that they see the whole horizon."

AT

bvyesterday

Oilmanerror and

Armstrongcontrol

question aaffairs terri-

tories welland

prominenta of

For thanof

promotion

which thefame and The llrst

at year'In, Ootqber.

These of

making

Sakiioroff

the

which

point

Smlley'sof

conferences

Its

the

the

(Continued to Page 5.)

"SECONDEDITION

i

101 ID ClUIIfflOUT OF THEIR OFFICES

As the result of a disagreement witli Governor Carter over police mat-

ters, High Sheriff A. M. Brown tendered his resignation this afternoon lathe Governor as head of the Territorial police department. The resignation,was at once accepted and William Henry, the jailor warden of the Oaliupenitentiary, was asked by Governor Carter to become High Sheriff, andaccepted the appointment. Mr. Hatter is to be the new deputy.

This interview occurred about 2 o'clock this afternoon. Shortly after 3o'clock Governor Carter, Mr. Henry and Auditor Fisher went to the police

A. M. BROWN, EX-HIG- H SHERIFF.

station where a conference was had between them relative to the retire-ment of Brown and Henry taking the new position.

With the retirement of Brown, Deputy High Sheriff ChillingwQrtlt, alsoretires. He was called into the office of the High Sheriff and there notifiedby the Governor that Henry was the new High Shriff and would appoint hisown deputy. Mr. Hatter is to succeed Mr. Chillingworth.

Henry will take charge at once. The entire police force will assemble to-

morrow morning to receive their commissions from the new High Sheriff."There was no friction about the matter," said Governor Carter. "The

High Sheriff and 1 could not agree about certain matters pertaining to themanagement of the police department and the enforcement of the laws.We had a conversation this afternoon, and as we did not agree, the HighSheriff said that he had better withdraw and allow full scope In the carry-ing out of my views. I said that if he desired to do so, all right. He satdown and wrote out the letter at once. I then called up Mr. Henry andasked him to accept the position, and he did so."

SAVE TOUR MONEY.The Twenty-Nint- h Series of Stock In

the Pioneer Building & Loan Associa-tion will be Issued in July, 1904, and isnow open for subscription. The mem-bership fee is fifty cents per share, andthe monthly dues are one dollar permonth per share. The stock drawsmuch better Interest than a saving'sbank.

Further Information can be obtainedfrom A. V. Gear, Secretary, 122 KingStreet.

THE OLD RELIABLE

pmmnAbsolutely Puro

WERE IS NO SUBSTITUTE

Star Want A,ds pay 25 cents.,

This

"Malta" Last

Is Yery Popular

Patent and shiny leathers will befavorites always.

Some seasons ago shoes had a nar-row toe. It was pretty butlt phjeh- -ed. Very luctandjr )voman.ve Tup

This season shcnwlrs'7jftve.,ouitained the offset lUuconifort?

You will see it in tmB'new shape ofLaird, Sohober & Co.'s footwear.

Oxfords made ' 1 eal kid, golf out,dull top and now Cuban ,heel. Light,tlcxlble turned sole. Has the latestpointed toe.

Price $5.00

MANUFACTURER'S IE CO.,

LIMITED

I 1057 FORT STREET

Page 2: THE XT E TAT S TT AT QHP T2

(HSR

Oceanic Steamship Company.

fPfc An rMnffr RtMtnvrt of thiit fcrundrr.

PROM lAN FRAMCMCO.ONOMA OCT IAHAMBDA 9Cf. M

bt&ntura oct. mLambda. 25' 1

bmka SW. '

aLambda sov.ONOMA 0. tALAMBDA OBC. 1

Leal JiocA

lln II .rlv at Mtd port

PKAMCMCO.

VRKTUHA .OCT. 4

AtAKBDAtBftft. PTlAkAMKDA 2',!oifoMAAUAX1DA .....NOV.

.......DUO. C

AUOtJSDA I5MC.

In oonnotlon with t" eWHng f lh e afeeve stMrs, the Agents art pre-

wired to leeue to Intending pHgrs coupon hrourh tickets by any railroadfem Ban Frai. Cisco all points In the Unltei' St&tee, and from New York byBtaaahlp line to all European l'orts.

Tor further particulars apply

W. G. Irwin St Co.(Llui ITED)

General Agex8 Oceanic S. S. Company,

Canadian -- Australian Royal Mai

STEAMSHIP COMPANYSteamers of the above line, running in connection wltv the CANADIAN-BXCIFJ- C

RAILWAY COMPANY between Vancouver, B. C, and Sydney, N.L SV., and calling at Victoria, B. C, Honolulu and Brisbane, Q.

Duo at Honolula on or about the dates below stated, tJz:FOR AUSTRALIA. OR " ANCOUVER.

fAORANGI OCT. 22 MIOWERA OCT. 19

MIOWERA NOV. 19 MOAN A NOV. 16

MOANA DEC. 17

IAORANGI JAN. 14

MIOWERA FEB. 11

MOANA MAR. 11

IAORANGI APR. 8

rvrrowHRA. MAY 6

VKKTOKA

AORANGIMIOWERA JAN.

AORANGI MAR,MIOWERA

MAY

CALLING AT SUVA, FIJI, ON BOTH UP DOWNGlib.

IfiEO. DAVIES & CO., Ltd., Gen'l Agts.

Pacific Mail Steamship Co.Occidental & Oriental S. S. Co

the above Companies will call and leave thisport or about the dates below mentioned: AitSiij

FOR CHINA AND JAPAN.SIBERIA OCT. 14

MON&OLIA OCT. 20

CHINA NOV. 1

DORIC , NOV. 16

COPTIC DEC. 3

DEC. 10

GAELIC DEC. 20

SIBERIA DEC. 241905.

MONGOLIA JAN. 4

Call at Manila.

For general information apply to

this

22T'

DEC.

MOANA FEB.

APR.MOANA

ANDVOYA

H.

Steamers Honolulu

KOREA

FRANCISCO.DORIC OCT.MANCHURIA OCT.COPTIC NOV.KOREA NOV.GAELIC NOV.SIBERIA NOV.MONGOLIA DEC.CHINA DEC.

DORIC JAN.

H. Hackfeld & Co.AMERICAN HAWAIIAN STEAMSHIP COMPANY.

DIRECT MONTHLY SERVICE BETWEEN NEWYORK HONOLULU, VIA PACIFIC COAST.

From NEW YORK for HONOLULU via Pacific Coast.S. S. NEBRASKAN To sail about October 8thS. S. ARIZONAN To sail about November ist

From SAN FRANCISCO to HONOLULU direct.S. S. NEVADAN To November

From HONOLULU to SAN FRANCISCO via Puget Sound.S. S. NEVADAN To October 18th

From SEATTLE and TACOMA via San Francisco.S. S. NEVADAN From Seattle November istS. S, NEVADAN From Tacoma November

H. HcxolrfolclC. P. MORSE, General Freight Agent.

M. H. '

!

II

to

88S

of aton

26..v301024

We our M. H. brand ofjams and jelllw.

It Is put up for us by oneour for the and purestour fo and purest

of fruits now athand,

He

iiuiiii 1 uiiii vi uvi

6p

PUR AAK

FOR SAN

AND

'I) u

22 TELEPHONES 92.

sail 9th

sail

2nd

Co.,AGENTS.

suaranteepreserves,

especiallyreputation bestreDutation rthe best

groceries.Full assortment

s

WW HAT AtMN MAM, WOtUV KtnWh l iM

PI471. or )

l'lill M.

124th,

mmOct m. p.m. a.m.IT 10.14 1.4 1.44 1.41 LIT

It 11.11 1.1

ji.iti.1 il.ll l.l

1.04 1.2II 1.44 l.t

R.lll.n i.t7 1.4

IS 1.00 1.524 8.12 1.7

I nt 0

a.

.m.9.W

e.te1.Ml.Mp.m.2.182.61

H -S.tt .M S.IT I.M 1.11

C.I47.UT.K

6.117.107,T

SJSM8

M86.00

t.tt 1.11t.n in

S.48

S.SO11.28 I.K

RlwTimes of the tide are taken from the

U. S, Coa t and Qeodetto Survey tables. The tides at .nhulu. and IIUoocour about one hour earlier than atHonolulu. Hawaiian standard time Is10 hours 30 minutes slower than Green-wich time, being that of the meridianof 157 degreess 30 minutes. The timewhistle blows at p. m., which Isthe same as Greenwich, 0 hours, 0 min-utes. The Sun and moon are for localtime for the whole group.

ARRIVING.Friday, October 21.

Stmr. Kauai. Ilruhn, from KaatiapaliHumtikua ports at 12:10 a. 111. wltli

2417 fire bricks, 159 packages line kilnparts.

Stmr. Noeau, Pederson, from Kauaiports at 5:38 n. in. with 422 bags rice,18 bags rice bran, 21 packages sundries.

ffr

Stmr. Mauna Loa, Simerson, from La--lialna .Maalaea, Kona and Kau ports at5.15 a. :n. with 32 head cattle, 1091 bagscoffee, 213 bunches bananas, 34 bagsawa, 8,030 bags sugar, 15 pigs, 13 crateschickens, 19 kegs and 3 tins butter.crates fruits, 37 crates fish, 211 bagstaro, 43 bags beans, 22 bags ginger 37

crates honey, 2 bundles hides.S. S. Aorangl, Phillips, from Victoria

and Vancouver, may arrive this evening.

Saturday, October 22.

Stmr. Kinau, Freeman, from HIlo andway ports due In forenoon.

Sunday, October 23,

-

Stmr. W. G. Hall, S. Thompson, fromKauai ports due early In morning.

Stmr. Claudlne, Parker, from Maulports due enrly in morning.

S.ll

4.S

1:30

and

Stmr. Llkellke, Napala, from Kawal- -hae, Lanal, Maul and. Molokal ports,due.

DEPARTING.Thursday, October 20,

S. S. Nevodan, Greene, for Kahuluiat C p. m.

Friday, OctoberStmr. Woialeale, Tullett, for Ahukini

and leeward ports with explosives at 0p. m.

S. S. Aorangl, Phillips, for Suva,rlsbane and Sydney may sail In even

ing.

PASSENGERS.Arriving.

fPer stmr. Mauna Loa, October 21

from Kau S. Lesser, Henry Akl, fromKona ports, Aokl, Miss Mary Nu, MissWight, Klmlknhe Nakanunu, Mrs. Fernandez, W. W. iBruner, Mrs. A. Hock-ing and child and maid, from Mauiports, li. --Meyer, 13. Vincent, J. Itego, V.Esplnda, A. Garcia, Kun, w. Bailey, W.Crowell, Mrs. S.'B. Harry, K. Smith, T.Krueger, J. Garcia and wife, N. Krueger, W. Morris, It. Jackson, J. Lightfoot, A. Mnhaulu, W. Green, J. O. Hell-ley-

Mrs. Newcastle and 6 Sdeck.Per stmr. Noeau, October 21, from

Kauai ports, J. A. Doyle, Mrs. DeverlllCol. Spalding, Mrs. Fredenberg and 7

deckPer stmr. Kauai, October 21, from

Maul M. H. Lentz.Departing.

Per stmr. Mlkahala, October 20, forKauai imrts Dr. F. A. St. Sure, A. F,Zamloeh, C. F. Zamloch, W. Marks andwife, P. Gleason, S. Gumpher, CharlesGay, L. Aokoopahu, F. J. LlndermannA. Williams, II. C. Mossman, H. IBenson, G. Knlaluhl, En Sul, B. Joy, C.K. Hune and wife, J. Allen, Mrs. S. K,Kaeo, N. Esplnda, M. Lorenz, D. Garvin, J. M. Davis, Mr. Nischert, II. Defries, A. Kruse.

Per schr. W. H. Marston, October 13for San Francisco: Mrs. J. St. JohnMrs. J. Llghtner, Miss I. V. Stoddard

Per bark Mohican, October 20, forSan Francisco: Miss Bell.

LAHAINA.was a spiritedThere Republican

meeting at the fish market, near thewharf on Tuesday evening. Row SKapu of Lahalna presided, and theregular speakers were as followsPrince Kalanlanaole, and candidatesNakulna and Desha.

Rev. S. Fuji! is the newly-nppolnt-

pastor ut the Japanese Methodist Mission.

The attendance at the Japanese Bud-dhist Temple is Increasing and thebuilding will be enlarged.

A THIEF RACE.A novel event at a sports meeting

held at Lowestoft, Eng., in connectionwith a police picnic was a "thief" race,In which the thief had startand was allowed to run anywherewithin an inclosure. The "thief" eluded capture for the stipulated time ofthree minutes and took the prize.

A Friond in Neea is a Friend Indeed. That is exactly what Chamberlain s Cough Remedy is. It Is themother's help when she Is suddenlyawakened in the night by the ominoushusky cough, and labored breathing ofher babe. It Is the safe resort of theyouth or adult when he has "caughtcold" and theie is coughing and irritatlon of the mucous membranes of thethroat. It allays the irritation andcures the cold. Sold by all dealersBenson, Smith & Co., agents for Hawaii.

Star ""IVnt Ado py 25 cents.

DOLLARDOES IT

Most of our readers arc aware of the fact that wc arc a

magniflcont scries of St. Louis World's Fair views, picturing all the won-

ders and glories of this crowning effort of Twentieth Century Genius. These

superb albums form a complete pictorial and descriptive history of the Lout

slana Purchase and they will constitute a most attractive por-

tion of thousands of libraries. For those who have not yet taken advan-

tage of the given them of securing that collection of perfectpictures embodied in

The Exposition Art Albumswe have a special proposition which is certainly one of the most liberal

ever made by any paper.

FOR ONLY $ 1 .00We Send You the First .

TEN Numbers

The Forest City PortfoliosAnd that most unique and interestingof magazines, the Special

World's Fair Cosmopolitan

This Offer rieans a Value of $2.60 to You for $100Only Good for a Brief Period. Act Now

(Orders for the Cosmopolitan are sent East; four weeks' time will berequired to receive a copy.)

World's FairThe Special World's Fair number

of the COSMOPOLITAN contains144 pages and 200 illustrations. Inevery respect it is complete and sat-isfying. There is missing from itspages no detail which visitors to theExposition might care to recall, ornon-visito- rs to know about.

Cosmopolitan

Publishers Hawaiian Star:Inclosed $1.00 which please parts

FOREST Portfolios World'sNumber

Address

REMEMBER is nothing cheap the Forest Seriesbut the price. The pictures are the possible to obtainand the descriptions are beyond criticism.

THE WORLD'S FAIR ART PORTFOLIOS

A D

distributing

Qxposltlon,

opportunity

Will

(September) COSMOPOLITAN.

There abont Cityfinest

These beautiful art-vie- (there are them) taken the officialphotographer of the Exposition, the vivid descriptive matter is writtenby Secretary Stevens of beguile many an affordmuch useful knowledge. views be highly prized much enjoyedby young alike. of parts (you should secure them

prove

elighf to Every Member of the FamiAffording equal enjoyment to those visit to

Seventeen Parts Now ReadyPart 8 Ready Tomorrow

How to Secure the Views.These lews, which "111 constitute a

complete reflex and record of the Ex-position, are not distributed by us as a

" of proat, but rather Vj pleaseour readers. Although the regularprice Is 25 cents, we pkee tho entireseries T the reach ofat only

10c a Partto the of HANDLING,WRAPPING, ADDRESSING, MAIL-ING, ETC. Slmrly nil out theat the right and bring or send to uswith ten cents, and 1 will be mall-r- C

to you at Addres?,

for send me the first tenof THE CITY series of Art The Fair

of the

Name P. O. Box

480 of by

andthe Fair, will hour andThe will and

old The series 30 all)will

who the Fair and

r'Ader

coupon

those who do

matt

thin every

cover cost

Partonce,

find

and

and

not.

Ill out this Coupon and bring or send to us, with 10 CENTS, as Indicated below.

BE SURE TO STATE WHICH PART YOU WISH

1904.HAWAIIAN STAll,

Honolulu, Hawaii:Enclosed herewith iliid TEN CENTS to cover cost

of postage and expense of mailing No of "The ForestCity," to ivhich t am entitled as one of your readers.

Name

P. 0 Islaud.

HAWAIIAN STAR, Portfolio Department Honolulu, Hawaii

Page 3: THE XT E TAT S TT AT QHP T2

THfc nXATX. IMlltMV n 'T IIKI tl. IMM ,liMJUM

TUB

TAFT WILL TRY NOW ThegANK of Hawaii Good BreacU-Ahea-d

MMtTBD. DressyiMM-porftU- Undtr tht Lwg of tM YKTtrrltorr o Hawaii. flanPAID-U- P CAPITAL fUMH.HlllfKPLUB HMW.WtfHui vidro pRorrw .w m

OPFICRR8 AKD DlttlOCTORS.

OharlM M. Cooke PrwMantP. C. Jones nt

V. W. Macfar1n...Ind VlM-Pratld-

C. II. Orxk CmMC. lluetace Jr AwtaUnt CMhler

B. F. Bishop, K. D. Tenney. J. A.

MCn4ltM and C. II. Athrto

COMMERCIAL AND SAVINGS DE-PARTMENTS.

Strict attention given to all branchesof Banking

JUDD BUILDING. FORT STREET.

Clau Spreckels. Wm. O. Irwin,

Clans SjrG ckels & C o

HONOLULU, H- - L

San Francisco Agents The NevadaNational Bank of San Francisco.

DRAW 15XCIIANGE ONSAN FRANCISCO The Nevada Na-

tional Bank of San Francisco.TONDON Union of London & Smith's

Bank, Ltd.NEW YORK American Exchange Na-

tional Bank.CHICAGO Corn Exchange National

Bank.PARIS Credit LyonnaU.BERLIN Dresdner (Bank.HONGKONG AND YOKOHAMA Tho

Hongkong and Shanghai BankingCorporation.

NEW ZEALAND AND AUSTRALIABank of New Zealand, and Bank of

Australasia,VICTORIA AND VANCOUVER Bank

of British North America.

TRANSACT A GENERAL BANKINGAND EXCHANGE BUSINESS.

Deposits Received. Lonis tade onApproved Security. Commercial andx'ravellers" Credits issued. Bills of Ex-

change Bought and Sold.

COLLECTION ' PROMPTLY AC-

COUNTED FOR.

ESTABLISHED IN 185S.

BISHOP & CO.

BANKERS

BANKING DEPARTMENT.Transact business In all departments

f Banking.Collections carefully attended to.Exchange bought and sold.

Commercial and Travelers' Lettersof Credit Issued on The Hank.of Cal-ifornia and N. '31. Itothsuliiid & Sons,London.

Correspondents: Tho Hank of Cal-ifornia, Commercial Uauklng Co. ofSydney, Ltd., London.

Drafts and cable transfers on Chinaand Japan through the Hongkong &

Shanghai Banking Corporation andChartered Bank of India, Australiaand China.

Agents for the sale of Travelers"Checks of the American Express Com-pany.

Interest allowed on term deposits atthe following rates per annum, viz.:

Seven days' notice at 2 per cent.Three months, at 3 per centSix months at 3 per cent.Twelve months, at 4 per cent.

TRUST DEPARTMENT.Act as Trustees under mortgages.Manage estates (real and ersonal.)Collect rents and dividends.Valuable Papers, Wills, Bonds, Etc.,

received for safe-keepin-

ACCOUNTANT DEPARTMENT.Auditors for Corporations and Pri-

vate Firms.Books examined and reported on.

Statements of Aiiis prepared.Trustees on Bankrupt or Insolvent

Estates.OfTlce, 924 Bethel Street.

SAVINGS DEPARTMENT.Deposits' received and Interest allow'

ed at 4Vs per cent per annum In accord.ance with Rules and Regulationscopies of wh ch may be obtained onapplication.

INSURANCE DEPARTMENT.Agents for FIRE, MARINE, LIFE

ACCIDENT AND EMPLOYERS' LLVBILITY INSURANCE COMPANIES.

Insurance Ofilce, 924 Bethel Street.

M. PHILLIPS & CO.,Wholesale ImportersAnd Jobbers of

AMERICAN AND EUROPEAN DRY GOODS

Corner of Fort and Queen Sts.

S. YOT-COJVIIO- ,

itrnctor tor Stone and Cement work

OrotjslaeclRook

Trues: No. 2. 1 cubic ynrd, $1.70;No. 3, 1 cubic yard $1.00! No. 4. 1 cubicyard, $2.05. Delivered to any part ofthe city, white anr. biacK sand, loundations. curbing and coral stones, ballast for ships nnd fire wood always onband. Emma ...all corner Beretanlaafsl Nuuanu street. Phone Blue 1211

Secretary of War Taft liriS gone towhich have arisen between America and the little new Republic. The maincause of differences is the American action in establishing custom housesin the canal zone. This strip was purchased by America for the canal, andis under American laws. The Panama people have strenuous objections tothe custom houses, as their establishment means that Panama is shut outof the prosperity of the little Americantrying for a long time to settle mattersa diliicuit one.

Panama to try and settle the disputes'

strip. Minister Buchanan has beenand Tnft will probably find the task, JBJ w J Wf BfHH

Queensland SugarIndustry Will Collapse

OPERATION OF THE LAW COMPELLING THE WITHDRAWAL OPKANAKA LABOR BY 1906 WILL PROBABLY SEND THE PLANT-ERS OUT OF BUSINESS A VERY GLOOMY PROSPECT FOR A

LARGE INDUSTRY.

Recent advices from North ern Queensland show that the sugar plantersare feeling anxious about the future, and as 1906 the year when the kanakas will be withdrawn draws nearer they are beginning to ask whatthey are to do without colored labor. This difficulty impressed itself up-

on Mr. McLean, the Agricultural Adviser to the Queensland Government,who has just reached Brisbane from the north. It was evident to him thatthe planters, were unable to see their way; and mineral discoveries are add-ing another serious factor to those which already complicate the problemthey have to solve. Queensland it must be remembered is a State full ofmagnificent mineral resources. Almost every port on its great coastline hascountry behind it full of gold, silver, copper, lead, tin or coal. Sometimesthe districts have two and three minerals in payable quantities, and ex-

perts like Dr. Jack have, been insistent in their opinion that the develop-ment of these resources has hardly begun. Especially is this true of North-ern Queensland, the part of the State north of the Tropic of Capricorn. Butthe trouble is that capital must be forthcoming, and of late capitalists havereceived little encouragement to invest their money in mining ventures inthe adjoining State. This should tend to help agriculture by providingmore openings on the land, but we know that sugar-growe- rs at any ratehave not benefited. Moreover, so far as the sugar industry is concernedrecent discoveries of wolfram have been attracting men from the ordinarylines of labor and making it more difficult to obtain the help so essentialwhen cane has to be cut and the mills run night and day. If the kanakais to be taken away without hope of replacing him, and if the white manis to be tempted to try his luck in wol fram or other mining, the sugar in-

dustry will simply collapse. Nothing can save it; and instead of thousandsof small prosperous planters in possession of the far lands lining the farnorthern rivers there will either be Chinamen or desolation. This is not apicture drawn to serve a political end, but the truth as it is told by dispas-sionate and disinterested observers.

Those who do not think or care much about what is involved may be in-

clined to accept the possible extinction of the sugar industry in NorthernQueensland with equanimity. They will eat sugar from Java or the Mau-

ritius, grown by colored labor under outrageous conditions, if judged bywhat prevails in the Commonwealth today, and will not suffer a qualm.Under the circumstances, therefore, it may be well to point out that the an-

nual consumption of sugar in the Commonwealth is somewhere about 180,-00- 0

tons. In 1898, the best year Queensland has known for sugar produc-tion, 163,734 tons were obtained from the plantations beyond the Tweedriver, and of this amount Northern Queensland contributed nearly 90 percent, or 147,000 tons. That is to say, the tropical part of the adjoiningState under favorable conditions can produce sugar worth nearly $5,350,000per annum; and though the last half-doze- n seasons have been adverse, it iscertain what has been done in the past can be done again. The men arethere, the soil and mills are waiting, and the Commonwealth wants 180,000tons of sugar every year. An industry is threatened which represents toNorthern Queensland something worthy of comparison with the entire cool

industry of New South Wales, employing as it does twelve thousand miners,with the value of the mineral exported in 1902 set down at $8,326,900.Each Industry, moreover, has many thousands of white men dependent up-

on it as lumpers, carters, and seamen; and farmers everywhere are concern-

ed as producers of food for the families and fodder for the horses. If thesugar industry in Queensland collapses it is safe to say that ruin will starenot hundreds but thousands of people in the face. Sydney Herald.

SPECULATION.

Some of the London papers regard the President's expression of willing-

ness to call another conference at The Hague as "a bit of political play in-

cident to the presidential campaign." It would be interesting to knowhow they would have regarded a refusal by the President to comply withthe request of the interparliamentary union, or a declination to commithimself. Columbus Dispatch.

ADDED TEA1PTATION,Wouldn't the invention whereby a person talking into a telephone may

be seen at the other end of the wire tempt telephone girls to do a lot ofpeeking as well as listening' over the wires? Lewiston Journal.

it.

The dressy man, nnd the manthat prides himself on one espe-cially line suit, for especially tineoccasions, may select with pcrfoc:onfldeuce from our cltotce and wellbalanced stock of STIilN-HLIC- II

clothes. America's very ablest tail-

ors contribute everything new, elegant and fashionable, to our match- -loss assortment, nnd we guarantee afit as perfect as the faultless tailor-mad- e,

at a vastly lower cost.

IYI. nciNERNY, LTD.

MERCHANT AND PORT STS.

1. Stiiaxiclci,Maunnkpa St. between Pauahl & HotelWholesale Liquor, Wine and Sake

Dealer.Is now opened for business and will

receive by the next steamer a largecargo of Sake which will be sold atmarket prices.

rn

STEAMERS TO ARRIVE.Date. Name. From.Oct. 4 Ventura Colonies

5 Sonoma San Francisco7 Chlha Yokohama8 Gaelic San Francisco

14 Alameda San Francisco14 Siberia San Francisco15 Doric Yokohama19 Mlowera Colonies20 Mongolia San Francisco22 Aorangi Victoria, B. C.25 Sierra Colonies20 Ventura Saan Francisco29 Manchurna Yokohama

Nov. 1 China San. Francisco4 Alameda San FranciscoC Coptic Yokohama

15 Sonoma Colonies16 Sierra San Francisco1G Doric San Francisco

"16 .Moana Colonies19 Korea Yokohama19 Mlowera Victoria, B. C,

23 Alameda San Francisco20 Gaelic Yokohama30 Slbera Yokohama

Dec. 3 Coptic San Francisco0 Ventura Colonies7 Sonoma San Francisco

10 Mongolia Yokohama10 Korea San Francisco14 Aorangi Colonies16 Alameda San Francisco17 Manoa Victoria, B. C.21 Siberia Si'fn Francisco24 China Yokohama24 China Yokohama2S Ventura San Francisco

STEAMERS TO DEPART.Date. Name. For.

Oct. 4 Ventura San Francisco5 Sonoma Colonies7 China San FrnnclscoS Gaelic Yokohama

14 Siberia Yokohama18 Doric San Francisco19 Mlowera Victoria, B. C.19 Alameda San Francisco20 Mongolia Yokohama22 Aorangi Colonies25 Sierra San Francisco26 Ventura Colonies29 Manchuria San Francisco

Nov. 1 China Yokohama5 Coptic San Francisco9 Alameda San Francisco

15 Sonoma San Francisco16 Sierra Colonies10 Doric Yokohama16 Moana Victoria, B. C.19 Korea San Francisco19 Mlowera Colonies26 Gaelic Sai Francisco30 Siberia San Francisco30 Alameda San Francisco

Dec. 3 Coptic YokohamaC Ventura San Francisco7 Sonoma Colonies

10 Mongolia San Francisco10 Korea 'Yokohama14 Aorangi Victoria, B. C.17 Moana Colonies21 Gealio Yokohama21 Alameda San Francisco24 Qhlna San Francisco24 Siberia Yokohama28 Ventura Colonies

Calling at Manila.U. S. A. Transports will leave San

Francisco and Manila, and will arrivefrom same ports at Irregular Intervals.

GOOD PLUMBING re our forte, wdon't do cheaD work. You will find oaexhibition in our store, all the latestfancy designs In bath room apparatusWe carry everything that goes to makeup that most Important part of a dwell.Ing-t-he bath room AND WE IN-

STALL IT RIGHT. Our plumbing Itput i;i to last, we guarantee all workdone by us, and can quote you thenames at hundreds of satisfied custom-ers.

It costs no more to have your plumb-in- g

an connections done by usnnd remember WE GUARANTEE THKWORK.

BATH tho Plumber, 165 King Street.Telephone 61 Main.

Want ads In the Blur bring uitck s.

Three lines three times for 21cents.

fWhtn You Ukw ' K

H.Hac kfel d &Co. t.Whole da.le.wo

Long-- Winter EveningsWill Soon Be Here

Evening of enjoyable reading, pedro, bridge or other pastimes.They are evenings of comfort if you have incandescent electric

lights.

Or evenings of enjoyment under adverse conditions if you usekerosene lamps too much heat if doors arc closed, lamp flamesblown out by the wind if doors be open.

BETTER CHANGE NOW,

Hawaiian Electric Co., LtdOfllco King Street near Alakea. 'Phon Main 3W.

Are You Thinking ofBuying a Piano?

Our Intsalment plan makes buying easy and any home of moderaterlrcumstan'jes can own one of the celebrated

Iisolxesr JEManosA small payment down nnd regular monthly payments make thepiano vours almost before your realize ft, where you might never haveone if you had to pay the cash in full. Several new styles just received.

Hawaiian News Oo.5 ItdYOUNG BflLDINU

GoingEast

IF SO, WHY NOT USE

The onlv Double Track Ralway be-

tween the Missouri River and Chicago.

ThreeTrains DailyVia the Southern Pacific, Union Pa-

cific and Chicago and NorthwesternRys.

Overland Limited. Vestibuled. LeavesSan Francisco at 10:00 a. m. The mostLuxurious Train In tho World. Elec-tric Lighted Throughout. IJuflet smok-ing cars with barber and bath, Hook-love- rs

Library, Dining Cars, Standardand Compartment Sleeping Cur and Ob-

servation cars. Lees than three daysto Chicago without change.

Eastern Express. Vestibuled. LeavesSan Francisco at 0:00 p. m. ThroughStandard and Tourist Sleeping Cars toChicago. Dining Cars. Kreo Reclin-ing Chair Cars.

Atlantic Express. Vestibuled. LeaveoSan Francisco at 9:00 a. 111. Standardaud Tourist Sleepers.

Personally Conducted (ExcursionsWednesdays, Thursdays, and Fridays.The best of everything.

CHICAGO & NORTHWESTERN RY.

It. R. RITCHIE, G. A. P. C.C17 Market St., (Palace Hotel) San

Francisco or S. P. Company's Agent.

THE HAWAIIAN REALTYAND MATURITY CO. Ltd.

Real Estate, Mortgages, Loans andInvestment Securities. Homes built onthe Installment plan.

Home Office: Mclntyre Building., T. H.L. K. KENTWELL, General Manager.

Putting cork seems

YNMiSDMFDivrfUElUllUllll mil ui luil umm

Limited.ESTABLISHED 1880.

Capltnl Subscribed". Yen 24.O0O.OOCapital Paid up 18.000.00Reserve Fund 9,520,00

HEAD OFFICE, YOKOHAMA.

Branohos:Honolulu, New York, San Franclaoo,

London, Lyons, Bombay, HongkonaNewohwang, Pekln, Shanghai, Tientsin,

Kobe, Nagasaki, Toklo.

The Bank and receives for col-lection Bills of Exchange, Issues Draftand Letters of Credit, and transacts ageneral banking business.

Honolulu Branch 67 Kins Street

COMPANY, LTD.Esplanade, cor. Allen and Sta.

Manufacturers of Water, Gln-g-.r

Ale, Sarsaparllla, Root 'Beer, CreataSoda, Strawborrv, Etc., Etc.

Oregon Kestaurant,King Street near Nuuanu.

W. A. Chung be propletor of the Ore-gon Restaurant Is serving the beet

in town for 25c He haa tn hiemploy a competent chef and withcourtcus waiters spares no pains tosatisfy patrons.

Ice eriKim Is served night.

Wane ads in the Star tiring quick re-sults. Three three times for 2S

be the limit of adulteration. Chicago

PUNISHA1ENT DUE IN BOTH CASES.

A railroad engineer or other employe goes to sleep, and in that waybrings about an accident, should not be released from responsibility anymore than the man commits a crime when drunk. That is the groundon which a locomotive engineer was convicted in Montgomery county onMonday. At the same time if the responsible agent of the railroad com-

pany knowingly kept that engineer continuously on duty for twenty-tw- o

hours, as was alleged, the responsible person should be punished. Thereshould be no halting in a matter of that kind, where human life is sacri-ticc- d.

Philadelphia Press.0

iron into toPost.

buvs

Fort

Soda

meal

every

linescents.

who

who

- . t k. . j 2 i mill

.. Ik

Page 4: THE XT E TAT S TT AT QHP T2

WiNAUfMIKrElXitt H

'.Tin XJfULwDAILY AND

fbllhl"evtr .iflrnm (.cft

KATIIS.Cecal, per HiiiiMmforeign, 11

Payable

PRANK L. HOonS.

FRIDAY

T 4X tsrown and

tM.i mm uawaAah rrxit, rnnAY, Toimit ti, imh.

-ni Unix SlfifcJ,

ShmO) by (he HuHntkn Star Nw

SUllSGKIPTION

Waller

H.M.VI!UKI.Y.

1 35 CcHlUidsteS l',c rcsP0llsm'e vote 08 leave theX t way open to the plurality election ofT -- - , -- f- Home Rule candidates. One

ft? ' of the best things that could happenio Hawaii at this juncture would be the withdrawal of Messrs. Brown andiWaller so as to save the Senate to the conservative interests which theythemselves have at heart. Advertiser"?

Cecil Brown as a candidate does nOt represent, nor claim to represent,any conservative interests, nor docs he speak for the responsible vote as

to the Home Rule element. He has made some campaign speechesand lately distributed a dodger advocating his own election. It did not con-tain a word about conservative interests. It had nothing to say abouteconomical government, or a county bill. It did not outline a policy. It de-clared in large letters that Cecil Brown is "untrammeled by any governor."'As he himself makes this the issue of his campaign, it is only fair to saythat it Is what he claims to represent. It is the issue upon whic he asksthe votes and the Advertiser gives him more credit than is his due, judgedby his own choice of campaign material, when it classes him with thosewho stand, in a general sense, for the intelligent, conservative interests ofthe community. As a matter of fact, Cecil Brown's choice of an Issuemakes him more dangerous than the Home Rulers themselves, for if he iselected after a campaign during which the only claims he has advanced forvotes is that he is opposed to the executive it will be not only his pleasure,but his duty, to devote his time to opposing the executive. He will havea commission from the people to do so. He will be false to the constituentswho send him to the Senate if he does not do so.

As a candidate Waller does not represent the conservative interestseither, though with Brown he may be classed as one having such interests"at heart" as a citizen. But in his character as a candidate he only repre-sents, in a local sense, the issues which Democracy, as led by W. A. Kin-ney, has brought forward. These do not include a single measure for publicgood. They are solely political and if endorsed at the polls mean a politicallegislature. They mean a lot of very costly legislative investigations, solelyfor the sake of politics, of the most honest and economical administrationthe islands ever had. If the people here are so wedded to politics that theydelight in this sort of thing they are at liberty to get it by voting for Brownjnd Waller and thereby placing them, or some similarly disposed HomeRulers, in the Senate.

i T J

$8.00ia.00

In advance.

MANAC1BR

OCTODUR 31, 1904

'1. - i . I. A , t ! 1 I t -. mil la muai iu uc umii;i7uit;u islnat Brown and Waller against Lane,o0vSett and nuhop win so 8Pnt ur.

1 he local community in general,

In I h f Aclnl.licfirt.Ant nf rlSia .ftir..

t Pllhll'r Offiialc I Probab,v as an effect of years spentT under a monarchy with its unAmer- -X in PolitiCS X ican ideas of the dignity of officeJ and the rights and positions of the$1 - people in the government, is imbued

with the idea that there is somethingImproper in an official of the government taking an active part in a politicalcampaign. It is not thoroughly appreciated in the. minds of many that theroyalist idea of the dignity of office has no part in the theory of populargovernment, however much the practical administration of affairs and theproprieties may require certain observances of etiquet. A complaint whichhas been made here by Cecil Brown and echoed by Democrats and HomeRulers is precisely the same is being raised by those out of power in thenation at large. The true American position on the question cannot be bet-ter stated than in the following reply to the opposition, published by theWashington Star:

"As a matter of fact, however, a cabinet officer not only has the right totake the stump, but it is often his duty to do so. He owes it to himself andto the people to. give them face to face at any time when it is appropriatesuch an account of his department as they may need and desire. Althoughhe does not hold his commission from them, he is yet their servant, is incharge of certain lines of their business, and is responsible to their repre-sentatives in Congress in case of the maladministration of his, office. Im-

peachment proceedings bring him very close to the people."In this campaign the administration is under a general indictment by

the opposition. Nearly every department is accused. What more properthen than the reference by Mr. Hay to the President in his Michiganaddress, the speeches of Mr. Shaw about the treasury situation and pros-pects, the speeches of Mr. Moody about both the Navy Department and thebusiness of the Department of Justice, and so on? They are familiar withtheir subjects, and are able not only to dispose of campaign yarns, but leavebehind facts and figures worth their hearers' while to consider at a timewhen voters are called upon to pass at the polls uponthe administration'sreal record. All this information will in time be submitted in annual re-

ports, but before those reports are issued the election will take place."But the theme is hardly worth pursuing. The objections raised are not

sincere, but represent only those stock plays of the politicians who seem tothink that the people have no memories, and are to be caught, first by thisparty and then by that, with chaff. Those audiences favored with speechesby members of the cabinet are to be congratulated. If they are interestedin the actual conditions under discussion, they are getting information ofthe highest value."

A very close application of this argument to local conditions might bemade, except that here the opposition has not been able to find any groundsof practical complaint against the administration, or management of

Sucb criticisms as have been made are purely political, butthere is nothing improper in members of the administration replying tothem.

I rrt-laDlo- rt fif f lne ,oca' National Guard is followingX

1a Iead that is Seneral ln 0,1 the States

t Rifje .Jplfjjfjs and Territor,es- - Tne movement Is'I j one which, without increasing the'' ''if" American army, is intended to in-

crease the national power to an enor-mous extent. Modern wars have shown more than ever what was shownwhen the American Colonists rebelled against the mother country, that theability to shoot straight makes a good soldier out of every brave and Intel-ligent man. The Boers In South Africa, each an expert rifle shot, neededonly equipment and such an amount of leadership as placed them in theproper fields of action, to make each one an individual foe capable of takingthe initiative in his own little sphere, so that an organized force attemptingan attack was shot down man by man. On the other hand, it has beenshown that the greatest bravery, accompanied by the most splendid discip-line, is at a disadvantage if pitted against superior accuracy of fire. Thehistories of battles show tons upon tons of metal in the form of small bul-lets, spinning aimlessly through the air. The nation therefore that has areserve force of men (who can shoot is in a fair way to win battles even Ifshe lacks a large trained army, which America does not want. The oldfamiliar battle order of "aim low" shows how little of accuracy there wasIn the average soldier, for the order came of a knowledge of the fact thatmost of the bullets, fired went far in the air over the enemies' heads.

The American government Is adding to national strength at the same'time that it keeps down the national army, by the encouragement of thenational guards. The policy as outlined at Washington Is, as It has nearly

TRY IT!

SPARKLING

Heptol Split--

A pleasant, carbonated and abso

lutely harmless , r 'I " "

HealthBeverage

The Great Liver, Stomach and

Bowel Regulator.

As a simple and certain cure forBILLIOUSNESS, or HEADACHEfrom any cause it is without anequal.

It gives immediate relief from theeffects of overindulgence in eating,drinking or smoking.

Try It andbeConirioced2l

Dose: The contents of one bottlefor an Adult.

Price 1 5 cents per Bottle

ion iAGENTS

always been, to reduce the numbers-o-

regular soldiery to tli-- lowest notch.At the same time, It Is the present pol-

icy to have as many men as possibleready to bcome soldiers. The per-

centage of civilians who know nothingabout handling a rllle Is very large,and If the military rifle clubs' plan isa general success, the elllciency of theaverage American for the duty of de-

fending his country will be greatly In-

creased.

Kuropatkin has probably been pray-ing for fog.

It is a poor day on which Chefoo cannot turn out estimates of losses, but inview of many reports from all sourcesit would not be surprising if the reportof u total of 60,000 Japanese losses be-

fore Port Arthur proves true.

Gorman Gllman's opinion thatare not lit for the suffrage is

based o nthe doings of legislatureswhich gave more t.mo to politics thanti the serioust business for which themembers were elected.

Democratic orators here and on the.Mainland, predict the election of Parker. Hut tliero are large sums of money lying in the hands of New Yorkbrokers, offered for bets at the oddsof two to one that Roosevelt will beelected, and the Democratic money tocover them Is lacking.

Governor Carter states a wish lnwhich most people share when he saysthat he would like to see a campaignfree from personalities and 'devotedonly to discussion of general issues. Itmay be said that the present campaignIs nearly such. With a few exceptionsthe candidates are discussed solely lnthe light of their public actions and inthe discussion of these, It is proper tobe as direct, as personal and as un-

sparing as language can be. Of coursein some cases, as In that of a FifthDistrict nominee who has withdrawn,

more closely personal matters them-

selves become an issue. Some ofthe local Democrats, taking the trou-

ble to defend Cecil Brown, who sayshe Is a Republican, have declared thathe is "personally abused" by Repub-lican speakers and others because heleft the party. There has been no per-

sonal or any other kind of abuse ofCandidate Brown. It is hoped thatthere will not be any. The criticism,however severe, of a man's public actions as a member o? a party and of hisbelleyed inconsistencies of policy,

Classified Ads in Star.Ad under "Situ. Men W.nUd," In'trUd

tree until further nettle.

I'tillngo For Hon I

Corner Klnnu and 1'eniRcola streets,126 per month. Inquire V. O. Atuatcr,Hawaiian Klectrlc Co.

Wanted

Competent Houseke per, used to hotel. Box 472.

ISO Citizen Laborers for Road workF ur months steady employmentSleepln quarters will be furnished bueach laborer should have their ownbedding. Cred t can be had at the CampStore for provisions. Apply at theKeanae Camp, Maul.

WILSON & DUGGAN,Contractors,

Foi Sale

1000 feet-Galv- . Pipe, in use two years,goou as new. wuuiiiiues 10 sun. uu.t472.

A magnificent building site on thePunchbowl slope near Thurston arenue. Particulars a: Star office.

Building lot corner King and Kamehameha road. I'alama terminus ofRapid Transit road. Apply at Staroffice.

Furnished Rooms To Lot

A nicely furnished front room. Mosqulto proof and electrlct Hgh 494 Bere,tanla near Punchbowl.

istarot:a savings account today. Interest paid--l.y per oeixtper annum and vour money can bewithdrawn on demand.

ejtl.OO to iiC5,OOCaccepted on one account.

full particulars at

Judd Building, HonoluluHENRY E. Cashier,POCOCK, - - -

We Havemany new and unique goods

in our various departments.

SURPRISES are in storefor you this season in both

OOODS and PRICES.

Spend an hour looking

about our establishment: Itwill repay you and will

please us.

11. f. mui 1 co.,111

FORT STREET.

which affect the question of his desirableness as a legislator, is entirely proper and necessary in an Intelligentcampaign. It Is a weak reply to anaccusation of political bad faith or Inconsistency, to say that It Is "person-al abuse." Tjie character of CecilBrown Is well known In the communityand personalities Indulged in againsthim would probably elect him in spiteof the glaring unfitness he'has shownto be a legislator and the dangerouscharacter of the programme he pro-

poses to follow in the Senate if he iselected.

It. will be a poor reward for partyloyalty and a manly record In politicsIt there is scratching of John Lane byRepublicans. Two years ago Lanewas an active candidate for a nomlnatlnn and In being defeated took noneof the objectionable steps which so

may disappointed politicians have takenher. He remained a supporter of theparty, he had Joined, showing that hewas not the kind whose political op!nloris are changed by a failure to getan office.

MRS. JOHN KAI DIES.HILO, October 18. Mrs. John KnI,

for many years a well known residentof Hilo, died at the Hllo Hospital Saturday morning at 4 o'ciock irom ,acuielaryngitis, which caused an attack ofheart failure. The funeral, which tookplace Sunday morning from the atho-11- c

Church, was largely attended. Mrs.Kal was about 70 years of age, born InKau. She was tho mother of sixteenchildren, of whom, besides her husband,there survive her: Kalama Kal, Mrs.Kahana, Mrs. F. A. letcalf, and JohnKal, Jr.

A Rnn 17rnnnlHcn wnmnn hn wnnoAAil- -.l n fpnlnlnir n nllmhAp nf hittlArfllAfl

She rewards them with sugar and wat-

er after they have done ithelr trlpks.

City Surveyor R. C Thomas of Balti-more has found, a- lot of wheat onSmith's wharf wliloh was still burning.It is the last remnants of the great fire

Thousands of Feet of

GARDEN HOSEAnticipating the irrigating season we have imported a large stock'

of the ' -- " " " " ' v jVERY I3Br

GARDEN HOSE- - OBTAINABLE. 1

THE ILOW IRIOJBWE ARE ABLE TO MAKE ARE SIMPLY PARALYZING.

Lawn Sprinklers in Great VarietyA New Invoice of the Favorite

EDDY REFRIGERATORS j

Made to Keep Things Cool and Economize ICE.

rami: wee mni adCex'clxtinit Street

Honolulu Iron Works,

STEAM ENGINES, SUGAR MILLSBOILEIIS, COOLERS, IRON, BRASS

ANB 2iE r CASTINGS.

Jirchlnery of Every Description Madeto order. Particular attention paid UShip's Blacksmithing. Job Work Exe-cuted on Short Notice.

OUEEN STREET

Firewood, Stove,--Steam and Blacksmith

WHOLESALE AND RETAIL.

Special attention given toDRAYING

ALSO, WHITE AND BLACK SAND

Improve your muddy walks anddriveways with black sand dressing.Always clean. For the next ten dayswe sell the finest black sand deliver-ed for 75 cents per yard.

Cheapest price ever known in town.Telephone your order.

LORD & BELSER.Tel. Main 198. P. O. Box 192

u In..

SOME PEOPLE neglect their hairtoo long. Hair like everything elserequires care.

PACHECO'S DANDRUFF KILLERwill keep your hair In fine condition.

Sold by all Druggists and at theUnion Barber shop. Telephone Main 232

LADIES

i n Til

Uptodate

E.W.Jordan

m 1 mi, ifCommission Merchants,

Sugar Factors.

AGENTS FOR '

The Ewa Pla tatio-- v Company,The Waialua Agricultural Co., Ltd.The Kohala Sucar ""ompany.The Walmea Sugar Mill Company.The Fulton Iron Works, St. Louis, Mo."he Standard Oil Company.The George F. i,lake Steam Pumps.Weston's Centrifugals.The New England Mutual Life Insur-

ance Company of Boston.The Aeina, Fire Insurance Company of

Hartford, Conn.The Alliarce Assurance Company of

London.

W. G. Irwin & Go.AGENTS FOR

Western Sugar Refining Co., SanFrancisco, Cal.

Baldwin Locomotive Works, PhiladelphlUj Pa.

Newell Universal Mill Co:, Manufac-turers of National Cane Shredder,New York, N. Y.

Paratline Pair Company, San Francis,co., Cal.

Ohlandt & Co., San Francisco, Cal.Pacific Oil Tlransportatlon do., Saa

Francisco, Cal.

Fire Insurance!UK B. F. DILLINGHAM CO., LIMITED,

General Agents for Hawaii.Atlas Assurance Company of London.Phoenix Assurance Company of London.New York Underwriters Agency.Providence Washington Insurance

Company.Phoenix Insurance Company of Brook-

lyn.

Albert Raas, HanagerInsurance Department office, Fourth

Floor, Stangenwald Building.

The Pacific Hotel,11S2 UNION STREET,OPPOSITE PACIFIC CLUB.

NEWLY FURNISHED ROOMS

The Best RestuarantIn the Gity ....

MRS. HANA, Proprietor.

COMBS

41 :

;i ... ''.

. , y ..1' '' ' r..

1. ",k

Back and Side Combs

REAL and Imitation SHELL

Strictly

lb Co., Ltd

Page 5: THE XT E TAT S TT AT QHP T2

ft s

-

r --ti

OurExtraordinary PurohngQYourExtniordiuary Gain

We chanced to iitirolMM thresh on of the mm. tirtlitipl ItMfMrt-er- a

a lot of hndtom Irish Point Squares and fearf at TlHH twitprio.

. The news Is no good that we have revolved te girt er otMtemarathe full benefit. Ufttnnlng Tuesday inorolMK, Oct, lMn, w wlM efferthe witlr purchase at the most remarkable prlew goeds et like

have even been sold In Henolulu.A chance for Houkeirs, hotels and board

HUSH POINT SQUAItlWS.

Lot 1. iKiuaree, hemstitched, with Imwrtlon, at MHih.No, S. squara hemstitched, fancy applique, at Sfe.Lot 3. squares, hemstitched, with embroidery applique, at

GOc,

Lot 4. squares, scalloped edge ami fancy herder, at 6c.Lot S. squares, scalloped eddge, very elaborate, at tL

misii POINT SCARFS.

.Lot 1. SIz 17x81, hoinstltched, with fancy Insertion, at SOO.

Lot 2. Size 17x11, hemstitched, open work, at 3c.Lot 3. Size 17x81, with two rows of Insertion and fancy corner, at

50c each.,Lot 4. Slse 18x6C, scalloped edge, very handsomely embroidered, at

65o.Lot B. lSxCG, scalloped edge, very elaborate, 2 dlfteren: styles, at

$1.00 each.

L S. M M M CO., 1, Cor. Fort andBeretania

Camara & Co.- Corner Merchant and Alakea Streets. ",i:T"

T .

I de Turk Wines, ."

White Seal Champagne, qts. and pts.,, J.Jje '

European Wines and Brandies,Bulldog Brand Stout and Ale,

A. B. C, Budweiser, Pacific, Rainier and Primo Beers,

Telephone Main 492.

In qts. and pts.

STAND

Sts.

P. O. Box 664

THE LOSSUDaEDOLE HOLDS THAT BONDSA1EN OF A TRUSTEE IN BANK

RUPTCY ARE LIABLE FOR SUMS EMBEZZLED BY THE TRUS-

TEE AND ALSO FOR EXPENSES INCURRED IN REMOVING SUCH

TRUSTEE.

Judge Dole this morning handed down a decision in. the matter of K.

Kajita, bankrupt. The particular phase upon which he was asked to decidewas as to the liability of a surety company for the embezzlement of thefunds of the estate by the former trustee. The trustee in question madeaway .with the money.

The judge's decision in the matter of the surety company's liability runsas follows: '

The trustee in this case having been removed on account of embezzlementof trust funds, the Pacific Surety Company of California, the surety on thebond of said trustee, joins with the new trustee of the said estate, Air. C.

R. Hemenway, in a submission for a decision of this, court on. the followingquestion: 1",

'

The present trustee has been obliged to pay outof the estate:'Attorney's fee allowed by the court in the matter of the' removal

Costs of court in the same matter 9;Premium on bond of present trustee 12.50

Total $46.50The form of bond given by trustees in bankruptcy contains the

conditions:'"If the said trustee as aforesaid shall obey such orders said

a cnarge against surety, an yuu.u .vsion filling a vacancy, which be by the death resign-atio- n

of as well by removal. other expendituresthe immediate of the bf trustee

his consequence parties the are

liable the well amount money

second is follows:Unon bv the Surety Company ascertained loss the

not upon the first but may upon

creditor aggrieved his name the whole penalty

is (Insolvency Act 1880, Sec. This refers the bondof' that this

has no authority this court, yet seems to a reason-abl- e

rule practice under the BankruptIt nte, bond the first not

cancelled but must until yearshas '

B, DOLE, States Court,

lit HAWAIIAN UTAH fit 1 A V iTrW9

KAHUNAS

A STORY THAT THIS AIIOLITION OI; QOVI3KNMI-N- rAYSlCIANS .' ww'r

LiIADlNu TO A GIINIIRAL REVIVAL OP KAI1UNAIM-lA- rA ITA UitoTtlH. d7i. nZZZAND HIS NOTORIOUS MOT F'OOT STUNT WHILK Ml: WAS IN IHmimiii T

Kntr-NOLUL-

..-- . P Mm. M. Lambert. MlaaMl

' - Tu. Mr T. DrnaiiSB l man. A Honnr. Mlw Mr Df- -

Seattle Star publishes the fellewing piped ream with a pktBfe Mlw nr-nn- r p.m-- r K.xj. t h u.w.Papa Ita: w Ward und Ja. k u..r.l

HONOLULU, Oct. Kahunalsm threaten te againamong of Hawaiian This due te spirit efeconomy that has seized the government and caused It te cut down the !- -

ary of the physicians who had been in each district.At out time it was the proper thing the natives te visit a kahuna,

or witch doctor, a cure any ill, mental physical, te thehasty departure from this world of an enemy

tMH

The practice preved " .7trimental to the health and morals of the that government sal- - gtmr. F.j Maul. Bennett, from Hama-arie- d

physicians for each This, ceupled the law's actSen in porta at S: a. m. mich ;i bradhustling kahunas into prison whenever caught, depressed the pepu- - cattle.larity of kahunalsm. j . tf,r 1 K Otmmimm, ri- -. from

In spite of the opposition shown the government, the natives' ,..

in has never been shaken, their reverence fer the kahuna's nwiBfiiin 'altar with its little stone gods, isIt was only two three years ago that a kahuna created a sen- - j

sation in Honolulu by his exhibition of the ancient rite ef walking everstones heated to a white heat. It was time that the feat had everbeen performed in Hawaii and the local kahunas, fearing te losetried to bribe him to abandon his purpose. But their efforts were futile.He caused a mound of rocks to be heated to a heat. Then

Maul.

Xaui,

anointing his bare feet with ti leaves and swaying a large the arrived BMH-nl- tbeir vnriuumsame over his he over the stones. run. Maol to ml tonight f,r

The witch claim to have no difficulty in restoring the departed Hamakuaspirit into a dead The process is quite simple, consisting merely ,., ,, nw.r irvviriraising the nail of the great toe, inserting the spirit and vigorously mas- -,

saging the body, especially the ankle, that being the hardest place for the m Hawaiian Co U SIMto get through. With equal ease they can cause the spirit of a living Quotations. HW. Aaked.

person to depart, and in the latter case their success has marked, ' C. Brewerparticularly when certain poisonous herbs have been mixed in food of

victconcern

im, that the revival kahunaism has caused Haw,J cmk'X, and steps will taken immediately for its suppression. jllaw. Suaar Co. KM

AD

HE JUMPED FROM MOVING TRAIN NEW YORK oiowalu Co. 89.69MONTH UNDER ARREST ON CHARGE OF FORGERY Pacific 8ur 3W.60

is SAin hi. AD OF NOTORIOUS SUR- - I'aia l'Un. Co.

PRISF A AiONG WHO KNEW

High Sheriff Brown has received a circular from the Pinkerton Detective(

3W.0O

Agency asking for in the recapture of Alonzo J. Whiteman. . . ...... ... .. Onlhrr m Wilder S. 8.wnueman escapcu uy juiiiihk huh, a ih viji v- - .... -- ,....

while taken 1 otk 10 sianu inai on a JIon u T J)Mgery. He left the train between Dunkirk and Silver Lreek in new YorK

State. No trace 'of the has been found.Whiteman is the principal of the Whlteman-Kno- x of forgers and

He a college-bre- d man, He well known to a numberlocal and the news of being associated with such a gan of men

and his leap from a moving train to escape prosecution for

forgery will cause great surprise in this city.

HE POURED OIL

THROUGH

Annus ' Mfliiur. u' , , . ur i?rar,t A llniirA tl A INST CHANO i'HL'NO P.Y for ten Oahu .'ol!w

. Hawaii, William N. AnnotroiiK.' a HONOLULU WUDDINO.

i thi. .n,,rnit-- nn t f mi wii th. Jrlnt fol- -1 The of MIH Kdnatrial of Chanff the of lowlntj:! C. having Oakland to harlen Oerald

the former trustee .'.$35.00 replneed a. hh Interpreter ow- -

as

i to inane yexieriiHy i

the of the latter. TheIh by J. W. and H.

F. AsslMtant AttorneyGeneral ProHHcr conducting the proire-cutlo- n.

The Indicted at theJune term charge that, he mllire to a (n I.ul

court may make to said trust, and shall faithfully and truly ac- - cimn Slice on Nuuanu xtreet betweencount for all moneys .assets, and effects of the estate of said bankrupt on the night

which shall come into hands and possession, and shall in all l'a' 8.

perform all official duties as said this obliga- - wit examined this

in otherwise, to remain in full force and virtue." SJadJohin"--The condition of the bond being only to account all moneys, assets . , , . , , lt,rts,i

and effects of the estate which comes into the hands of the trustee but also kllot 1)0ti through which pro-t- o,

in all respects, faithfully perform all his official duties as said trustee, xecution will to prove, the nc-- it

appears to that the to the bond are liable only such ''""ed poured oil which he after-mone-

as have been embezzled, but also such expenditures which have j1' . , l.olnutw.,, ofbecome necessary on account of and as the direct of the failure of j.;, j. Htonc, K.,J. Wnlk-truste- e

to perform ail his official duties. t. , h. t. Jenln And-iade- , J.The item of $12.50 for premium on the official bond of the new trustee a. Jamex Hiown, c. F.

is probably remote a result of the misconduct of the trustee to be j

0ine caicuoc

of such might caused or

the trustee as his The be-ca-

necessary as result failure the to

official duties. In thereof the to bond

for same, as as the of embezzled.

The question asnavment of to es- -

!T

w:

ef

the the the

among

kun

the

white

thethe of

.ew

his

Chunir

of

the

his mi- -

now.

to void;

the

forthe

outu

for

THE

AT

should the bond first given this estate cancelled of (Continued from Page J.)

The Bankruptcy Law (Section DIv. m), provides that suits upon trus- - ,

with the soclul, andtees' bonds shall to two years after estate

ecoIi01Jc I)lt.vu,lnK ,Bhas been closed. The implication of this is that suits may be people of new dependent-leu- , howbrought upon such bonds at any time within two years after the estate has t)ey ,nuy 1)e by educational,

been closed. perhaps, the amount of the bond should have been ex- - leglnlatlve and mean,

by suits, The present the parties to the bond j;;"on account of m sconduct of the consume but a small part ..,., ,.,.,the amount the bond. I find no law directly on this question. I find. having a purely 'political.

however, that the Statute of Insolvency provides that oouu aiv within the domain of theshall void sued from time

Ifftime by any own untilexhausted." of 15). to

the assignee of nn Insolvent estate understatute with It suggest

Act.to therefore, that the of trustee may be

of record stand two have elapsed Ufestate been closed.

SANFORD Judge United PIstrlct

SMO- - Miltiu. tin- -

A.Mm. B.

becetne pepularnatives Island. Ic

appointed

as or er secure

natives

seen

andamazing.

fameus

prestige.

greatef

of

w.

be

RAPIDLY EXPRESSWHILE

fiANtiTHOSE HIM.

Wxlluku

iLimei'inmiiu

man since

swindlers.people

sensational

chnwe

wanbeing

belonging

Kukulrespects

t,y

coalme

th(

Uawelnwe,made

tate, be

50be brought

provision the

previous .labilities of

of canCalifornia the uiing

be be

Although

of

kahunaism

j'a

ltlff

anil pertinent to iim woih.The general taken by the

ri the duty of the United HtlitcMtoward Flllplnon, Hawaiian! andother depjimlentH may be Judged oim-wh- at

by the followingto them whleh theadopted nt tlie

last yr. "Thtir civil ahould ieHciupulouhly liberal pro- -

vllon should bo made by eongrumt fortheir development und clvlllzloni their

HAWA

lM ...

so de-- OT'n

or

IMINAL KNOWN

to

Is Is or

KNOTHOLE

of

tSZXC

CONFAB

ot

Y HONOLULANS

TXSZ

IN

iniluxtrleti xliould 1je encouraged; andeducation should be mi provided

I that, may their llnairelation to the ITnlted state,

thiy may eiulpld. at th- - wrlleHtfor and

Hpeakeix on Hawaii were Hon. Frank1'. comnilttuloni-- r seneral or

riir. '"l.Af year prenldent of

and

i,i,. Kniulrer theon wedding

malicious burnlnp. Shlozawa

olijecuonH

defended Cuthcart

defendant

buildingin relation

Ueretanla and

trustee, The principal

not for

parties not for

fonB:I'arnialeo.

too

per-for- m

the

thedistrict.

Itnghatn.

in record?

connected religiousnot comlU(llls

improvedunless,

haustedthe trustee,

,,uMtliiiw

recoveryin

statute.

appearsafter;.

con-ference

refer-ring i'nncltide plat-form October meeting

for, whatevertMilltleal

hepuKflible

KarKent,

J.aCKllH lUL'Bllliy lVUn 111 null"- -

lulu. The bride In a dauhter of MmK. M. Seoby of Twenty-fourt- h tretand went to Hawaii n a leacner. 1

Kioom Im a prominent newMpaper manof Honolulu. The weddlntr wan celu'bratcd in the beautiful I'odrnore resi-

dence and .win wltnoHMed by the pro-

minent farnllleK of the Inland. A feature of the eereinoiiv wan the jirocin- -

xlon of Hawaiian kIi! the natlve a Ira. Intend to realdeIn the k!Td?" "

plJO KAHTHQUAKB.

ninU, October 18. Dlntlnet nhoekH ofta'i thiuake were felt by Hllont 10:30 Wednesday night, 3 p. m.Tlmrmlay, and Friday morning at 8:10,

It Ih reported that the xmoke hat) clear.ed 'ruin KUauea crater.

Till PAH1I.O, October 18. Agent It. T. Guard

received a cable lute yesterday afternoon that the 8. Enterprise wpuldmudu 11 return trip to IIIlo within aweek after her arrival at the connt.

IIHUISTKHK-- AT VOLCANO HOU8HHILO, October 18. During the week

there Were registered at the VolcanoHouHe: Mr. and Mr. C. W. Peering,Mitt Mullen, Mix Sullivan of SanKraiichu-o- ; K. W. Abbott, J. N. Abbott,HoHton; P. O. Lloyd, J. T. Lloyd, Cln-tlnna-

Mr. K. Hlggln. Honolulu;Prince and Prince David Kawauana-koa- ,

L. A. Andrew, William Weight,II. K. Mm IIIlo; Mr. K. V.. Oldlng,Mlw Maud Kdwln Oldlng. Mr,(ieorge Oldlng, Ml Katherlne oldlng,Hubert Hall, Ml Kllen Hall and MlUrn c Hryani, Kohala; Joph Ilut,Papalkou; Ueorgc and wife, undMIhh Miiilellm- - ltoH, Hakalau; W. H.

wife and Mr. Anna 14.

Hllo; Ml f. ,M. Oreenwell,

TO FLOAT OKKipiC 11IJILPINO.The eoa anil weighing olllee of the

army tiiiartermanter'n department atthe corner of Hlchnrd antl Allen streetIs to be placed' on 11 hcow and iloutedover to the railway wharf and thencemoved to the nr;ny corral at JwiJel.

THE ENT15KPIU8E AJliUVHH.HIIvO, potobee JWXhe Matnon Line

i mnrrriMft rtdM nVtarli .,of kn ln o t tfc .ai tiii-- j

MHrinti tHnrt to MMttlii Th:.m rM ct rr Nttn. f.Uiiil

rxMt fair wath.-- i iuH j

th. itt trtp to Moratata, hl hm4e in II 4a 1 and M koui Aftf-- t

'f

aad

The .

i r IILHEAHIUV1N-- ;

Frtda, Oi tolwr 21.

with

by belief

first

work

Ktmr. T. Hcswett. from Paau- -hau. Knkaiao, Ookala. Laupabuehoe,

Pa tea, at t p. m.

TEAXKK ARRIVING TODAY.The Meantera Xllnau, Mauna

Ia. Moaaui. J. X. CamcaltMi and Knualbranch thta from

head, walked The i

doctors porta.body. MOMO, v i.--

snsnrspirit

been so A Co

the government much

gang

The Oakland

Ynmada

his then

attempt

the

uitltude

their

day

tin,

and pan

llonomu ur Co. US.69Honokaa tt.ee

'

Haiku m.)Kahuku M.WKhMKipahuluM BrydeOahu 8uar Co

nomea ff89ookala Suaar ,..OIhh Huaar Co .W

IN

AM

6M

LAST Co.hp SWINDLERS 19.68

ChllllnBWorth,

faitjifully

subsequent

philanthropic

tuifeguardeil,

J'i1)ata)uple

KNTBWPWBB

l'ekepeo guaar Co. 150

I'ioneer Milt Co 1S9.69 1K.WWaialua Ar. Co 45.60 50.00

waimanaiot. Co

t . . . f.i..i a V rA- r.-... , . , .liiiltalo, uwi uibeing Co

be

result

tit--

uentence

rlghtn

b

'

.",lu

MinKlnt;

resident

J

Oldlng,

Ho

-

Co

M

It. T. Co. comMutual Telephone

It & t, CoHaw. 'Sh

160.69ss.eo

Hon. flt.OO

OahuGovt

11. w

ISM

MM

9iM

100.00CC.00

100.00lawallai. SJuaar f 109.00

Hllo It. It. Co. G

Hon. II. T. Co. fm 106.00

Oahu II. St. I., Co. fm lOt.OO

Olaaa fm 87-6-0

I'ala fm 100.00

Pioneer fm 63.00

Walaiua Aerl. fm 53.00 100.00

JAP AT PORT AKTHUIl.The other d:-.-y I wa talking to a very

Intelligent man wlrolia had many op-

portunities of meeting globe trotterglobe trotter for reason of bulnerather than of pleaure and he toldrue a remarkable story which had beentold to him by one of thee globe tro-tter. The tory throw a significantlight on the reason of the extraordi-nary ucee the Japanee have beengaining in their recent battle.

A Japanec trader wan leaving PortArthur Jut a it became evident thatwar muni come, lie uau neverai iruimn,and thee he entruntetl to a Chinesecoolie, who Heeined to be well up to hlnwork, and who handled the trunks withthe characterlntlc promptitude and faclllly of a Chinaman of that clanWhen the Japanese got 011 board hemlnwod hln coolie, und he found amonghi baggage another trunk which hedlil not recognize. He thought nothingmore of the affair, believing it to beone of the inlntake which were Inevit-able In a. time of hurry and somethinglike panic Hut when the ve inwhich he wiih traveling hail gone omedlntance from Port Arthur he wan ap-proached by a Japanese olllcer, evldently of high position.

The olllcer remarked to the traderthat he had not paid III coolie. Thetrader confuwaed that till watt no, andgave a an excune that the coolie hat!nuddonly dlappoared Jut it the vessel wan leaving.

"I wiih the coolie," Mn i tl the Japaneneolllcer, with a nmlle. "I have been InPort Arthur an a coolie for Ix monthand now 1 know all about 1t, and byand by thin will be unoful." LondonM. A. II.

KKCOItP TItIP TO HILO.HllyO, October 18. W. S. Ward, man-

ager of Olaa Store, who arrived Hitturday on the H, H. Enterprise holds thejtalm for the qulcket trip from SanKranciwo to Hllo, having made theJourney by way of Honolulu In 7 dayand 22 hour. Arriving on thn Hllx-rl- a

Thursday morning, after attending atlay In Honolulu transacting bunlue,Mr. Ward met the Knterprlne outsideof the harbor and oame direct to IIIlo,which In the record trip thun far madefrom the cont to thin port.

THE IIALEIWA LIMITED

SIM

MMiM

The mpst attractive dny' outing, Isthat nfforded by the excursion downthe railroad line. The IIALEIWALiMITED, a flrnt claas train, leavesHonolulu every Sunday morning at 8:22o'clock making the run In two hours.the rate for round trip being only IFrom 10:22 a, m, until 8:10 p. m. Isspent nt the beautiful HOTEL IIALEIWA, with fresh and salt water bathing,tennis, golf, drives and walk, shootingor fishing, and you are Tiack In townat 10,10 o'clock In the evening.

CanFitYouOnt

o

If jh wkU te lH),kollernxohaMar rmlOktalc, Meek erbendh, le leaner Wer-re- w

weHej-- en gveil

n'curlllon, let hkhour from )ou.'HH Ht JOB OHt.

THE HENRY WATERHOUSE

I CO. Ltd.

Merchant and Port Sts.,Honolulu, Hawaii.

Star Want Ads pay 2t cenltt.

NEW ADVERTISEMENTS

DIVIDEND .NOTICE.

EWA PLANTATION CO.

The Directors of this Corporationhaving declared a monthly dividend of

of 1, Dividend No. i8 b due andpayable on Monday. OctoU,--r SI, 1901,

fto stockholder of record at the elose otthe stock-trannf- er book Saturday, Oc-

tober 22, mi, at 12 m.Stock-transf- er book will be reopened

Tuesday, November 1, l&frl.

W. A. BOWEN,Treasurer. Rwa Plantation Co.

Honolulu, October 21 ,l0t.

Notice to Cretlitors.

The undernlgned having been duly ap-

pointed administratrix of the Estateof Charlea 1$. Pwight, late ot Honolulu,Inland of Oahu, dceai-etl- , notice Inhereby given to all pemonn to presenttheir claims againnt the etate ot saidCharles U. Dwlght, decefuted, fullyauthenticated, whether secured bymortgage or otherwise, to the under-signed at her renldence. Dentin Lane,Honolulu aforeenld, within six monthsfrom the date hereof, or they will boforever barred; and all persons indebt-ed to ald ertate are hereby rwtuoatedto make Immediate iioyment to the un- -derlgned.

KLLEN PWIGHT,Administratrix of the Entnte of Charles

H. Pwight. deceaned.Pated. Honolulu. October 21, ISCM.

4ln Oct. 21. 28, Nov. 4. It.

BTiMlTHOBlTTSTEAM IIOAD HOLLEIt.

Proposals will be received at the office of the Superintendent of PublicWorks, Honolulu, until 12 o'clock m.

of November 1st, 1904. for furnishingthe Pepnrtinent of Public Works witha 25,000 lb. Steam Itoad Holler completeof the "Kelly Sprlnglleld" or equivalent .

type, P. O. II. wharf, Honolulu. Thesteering gear on till roller 1 to beoperated by hand and not by eteam.

The contractor In to be responsible forall breakage or damage that may oc-

cur In nhlpmunt.The roller will be set up by the Po- -

partment of Public Work upon delivery of part, and will be accepted bythe Superintendent of Public fWorkn,when put together and found to be Ingood working order and complete Inall It parts.

Bidders will state In lliulf proposal,the time of delivery, wlilch will beconsidered In awarding the contract.

Shipment to be made by steamerfrom San Pranclnco.

Proposals must be enclosed in a seal-

ed envelope addressed to Hon. C. H.

Holloway, Superintendent of PublloWork, Honolulu, T. H., qnerafgl-'l'r- "t

ponal for Steam Hoad ItulleijV.Each propoMiil must cMnrtnroeAurA '1

name. of the party or parties makingthe nme and mut be nccompunletl bya certified check of 5 iter cent of theamount of the proposal payable to C.S. 'Holloway, Huperlntendent' of Pub-lic Work, as surety that If the pro-

posal be accepted a contract will beentered-into- .

No proposal will be entertained unlessdelivered nt the olllce of the Suporlntendent of Public Works p'rcvloug to 12

o'clock in. on the tlay specified.The- - Superintendent resoivo the right

to reject any or all bidn.C. S. HOLLOWAY.

Superintendent f Public Works,"Honolulu, T. II., October 20, 1901.

THIS PAPER Is kept on file at E. C.Pake's Advertising Agency, C4 and fMerchants Kxohnnge, San Francisco,?illfornln, where contracts for adverttni.ig can be made for It.

fit Wnnt SAn rnu 9K nnla

Page 6: THE XT E TAT S TT AT QHP T2

A limnitr Proportion .

Well, now. thcre'i the

ICE QUESTION I

you'll ned lei . you knowrknow In hot weather. WegMVi you uxtotM to get thnt Ice

FlMk wilt 1v yott (mtlsf ctlon, andtra4 Mk to impair J'u. order from

he 01 ict i i

Mrtiptoone 1181 Blue. I'oetoflice Box 6K

f. 6. IRWIN & CO., LTD ,

,Wm. O-- Irwin President and ManagerSTWm 1. Spreckels.. FirstiW. M Wffard. ..Scond nt

M. M. Whttncy Jr TreasurerRielwrd I vers SecretaryUU. a Lovekln Auditor

1UIU FACTORS, COMMISSION AGENTS

AGENTS FOR TUB)&tc Stear hlp Company of San

Francisco, Cal.

AGENTS FOIl THE

UmlMn'n Union National InsuranceCompany of Edinburgh.

sTObetmira of Magdeburg General In-

surance Company.MttMce Marine and General Assurance

Co., Ltd., of London.Mtyml Insurance Company of Liver-

poolJUttiaoe A.wur nee Company of Lon-

donWfettestcr German Insurance Company

KA11T & CO., LTDT.tae Elite Ice Cream Parlors.Chocolates and Confection.Toe Cream and Water IcesBfeery Lunch.

HE FIST RESORT 1 THE 6111

union PacHailroad

"SUGGESTS

peed andComfortKXree trains dally through cars, first

Bbt second class to all points. Re-

stated, rates take effect soon. Write

S. R Booth,General Agent.

Wo. 1 Montgomery Street,San Francisco.

raveilers Agree

THAT

m Bier mIvilTLTl 1 tOCl

IS

Quickest, Finest, Best

A Train that SuppliesAll Demands

To St. Louis or Chicago

UN 3 DAYSfrom San Francisco.

ELECTRIC LIGHTSHEADING LAMPS,CLUB CARS-A- LL

GOOD 'MINGS

Siton PacificInfoTnation Bureau613 Market Street,San Francisco.

(MHO; AND LAUD CD'S

OCTOBER 1904.

OUTWAItD.

War Walanae, Walalua, Kahuku andYTayr Stations '9:15 a. m., 3:20 p. to.

BPor ISaarl City, Ewa Mill nnd WayBtatflons t7:S0 a. m., a. di.,U:0S a. m., 2:16 p. m., 3:20 p. in,53E p. m., t0:30 p. m., t":15 .

INWARD.

Hrrlv Honolulu from Kahuku, Wal-sdu- a.

.end Walanae 8.36 of m., "5:31p. ira.

Krrfvaj Honolulu from Kwa Mill andPaeni City 17.40 a. m., 8:S6 a. m.,I0:a a. ni., 1:40 p. m., 4:31 p. m.,C:3T. 'p. m., 7:30 p. m.DalSr.

JSumday Excepted.tSamday only.

m. P. IDENNISONL ... 6upt'

ic

RAILWAY

Poor littlo follow I Hocoughs so hard ho cannotsleep. That makes him weakand sickly all the next day.IT is hrothor thinks thiscoughing is torrihlo. So dowe, for we know that just afew doses of

Ayer'sCherry Pectoralwill cure this cough. For CO

years it has heen the standardcough remedy for children.Look out for cheap imita-tions. Get the genuine.

in large and small bottles.

Avoid constipation. Hasten a euro liy tliouse of Ayer's i'ills.

Prepared by Dr. J. C. Aycr Co., Lowell, Mats., V. S. A.

VMlShirokaneGeneral Employment Office. Japanese

and Chinese Lsi borers Etc., Supplied.Contract Work of Every Kind Under-taken. Corner Emma and BeretanlaSreets. Telephone Blue 2181.

Castle & Cooke, Ltd

AGENTS FOR

New EnglandMutual LiftInsurance Co

OF BOSTON.

iEtna FireInsurance Co.,

I"1 HARTFORD. CONN.

Contractor and BuilderHouse Painter

Kewalo, Snerldan Street, near KingHonolulu H. L

Telephone White C'1.

Tobacco Heartmay be cured. Don't neglect yoursymptoms. Dr. Miles' Heart Cureis a great heart and blood tonic aboutwhich you will lenrn a great deal and alsoabout heart trouble by sending postal forfree book on diseases of the h art and norrM

uu. Milks Mkdical Co.. Elkhart. Ind.

NEW S BY CABLE

HAWAII DISCUSSED.LAKE HOIIONK, October 21. Ha-

waii was the text of several addressesat the Indian Conference yesterday.Gorlmm D. Oilman of 'Boston, u formerresdent of Hawaii, said that the exten-sion of the suffruge to the native peo-ple was a grave error. Recent legisla-tive acts of the Hawulluns showed alack both of intelligence and morals.Mr. Oilman favored the modification ofthe Exclusion laws so as to provideChinese labor for the plantations.

Professor F. A. Hosmer, formerlypresident of Oahu College, Honolulu,praised the missionary party in the islands and W. N. Armstrong, formerlyAttorney General of Hawaii, under theMonarchy, prophesied that native-bor- n

Asiatics would finally control the Territory.

IMMENSE LOSSES.CHEFOO, October 21 It Is estimated

that 50,000 Japanese have been killed before Port Arthur

FOG STOPS FIGHTING.MUKDEN, Ootcber 21. A dense dog

conceals both armies. There hns beenno fighting.

.MARINES WILL STAY.WASHINGTON, Ootober 21. It has

been decided to retain the marines atPanama

A COMPROMISE CANON.BOSTON, October 21. The House of

Deputies of the Episcopal conventionhave adopted a compromise canon ondivorce permitttlng the marriage of theInnocent party after a year.

A FATAL FRACAS.MONTEREY, October 21. In a fight

between white infantrymen and color-ed troopers one Infantrymen was killedand another ? ortally wounded.

TMK HAWAIIAN TAK I IUKAV i "foRKIt II. im.

New York Has aRemarkable Campaign

.t yiSKjB-- fejSMssssssssssssssk.

BBBBBBBslSuS&raS 4bsSKwBB2hT J

ifcfcfcfcCT

CHARLES F. A1URPHY, NOW PARKER'S SUPPORTER."Charles F. Alurphy is leading Tiimmaiiy Hall in one of the most remark-

able political campaigns New York has ever had. The strangeness of thesituation is shown by the fact that while the betting is over two to onein favor of the Republican president being elected, it is ten to eight in favorof the Democratic governor, Hcrrick. The New York Sun is supportingRoosevelt and opposing the Republican candidate for governor in favor ofHerrick. The Evening Post is supporting Parker for President but refusesto support Hcrrick and favors Republican Higgins. Tammany has madeup her earlier differences with Parker, and is expected to lend her sup-

port to both the presidential and state tickets, and Murphy, in spite of thebitterness of past differences, is working for both.

BEET SUGAR II

liftTUBSThe net production of beet-ro- ot sugar in Austria-Hungar- y, Germany, and

France, the leading sugar- - producing countries of Europe, for the first elev-

en months of the sugar year beginning September i, 1903, compared withthe similar period in 1902-- 3, was as follows:Beet sugar production of Austria-Hungar- y, Germany, and France for eleven

months, 1902-- 3 and 1903-- 4.

Increase ()'Country. . 1902-- 3 1903-- 4 ordecrease ( ).

Metric tons.Austria-Hungar- y 4 1,040,770Germany 1,725,405France 861,599

Metric tons. Metric tons.1153.489 112,7191,912,823 187,418

807,501 54.098

Total 327.774 3.873.813 246,039By the end of July the export tables showed the following:

Exports of beet sugar from Austria-Hungar- y, Germany, and France foreleven months, 1902-- 3 and 1903-- 4.

Increase ()Country. 1902-- 3 1903-- 4 , or

decrease ( ).Aetric tons. Atetric tons. Aletric tons.

Austria-Hungar- y 77.545 570,068 157.477Germany 893,405 801,539 91.866France 201,820 215,384 13.564

Total 1,822,770 1,586,991 235,779Of these exports in 1903-- 4 (September 1 to July 31), Austria-Hungar- y

mntrihiiti.,1 i i tt(x innc nf nnd 57.?oj tons of raw sugar: Germany

374.309 tons relined and 385,640 tons raw, and France 120,989 tons re

fined and 80,954 tons raw.in Tnr?.? i.i ci.inmpnic were ns follows: Austria-Hungar- y. 56.1,814

tons refined and 101,083 tons raw; Germany, 522,688 tons refined and 3",- -

641 tons raw; France, 133,274 tons renneu ana 54.73 ions raw, ukkic-gutln- g

1,219,776 tons refined and 468,462 tons raw. This indicates n con

tinued falling off in the refined grades.The total production for the season of 1903-- 4 was 5,286,800 tons,

against 5,207,500 tons in 1902-- 3, an increase of something like 1.5 percent. All the European countries except France and Russia increased theirproduction. Bureau of Statistics, Department of Commerce and Labor.

MOSQUITOESATTHE FAI'R

ST. LOUIS, Sept. 23. About the center of the building devoted to for-estr- y,

fish and game is a circular case containing one of the most curious

exhibits in the entire exposition. It is furnished by the state of New Jer-se- y,

and Illustrates the life, character and achievements of the mosquito,

which, as everybody knows, is one of the notable products of that state.It is the first time the mosquito ever appeared officially at an interna-

tional exposition. I do not quite understand why he should be classified

with .forestry, fish and game. It would seem more appropriate to put him

in the varied Industries building, because he is famous for his industry,and applies it in various ways and directions. But, as he has entered no

protest, as dissatisfied exhibitors usually do, we may assume that he is

satisfied with his place, and everybody can learn a valuable lesson from him.

The purpose of the exhibit is plain, and it is not only useful, but very

important, since it has been demonstrated that he is of all insects the most

dangerous as a distributor of disease. So dangerous is he regarded by

medical science that large sums of money are now being expended on theAtlantic coast and elsewhere forhis extermination. Indeed, some doctorsassert that the mosquito is entirely responsible for what are called malarial

diseases, and the investigation of the army surgeons in Cuba have shown

that he is the most active agency in spreading yellow fever as an epidemic.

It is therefore apropos that the medical authorities of New Jersey should

make an exhibit and show the people of other states what Is being done

there to remove the pest and protect the public against It.

We learn from the exhibit that there are several kinds of mosquitoes,

and they are shown In a most intelligent and comprehensive manner. The

I. C. SMITH,Q, P, A. T, A. Star Want Ads pay 25 cents, (Continued on page seven)

Av

.":.

v

.;?:

V

";5

V S V - ' .tli -- -?. tl.1

'.r;i ?;. r'i'?i?.TOt; i AN MAKK A

But it won't )w narlv as satlnfActory an one of thou Are

IPiixx orO ekxrx id1 oilIftoLOlce-t- s

that we have Just received. We have &large assortment of weights, and alsohave a line of the cheaper Rackets.Wright & Dltson Championship ballsnnd B. G. I. Balls.

Nets and P lcs, Tapes etc., etc.Rackets with the finest

srade of gut and satisfaction guaran-teed.

For anything : ou need in the tennisline, try

L 0. HALL & SON, LTD.

;9:.:;e'::f:i

V

t.t

f

You do not StoopBut Stand Erect

When using THE UNITED STATES ROTARY 7, ;

i WASHERS. This is the running machine on ,

the market.Icthes are turned back and forth through the

hot soap-- , lids, and cleaning them without RUBBINGTHEM to pieces.

This is our second shipment and parties who haveused these machines speak very highly of them.

.o:.

.v.:

lig-te-

The

Theo. H. Davies & Co.,

to

Trade

Hardware Department

OUR OWN LINESan Francisco Chicago

(WITHOUT CHANGE).

STANDARD AND TOURIST SLEEPERS DAILY

Mark.

Stopping en route at Los Angeles, also "THE PETRIFIED FORESTSand the "GRAND CANYON OF ARIZONA."

HONOLULU PEOPLE TAKE THE SANTA FE ROUTE DURING THE

COLD WINTER AlONTHS. AN IDEAL TRIP ALONG THE OILED ROAD

BEDS ON THE CALIFORNIA LIA1ITED. TWO TRAINS DIALY.

iv

Passenger Agent, W. G. Irwin & Co., Office

"The Only Way"To the World'sFair at St, Louis

.jjir.-i!?'!- !

The Handsomest Trains in the World, consisting of Matchless Chair

Cars, Standard and Compartment Sleepers,

Cars, all wide Vestibuled, are operated over the Chicago

& Alton Railway between KANSAS CITY AND ST. LOUIS, KANSAS CITY.

AND CHICAGO, AND ST. LOUIS AND CHICAGO. This fact, together with

the courteous attention shown everybody, makes the Chicago & Alton Rail-wa- y

Indeed "THE ONLY WAY." Nice connections are made with all lines

entering Kansas City, St. Louis and Chicago. vrKindly request the Agent to ticket you over the Chicago & Alton Rail-wa- y,

or address: A. P. STEWART, General Agent, Chicago & Alton Rail-wa- y,

80 Crocker Building, San Francisco, Ca!. 1, :'.t

Page 7: THE XT E TAT S TT AT QHP T2

III F

(Continued from pne IO

Installation is admirable, mid then every object i accompanied hy a tietrilled explanation plainly written upon a card which enhances the value efthe exhibit a hundredfold. We have not only different kinds of mosquitoesImpaled upon pins, but wc have the life history of each one, and you willbe surprised to know there nre so many varieties. Some of them sIiir and '

some arc silent. Perhaps you have discovered that fact by personal expe- - '.

rlcncc. Some arc perfectly harmless, others go about loaded with poison,and the malarial distributor Is a particular kind of insect and does thegreatest amount of damage. It would be difficult for any one to explain thereason of his creation.

One of the most Interesting features of the exhibit is the model of a

marsh, a bit of swamp land similar to that found along the Atlantic coast,and often in the interior of the country, in which mosquitoes arc producedand developed under the most favorable circumstances, and In It we areshown how they arc born and live and die. In the same cose we ore taughtthe best methods of exterminating the insect, and are shown how suchmarshes can be drained and reclaimed and the evils produced by themeradicated.

The means and methods adopted In New Jersey for the extermination ofmosquitoes are said to have been more successful than in any of the otherstates. A large amount of money has been expended for that purpose, andscience has shown its greatest skill and used its best endeavors with thegreatest degree of success. Different means arc necessary in differentplaces. No single rule applies to all localities, and hence It is very impo-rtant that sanitary officers throughout the United States should study thevaluable object lesson in natural history that is presented here.

To the general public, to the sufferers from the mosquito pest, the col-

lection of antidotes and the instructions as to their use are particularly val-

uable, and everybody ought to know that the New Jersey scientists recom- -

mend aqua ammonia and a wash made of carbonate of soda as the best rem-

edies for mosquito bites. The frequent application of these solutions will

neutralize the poison and reduce inflammation more promptly than anythingelse.

every farmer's wife and every householder In villages that are suffering

from the mosquito pest may learn from this exhibit also that mosquitoescan be exterminated by pouring crude petroleum into all pools of stagnantwater in the neighborhood and into barrels that are kept to receive the rainwater from the roofs of their barns and houses. Stagnant water is neces- -

sary for the production of mosquitoes. A little will produce a good many.A few inches in the bottom of a barrel is enough, but the remedy Is simple

and effective. Get rid of all the stagnant water in your neighborhood, andif you cannot get rid of it cover the surface with crude petroleum.

Dr. L. 0. Howard, the entomologist of the Department of Agriculture, ht

another very interesting mosquito exhibit in the government building, butit is not as large or as much in detail as that of New Jersey.

There are many other curious exhibits. There ought to be a catalogue of

them. The guide to the exposition grounds is very good as far as it goes.

And there is also an official catalogue of exhibits, but it is as big as a citydirectory, and contains 70,000 paragraphs. What is needed more (than any-

thing else is an abridgement that will tell people what are the most inter-

esting things to see and where they can be found. William E. Curtis in

Washington Star.

A TOURIST.

The archbishop of Canterbury is a remarkable tourist. He franklythat he has come to this country to learn and not to teach.

For an Englishman he is strangely indifferent about a prece-

dent. Baltimore American.

A GREAT

The latest of the of the religious orders from

France is the that a of eminent French chemistshas succeeded in exactly the famous Chartreuse liquor, here-

tofore the exclusive product of the Carthusian monks, now expelled.

the religious excitement in France is not yet abated.There are other incidental problems yet unsolved. Boston Herald.

RUSSIANS

MOSQUITOES

ROW

REMARKABLE

ac-

knowledgesestablishing

PROBLEM.

development expulsionannouncement commission

reproducingNev-

ertheless, perceptibly

JO

COMPLETE CHANGE IN THE PUB-

LIC MIND CAUSED BY KURO-PATKIN- 'S

ADVANCE.

ST. PETERSBURG, October 8. Thecomplete transformation In the publicmind as to the chances of the Manchu-ria- n

campaign has now spread to allclasses, and Its effects are everywherevisible. The public no longer describethe Japanese Generals ns they did be-

fore the battle of Liaoyang, in despair-ing terms as men of diabolical cunningwhom no Russian could ever hope tooutwit. Profound is the public's dis-may at now seeing dally incontestlbleevidence of the powerful cabal direct-ed against General Kuropatkin. Thepe.ople are absolutely at a loss to un-

derstand why after as great and suc-

cessful a strategic achievement us theworld has ever witnessed Kuroput-kin- s

withdrawal of his entire forceftojn Liaoyang occasion should botaken by the Czar for the appointmentof a general of secondary standing tobe his equal in command, while bothwill be under some unnamed.generalls-slmo- .

An article in the ofllclal Journal deSt. Petersbury angrily attacks writerswho, In the face of a definite ofllclulannouncement to the contrary, con-

tinue to discuss the possibility of ar-ranging an early peace. It says:

"It Is war, not peace, that we mustInsist upon today,and through It victory at any price.To luy down arms after the bloodspilled and the humiliation suffered ina war which we did not seek wouldit not be to trample under foot na-tional dignity and spit In the face ofRussia, to which some of these peace-making philosophers claim to be-

long?"The meagernees of the newH from

the front Is Increasing the uncertaintyregarding the developments. There lagood warrant for the belief that Gen-eral Kuropatkin Is strengthening hisleft Hank to meet the Japanese turn-ing movement, his troops occupyinga triangle from Fushun to Moukdenand Tie pass. Over 300 guns have ar-rived at the front and the activity ofthe Russian skirmishes below theHun river creates the Impression thatKuropatkin tpay contemplate assum-ing the offons've. The War Ofllce,however, gives no encouragement ofthis Idea, though naturally If such nmove Is contemplated the War Officecould not be expected to admit It.

THE

DEVERILL Will!

LOOS ARM

FORMER PURSER iHJFFKIllN'i

FROM BLOOD POISON STARTED

FROM SCRATCH ON HIS FINOKR.

Eddie Devcrlll who was formerlypurser In the Inter-Islan- d Company'sservice and later accepted a position inthe tax department at Nawlllwlll, hasbeen dangerously 111 with blood poison,lng. He went liuntlng and in somemanner, got verdegrls Into a scratlhon his linger. He paid no attentionto the scratch, thinking it to be of noconsequence but the hand soon swelledand llnally the entire right arm becameaffected. For a time, the physiciansfeared that amputation would be necessary but advices brought today were tothe effect that the affected member hadbegun to Improve and the chanceswere In favor of tht young man notlosing his arm.

KOIJA COFFEE

CROP SHORT

NEWS BY STEAMER MA UNA LOA

IS TO EFFECT THAT WINDS AND

RAINS HAVE DONE DAMAGE.

Reports brought this morning fromKomi by the steamer Mauna Lou, areto the effect that the coffee crop of thiitsection of Hawaii Is likely to be veryshort this season. High winds amiheavy rains have been the cause forthe shortage. The steamer brought aconsignment of 1,094 bags of coffee.

The steamer arrived this morningfrom her run to Hawaii and Maul portsShe brought over 8,000 sacks of sugarand a general assortment of freight.

Purser Conkllng reports that theweather was pleasant on both the outward and Inward trips. The mm w.ma little choppy in Kau.

A fair sized crowd of passengers airived on the vessel, a number being ofthe Morning Star baseball combinationwhich comes from Maul to play theMalle team tomorrow afternoon.

Charles Notley and other Home Rul0spellbinders went from Kona to Maulon the vessel.

Star Want r.ds pay at once.

MI COR ICLOSING IE1

A Nl'MHRIt or CRIMINAL TRIALHAW BUT XQ CIVIL AKHlOTTl.ttD.

WAll.t'XU, Mnl, October M.-- Tb

octotw term f th fecoftd Clrfwtlcourt wilt cms wi Smut-dni"- . Tfeerem a Km for trl' the cmm of the Terri-

tory verwu KiiHl (k), churn with theembeBlemut of one hundred dollar.A jury Ihm ben drawn lit the cure amithe trial will commence tomorrowmorn I up t 9 o'ulock.

The following; criminal eiiei havelen UlciMMteri during the week:

Territory v. .Manuel l"hae, nwNtult.md battery. Plead guilty. .Sentencedto be Imprisoned at hard labor for theterm of ten ilny.

Territory vs. Hoke Pouhw), larcenyIn the (lrat degree. Sentenced to Im-

prisonment at hard labor for the termof two years.

Territory vs. Tue. einbes.leinent of1305. Trial by Jury, verdict guilty. Twoyears Imprisonment at hard labor.

Territory vs. Papa Kahaulelia. may-hem. Plead guilty. Sentence auspend-e- d

for the term of one year.Territory vs. Kaalhue Ioatie nnd KhIh

assault and battery. Trial by Jury.Verdict of not guilty.

Territory va. S. Kekichl, embezzle-ment. Trial by Jury. Verdict notguilty.

Territory vs. Juan Flores. assault andbattery, trial by jury. Verdict of notguilty.

Territory vh. M. I Decker and Fushl- -kawa, violating Section 46G of the penalcode. M. It. Decker found guilty andFushlkawa not guilty.

There has not been a single civil capetriable by Jury taken up this term,they having been settled out of court orpostponed for the term by stipulation.

CHARGED WITH ARSON.

Puke Bob was brought from Kona to-

day on the steamer Mauna Loa to betrued on a charge of arson. He Isaccused of aiding In the recent tiringof the trash house at Nualeliu.

MUTING FOR

PORTUGUESE

A I. AMOK OATHKIHNO IK UKIMI!

Ui'AMt AT Pt'MI'INO KTATIon'

J.AT XIOMT. I

A well attended Republican meellnjtwag hM lat evettlnir on Alaiwl tretltilrt'i lh trttmplnn Mtatlon. It wanIntended mainly for the benefit of Por-tug- ut

cllimm and in thin It waauccful. John MmvHllltio wan thefirst iiakr and hp wan followed byFrank A ml rude and Carlo lionjr. Thethree candidate for the Senate, 1C.

Faxon Irtftiop, John Lane ami JackDowaett were all present and eachwas well received upon rlplng to speakThe presence of a brass band and theshouting off of a number of rocketslive variety to the occasion.

MAUI NEWS.WAILUKU, October 20. Judge A. S.

Mahaulu who has been with PrinceKuhlo on a campaign tour returns toHonolulu today by the Maunaloa.

George Maxwell one of the strongestHome Rulers on this island has Joinedthe Republican ranks.

The all-Ma- ul baseball team leaves tonight for Honolulu to play with the.Malle team. The following will com-pose the team. T. Kruger, N. Kruger,K. Smith, J. Garcia. A. Garcia, GeorgeH. Cummlngs, W. Crowell, W. Morris,A. Jackson, W. Bailey and Kun

J. Llghtfoot arrived here on Tuesdayevening to attend to a case on thisterm's calendar of the court and willreturn to Honolulu tonight.

EXPORTATION STOPPED.The government of Bulgaria and Ru

mania have issued decrees prohibitingthe exportation of corn and other cattie foods. Exceptional freight rates,amounting to a reduction of about CO

per cent, are given by Hungarian andParisian railroads for corn and foodstuffs.

WlnH .Tf"j 1 dntlnir. Star Ofu

Miss Rose Hennessy, well known as 1a poetess and elocutionist, of- - Lexington,Ky., tells how she was cured of uterineinflammation and ovaritis by the use ofLydia E. Pinkham's Vegetable Compound.

" IIkar Mits. Pinkiiam : I have been so blessedly helped through the useof Lydia E. Pinlclinm's Vegetable Compound that I .'eel it but jubt toacknowledge it, hoping that it may help some other woman suffering as I did.

' For years I enjoyed tho best of health and thought that I would alwaysdo so. I attended parties and receptions thinly clad, and would be suddenlychilled, but I did not think of tho results. I caught a bad cold eighteenmonths ago while menstruating, and this caused inflammation of the womband congested ovaries. I suffered excruciating pains and kept getting worse.My attention was called to your ArcfrctaIlo Compound and tho wonderfulcures it had performed, and I made up my mind to try it for two months andsee what it would do for me. Within one montii I felt much better, andat the close of tho second I was entirely well.

" I have advised a number of my lady friends to uso it, and all expressthemselves as well satisfied with the results as 1 was." Miss Rose Nora.Ubn.nessy, 410 S. Broadway, Lexington. Ky.

Tho experience nnd testimony of some of tlio most notedwomen of America go to prove beyond a question that Lydia E.Pinklmm's Vegetable Compound will correct nil such trouble nndat once, by removing the cause, nnd restoring tho organs to anormal and healthy condition.

"Dear Mns. Pinkiiam: About two years ago I consulted a phy-sician about my health which had becomo so wretched that I was nolonger able to bo about. I had severe backache, bearing-dow-n pains,pains across tho abdomen, was very nervous and irritable, and thistrouble grew worse each month. Tho physician prescribed for me, butI soon discovered that ho was unable to help me, and I then decided totry Lydia 13. 1'inkhnm's Vegetable Compound, and soon found thatit was doing mo good. My appetite was returning, tho pains disappear-ing, and tho general benefits were well marked.

" You cannot realize how pleased I was, and after taking tho medi-cine for only three months, I found that I was completely cured of mytrouble, and have been well and hearty ever since, and no more fear thomonthly period, as it now passes without pain to me. Yours very truly,Miss Peakl Aokkks, 327 North Summer St., Nashville, Tenn."

When n medicine has been successful in restoring to healthmore than a million women, you cannot well sny without trying it"I do not believe it will help inc." Jf you nre ill, do not hesitntoto get a bottle of Lydia E. lMnkhum's Vegetable Compound andwrito Mrs. Pinkiiam at Lynn, Mass., for special advice. Her ad-vice is freo nnd helpful, write to-da- y. Delay may bo fatal.tflClinn FORFEIT" wee&nnot forthwith produce tht original letters nd ilgmtarcl ofXlllllll hvT tiUuiunJU), wulcli will prove their absolute genulneneu.Oil II till . LxdUK.l,lukhmJteU.Co.,L7nn)U.

Bind YourWorld'sIPoxtfolio

These magnificent views nrewell worthy of jvermanent pos-seel-

and studv. They are ofvalue for all time. There Is noneed to wait until the whole se-r- ia

la Issued, for as a rule someof them are so soiled and wornas to render them unfit for bind-ing, but you can begin now andkeep each part In good

Yesl Then not take glass of

at meal times. You will find it and it will yousleep well. It is to take.

Sold all

AND BARS.

We have just received a large invoice of goods which are nowalso

latest styles in ladies and gents hats hand and made to eashort

EC.28 and 32 Hotel St. Robinson Block.

I

:0 o

Kntered for Itecord Oct .20, 1904.

Hobi-r- t F. LanKe and wf to BishopZeugma Ex D

Est of S. O. Wilder Ltd to Wilderoi "o Ltd D

Emily Keelen and hsh. ito JoaquinUiirWu M

Lau Yin to Lau Sum AI.Win L Peterson to S. I. Shaw D

Peleklla Ioano and hsh to William E.Howell D

Kauinul and wf to William E. Howell. D

Itecorded Oct. 15, 1001.

and hsbto II W Kinney; D; lnt In Est of Ka-naln- a,

dec; $1. B 25S, n 431. DatedOct 11, 11)04.

J. Alfred JlaRoon to J J Dower; Hel;Ic land, Kewnlo, Honolulu, Oahu; $!00B ISO, 72. Dated Sept 7, 1904.

David Kahanu nnd wf to Hans M.Olttel; D; It Ps C541, 77118, blds, etc.Anahola, Koolau, ICaul; $360. H 25S.

p 432. Dated Oct. 4, 1904.

Est of liernlce P Bishop by Trs toKaaemoku Knkulu et al; D: lots A andB of It P 4475, Kul 7713, An 34, Paalaa- -

kai, Waialua, Oahu; $9C. B 2SS. p 433.Dated June 23, 1904.

Kila and wf to Kuahiiic (k) ct al.D; lnt In H P 222n, Kul 0163. Knalaea,Koolaupoko, Oahu; $30. B 238, p 433.Dated Oct. 11, 1904.

John F. Bowler to Albert II McChes-ney- ;

AL; H P 7503, Kul 2937, Palama.Honolulu, Oahu; por of Pukul pond,Palama, Honolulu, $10. B 240,

p 281. Dated July 16, 1904.

Y Ahin ito John F Bowler; Consent;to AL. of H P 7503, Kul 2937, Palama,Honolulu, Oahu; por of Pukul pond,Paluma, Honolulu. Onhu. B 240, p 281.Dated July 10, 1904.

HAItltY GILMG.Tho news cabled from Germany that

Harry Gllllg, bon vlvant. of San Fran-cisco, Paris and Now York, was dyinglu Hamburg, s ddened a ho.stt of friendsIn this city. A gioom was cast over theBohemian Club, where Mr. Gllllg was aleading spirit and where, ho was aguest only a few months ago on a visitto San Francisco.

But Mr. Gllllg Is not near death, andthe gloom has lifted. He Is In excellenthealth, enjoying life In Paris. Cable

wero sent today by anxiousfriends who read tho dispatch In amorning paper and tho mistake wasdiscovered. The man whose life isgoing out at tho German health resortIs Henry F. Gllllg, a mining promoter,formerly of this city, who has livedmany years In Ixmdon and Hamburg.Ho is no connection to Harry M. GllllgJolly Bohemian of this city nnd Purls,and the former liusband of Mrs. AmyCrocker Ashe Gllllg Gouraud.

Harry M. Gllllg returned to Parisfrom a visit to San Francisco a s

ngo, nnd friends have heard re-cently from him nt tho gay French ca-pital.

Henry F. Gllllg, who Is rejwrted dy-ing a--t visited this city a

The beautiful binder which weoffer Is made of Uie 1mt HHc4'silk cloth, mboeseri In gold, thedesign being artistic and attrae-tlv- e,

making it a handsome orna-ment for t:.e center table. Asthere win be a. tr mendouf de-

mand for the binders, they Jiavebeen manufactured lu largequantities, thus bringing theprice eaiv reach.

Cost to You Oxxly

Do You SufferFrom Nervousness?

why a

PRIflO LAGERinvigorating make

easy

by

LIQUOR DEALERS, HOTELS

ISGBTW GOODSon display

Panama Hats.The on order

notice.

3B"UK:XJ5StOOA,

REALTY TRANSFERS

of

Kuhakuakol ICealohapuuole

p

Oahu;

Hamburg,

within

year ago, after an absence of twentyyears In Europe. 'His .health wasbroken then, nnd It Is said he must nowundergo an operation lu the slight hopeof saving nis life. S. F. 'Bulletin.

The Best Treatm...t that can be Giv-en cuts, bruises, sprains, scalds or likeInjuries Is a free a. . llcatlon of Cham-berlain's Pain Balm. It allays the painalmost Instantly and should always bokept on hand. For sale by all dealers.Benson, Smith Sc. Co., agents for

Want hiIh in Star cost out 25 cent,gults. Three lines three times for 25

cents.

AntiPain Pills(Dr. Miles') prevent as well as cureheadache, the commonest afflicticaof mankind. Carry in your pocket.No opiates. e. There are noubstltutes. Sold and guaranteed by all

druKchas. 23 dosoa 23 cents. NeTtr cold labulk.

ln. Mn.xs Medical Co. KUthart, IbO- -

BEOINNINO SEPTEMBER 2G,

FASHION RESTAURANTct Bethel street, rear of the Postofllce,will .serve IMAGER, BEEB with noon

lunch.MEALS 25 CENTS.

Hot TomalesServed from 0.30 in. to 12 p. m.

Delivered steaming hot to your homeIf you inn at 2!jc each from 3 to 9 p.m.

To male Cafe129 Hotel St. Phone Main 840.

IIOOIV KI3ISanitary Plumbei and Sewer Con.

nector.Tinsmith and sheet Iron work of all

kinds. Water pipe and gutter work Inall Its branches. Corner Hotel anilMaunakea Streets.

S. SAIKI,Bamboo Furniture

ANDPICTUItB FRAMES.

Neat and HandsomeDesigns made to ordr.

J63 Beretanla Street, near PunchUowl.

ENOS BROS.UNION ST. above MOTEL.

House and Oecoratlvo Pointing; Pa-- fKalsominlng and Tinting

a Specialty. Estimates Klven; orderssolicited

T. HAYASHI,TAILOR.

Clothes Cleaned, Dyed and ItepalredES7 Beretanla Street.

Opposite Queen's Hospital.

Page 8: THE XT E TAT S TT AT QHP T2

(L IMW and VHTled MMrtMMUl fmt1s hat. Jim tha tfitnt fw ths

WOHAN'5 BXCMANCm

HEINZSWIUiT.SOUK AND

DILL

PICKLES

We have now supply in bulkat te delicatessen counter, alsoa sew supply of fancy kinds ofcheese and German aausagea.

ME

Limited:

Telephone Alain 45

BETHES DA

WATERHas stood for 35Years at the Head asPerfection of Quality in

Mineral Water.

e that 'decoiates any table

An Article of Merit,Pleasant to Teste,Beneficial to Health.

CAEREUA&CO.,LIMITED.

17 Hotel St. Tel. Main 213.

TENTS

HAKESELL andRENTTHEM

Awnings

HAKE andSELLTHEfl

Pearson

PotterCo., Htcl.

mi - - Fort St.

Manilla' titli-l- ' rMuw Co .!- - I

ll.tw nlbin N Co .tfe I.Page

H II ii K r. hi ) CufrII' IH i Mm I 'o .! tM. tiopolllnn Meat Co . . Pag

.1 in i "i . illiur .Page Ii: I 'in ni. 1 iim Co Pag I

NKtVS IN A NU1'8HKL1

rjUHgrMuk That Htvc . CoiiilonwilNews of tin; Hit),

WBATHHirTlBPOltT.

L if. Weather Hureaw OtHee, YoungBtMiaint.

Temperatures: t a, hi., 74; S a. m Tl;10 a. m., Si ; noon, 81; moral mr HtfnliHttm72.

Barometer, 8 a. m tt.M; absolute hi),nudity s a. m., 8.TU grains per cubicfoot; relative humidity S a. in., 01 percent; dew point, Sa. in. 66.

Wind velocity: 6 a. in., t, northeast;8 a. m., 6 northeaat; 10 a. m., 10, eaat;noon 10, northeaat.

Rainfall during 21 hours ended 8 a.m. 0.

Total wind movement during 21 hoursended at noon 162 miles.

ALEX. ilcC. AJ8ULHY,Section Director, U. S. Weather Bureau

Golden Oate flour la beat in the world.All reliable rrooers sell it.

The bark Olympic la to aatl in ballasttomorrow for San Francisco.

Kwa Plantation Company hns declar-ed the usual monthly dividend.

Ah Po was fined $5 and costs todayby Judge Lindsay for driving a lamehorse.

Admiral and Mrs. Terry will returnto Washington via the Far East andthe Suez canal.

The Puna Sugar Co., foreclosure caseIs set for trial before Judge Do Bolttomorrow at 0 a. m.

An administratrix notice to creditorsof the estate of Charles B. Dwight Ispublished in this Issue.

The Itepubllcnn meeting last night onAlapal street, back of the pumpingplant, was well attended.

Henry May & Co., guarantee their M.II. brund of preserves, jams and Jellies.A full assortment of fruits Is now athand.

Lewers & Cooke have an excellentstock of Chinese matting, rugs andJapanese cotton rugs now In stock.Your Inspection is invited.

'Hawaiian News Company have Justreceived at their Alexander Young(Building store beveral new Fischerpianos. Sold on eijsy installments.

On page 1 Is shown a misses springheel shoe for $2.C0 which is a productof the famous makers Utz nnd Dunnanil sold bv Manufacturers' Shoe Co.

Kaalhue the native cowboy chargedw ith manslaughter in having indirect-ly caused the death of W. Daly, wasarraigned before Judge Lindsay todayund the case continued until Tuesday.

Metropolitan Meat f'ompany have anew stock of Helri sweet, sour inddill, pickles in bulk at the delicntesseucounter. At the fruit stand are allkinds of fruits and vegetables. in season

Notice of issue of summons on Sep-tember 22 in the case of KnmakahuaMiller against her husband dward Mil-ler, for divorce, was filed by P. D. Kel-le- tt

Jr.. clerk of Judge De Bolt's courttoday.

A meeting of all Republican precinctolllcers of the Fourth District with theDistrict Co'mmittee will be held nt head,quarters. Alukea and Merchant street,this evening to talk over the enmpaignsituation.

An important sale will take place onMonday next at Will B. Fisher's sales,room, when the entire property of theKamalo Sugar Company, situated onMolokai will be sold bv order of DavidDayton assignee. z

Judge Robinson allowed E. S. Boydand his attorney twenty days from thereceipt of the transcript of evidencewithin which to prseent a bill of ex-

ceptions to his conviction and sentencefor embezzlement.

Four of 'he Rapid Transit's new carsarrived on the Nevadan. Six more arcnow In San Francisco and will bobrought down next trip. The enrs werebuilt to order in Philadelphia nnd arefifty-si- x fi a long.

The H. A. ('. baseball team left onthe Mlkahala last evening. They ex-pect to play three games against theKauai boys. Harry Mossmnn, the De-puty Sheriff's clerk got week off nndwas able to go along too.

In Superintendent Holloway's suit onthe bond of Vivian Richardson, de-

faulted clerk of Honolulu Water WorksJudge Robinson has granted plaintiffan extension of ten days for servinghis amended complaint.

The last game of the series will beplayed 't the Mnklkl grounds on Sun-day at nine a. m. between the Maga-zines and Iron Workers. The Maga-zines haven't lost a game this season,having plaved seven and won seven.

The decision of Judge Robinson Infavor of the plaintiff In the case of the'First National Bank ngalnst J. (D.

Garves, J. M. McChesney and Alice M.McChesney was filed today. The suitwas for ejectment from land at i.

The meeting of the Board of Healthfor 4 o'clock yesterday afternoon, wasto consider petitions from members ofthe Democratic party for permits tocampaign speakers to visit the LeperSettlement. There was no quorum atthe appointed time.

CHOICE ALGAROBA

HRE WOO D

DELIVERED TO ANY PART OF THECITY. LEAVE ORDERS WITH

W. W. DIMOND & CO.Agents for East Mu Unnoh

ff MAItAM IM mit At "MtMtl tl MM

PrMvrtefc W. Mono am Mtan A4attnrwnm) alM be marrtnJ nt the rHM-fi--

of I'afriatii and Mr Titllett. Wal-klltl- ,

at 7 n'rlnrk tomottna eveningThe ptitapntlr tortile ram ho re latelyfrom England.! Mane l employed onKiUuea plantation, Kauai

The rrulse of the Yartit I'luh willstart fr ftabtou Island from Hlahnpsslip about Ko'olorh Saturday, to returnNundny night. On account of the III-n- a

of Oladya Mobron, Captain Ho-hro- n

will not sail, hla cre hnti-u- iwill be shipped on tile other boats.

Deputy Sheriff WllHsm K. Aaffrey hasreturned eaecuttoh itt the case of O. W,Burgess, M. D. v, Mrs. Henry Lymanfor fl 15.68 aa partly satisfied, in theremittance to court of tM.M from pro-ceeds of real eatale at Walhee, Maul.No other properly of defendant couldbe found In the Second Judicial Cir-cuit.

The Ka'uolani Gill's Rowing Clubare rowing twice a week. The crewmade an appearance in their uniformsin the harbor Wednesday evening aathe Mongolia went out. Miss oh strokethe crew. Mfes Terrie Dickson wasmade captain of the crew. There arethree girls' rowing dubs, the Lurllnes,Kaplolanls and Atkinson's boat crew.

Captain Henry W. Lyon, UnitedStates Navy, who waa recently detailedto the ommand of the naval stationat Honolulu as the relief of AdmiralSilas W. Terry, will probably sail onthe Hlerra November 10 Instead of onthe Manchuria November IS ns ori-

ginally ordered. The change wasmade necessary because the Manchu-ria's call at Honolulu has been revokedand she Is oriered to go direct to Yoko-hama.

The second relay swimming race willtake place at the Bishop wharf at 4. HO

Saturday afternoon. The HonoluluIron Works swimming team won thefirst race last Saturday. The team areMyrtles: T. Italian, Gus Berkert, F.'Berkert, E. Kopke, E. Kopke, (cap-tain), F. Hustace Jr., A. W. Ewart. II.I. W.: F. Sharp J. Lalng, F Lubeck,R Roe (Captain), W Spinney, J. O'BrienJudges: George Barker, Dillion nnd Mr.Bain of the Iron Works. Starter, C.Shepcnl, Timekeeper, Will Sopor.

DETAILS OF THE

KAUAI MURDER

CHESTER DOYLE RETURNEDFROM KAUAI WITH THE ALLEG-

ED MURDERER IN CUSTODY.

Chester Doyle returned this morningfrom Kauai on the steamer Noeau withKosal, the Japanese who is said tohave killed Humano at Hanapepe thisweek. Kosal was committed for trialon Kauai and was brought here toawait the sitting of the next term ofcourt. Chester Doyle conducted theprosecution, Kosflil was held for mur-- 1

der in the first degree.According to the testimony and evi-

dence secured by the authorities, Ko-sal and his wife had been living atHannpepe for some time. She was notso mindful of her marriage vows toKosal as he had a right to expect, butso long as the woman gave him theproceeds from her illicit conduct, heseemed satisfied. But Hamano ap-peared on the scone. The woman fellin love with the new-com- er who wasa fellow good to look upon, and shefrequented his company as often aspossible. The husband became enrag-ed because she did not turn the ac-

quaintance to profit as she had donowith other men.

On Sunday night, Kosal awoke anddiscovered his wife had left the house.He surmised that she was with Ha- -mano, so went to the latter's room andfound the pair together. He took thewoman back home und pretended to goto sleep. When he thought the womanhad fallen asleep, Kosal took a revolv-er and stole Into the room of Hamanoand shot him in the neck, inflictingwounds from which Hamano died onWednesday night.

In tio meanwhile the wife who hadeither been pretending to sleep or elsehad awakened and discovered her hus-band missing, followed after him,thinking that he meant mischief to-

ward her lover. The woman came Intothe room as her husband was shootingthe helpless man. A struggle ensuedbetween Kosal and the woman. In thefight the revolver was unsnapped andthe cartridge spilled on the floor. Ko-sal then picked up a knife and stabbedher and fled.

He went to a friend's place and toldthis man what had happened. Kosalproduced $90 and handed It.tothe otherJapanese with the request that themoney be sent to Kosai's relatives.Kosal announced that he proposfcT togo out and commit harlkarl. The frienddid not respond, however, to the re-quest for assistance, and refused tohave anything to do with Kosai's af-fairs. Kosal then said that he guessedIn that case he would surrender to thepolice. It Is thought that the femalevictim of Kosal will recover.

WANT TO KNOW

ABOUT DICK'S CLASS

LOCAL YALE MEN DO NOT LIKEHIS STYLE OF ENGLISH COM- -

POSITION.

Thero are many graduates of Yalein Honolulu and among them there Isat presont an air of polite enquiry asto "Dick" Garvin who arrived bore re-

cently ns "ex-)Itch- er of the Yale base-ball team." Nobody bothered until hewrote an article on for alocal paper in a style that was hardlyclassical enough to please some of thelocal sons of Old Ell, and then it be-gan to be wondered Just what classGarvin was In.

"Mind I am not saying that Garvinis not a Yale man, nor am I saying

si hitch 9 M organ,AUCTION ANmiOKMR.

MT-W- T Knahnmanu Nt. Tel Main tl.p u. not im.

AUCTION SALE

Old Lumber, Iron, Etc.SATURDAY, OCTOIMR 22, 1904.

AT 10 O'CLOCK A. M

t am instructed to sell upon thegrounds opposite the Fishmarket, cor-ner A lakes street and Beach road,

Lot of Old Lumber, corrugated Iron,Rtc, Etc.

Terms: Cash.

JAS; F. MORGAN,AUCTIONUHR

AUCTION SALEWHDNUSDAY, OCT. 26, 1904.

AT 10 O'CLOCK A. M.,

I am instructed by Mrs. Wlddlfieldto sell at her residence, corner of Kingund IMIkol streets, on the above date,all of her very elegant

Hrlc-a-Bra- c, Pictures, Silverware,Glassware, Chinaware, Persian Rugs,Kitchen Ware, Etc.

The predominating wood in furniturekoa, walnut and mahogany.The cut glass and Chinaware are es

pecially good. The varied assortmentof choice Individual pieces of furniture, collected during a number ofyears, offer a most advantageous op-

portunity for furnishing a house.On view Tuesday, Oct. 2G, 1904, from

2 until 4 p. m.

JAS, F. MORGAN,AUCTIONEER.

AUCTION SALETHURSDAY, OCT 27, 1904.

AT 10 O'CLOCK A. M

Furniture, Etc.I am Instructed by air. E. H. Fol-so- m

to sell at his residence, 1048 Kinaustreet, the whole of his Household Fur-niture and Effects.

For further particulars, see later ad-

vertisement.

JAS. F. MORGAN.AUCTIONEER.

ojxxxia.Importer and Wholesale Dealer In

LIQUORS,JAPANESE PROVISIONS,GENERAL MERCHANDISE,AND PLANTATIONSUPPLIES.

Plantation Orders Specially Cared For.

No. 21 & 23 Hotel St., Honolulu, T. H.

Telephone White 2411.

P. O. Box 90G.

that he was not pitcher In the ballteam," remarked a prominent Yaleman this morning, "but I cannot findhis name In the list of the alumni.There Is a man named 'Garvah,' agraduate of some years ago, but I donot think it can be he. I wish DickGarvin would give his class."

ENFORCING

THE UND LAWS

HOMESTEADS OF PETER LEE AND

L. C. LYMAN ARE ORDEREDSOLD

HILO, October 18. Sub-Lan- d AgentWilliams received Instructions by thelast mall to proceed to sell the home-steads of Petr Lee and L. C. Lyman,for failure to comply with the resi-dence clause In their leases. A dele-gation of leading citizens, Including S.L. Desha. Peter Lee and J. W. Masonwent to Honolulu last Friday to waitupon Governor Carter In regard to thecontemplated action, and if possiblesuspend action until the next session ofthe legislature. It Is claimed the de-mocrats and homo rulers and their Hlloorgan are making political capital ofthe governor's purposes of enforcingthe law.

DOYLE GOT BACK.Yesterday ut 4 o'clock, Doyle recelv

ed u wireless on Kauai from the Attor.ney General asking him to come back tohelp in the Interpreting of Japanese jnJudge Gear's court He heard that theNoeau wus due at Anahola and bythe Id of Manager Falrchlld who plac.ed the plantation train at his disposaland by tho boat's waiting over an hour.he was enabled to got back today. Thecourtesies were appreciated by the Attorney General's department

BERLIN HAIR REMEDIES.These reullv excellent hair nrenara

lions are the outcome of years of studyny a uerman nair specialist. The BerlinHair Restorer Is so good we guaranteeit money back If unsatisfactory AtHobronV.

WhitneyS G reat

No. 1.CRUSH WHITE WASH BELT

Duck WellMade and

Price only f O cents

,Lid.

OFFICERS:H. P. Baldwin PresidentJ. ii. Castle First nt

W. M. Alexander 2d nt

J. P. Cooke Treasurer'W. O. Smith Secretary

George R. Carter Auditor

Sugar Factors and

AGENTS FORHawaiian Commercial & Sugar Com-

pany.Haiku Sugar Company.Pala Plantation Company.Nahlku Sugar Company.Klhel Plantation Company.Hawaiian Sugar Company.Kahulul Railroad Company.

ANDTHE CALIFORNIA AND ORIENTAL

STEAA1SHIP COAIPANY.

AND

No other floor covering so A-ttractive and serviceable for themoney as our Chinese MattingRugs. The variety of patternsis complete now and we Inviteyou to come and see our hand-some array of these goods.

We also have a full assort-ment of Japanese and ChineseMattlnt? at the lowest prices.

2LIMITED

17" South King Street.

Sanl'ary. Economical.

Send fvr toiiay.

&

FOH THISFRIDAY

Superior QualityShaped

SPECIALS FOR

Commissionflerchants

Matting Rugs

Mattings

n Git.

MarshSpecials

No. 2.OUR CELEBRATED GIRDLE

Corsets, Made of Fine Qual-

ity White Satin RibbonSizes IS to 24

Price 50 cents

FRIDAY ONLY

C, BREWER & CO,,

QUEEN STREET,HOHOLULU, H. T.

AQBNTS FOR

Hawaiian Agricultural Company, Oasmea Sugar Company, Honomu 8ugCompany, Walluku Sugar Company,Ookala Sugar Plantation Company,Haleakala Ranch Company, KapapalaRanch.

Planters' Line Shipping Company,Charles Brewer Coa Line of Boa-to- n

Packets.

LIST OF OFFICERS.Charles M. Cooke PresldeatGeo. II. Robertson. V.-Pr- & Mgr.E. Faxon Bishop... Treas. & 'Secy.W. F. Allen AuditorP. C. Jones DirectorC. H. Cooke DirectorG. R. Carter DlreetorAll the above named constltutlag

the Board of Directors.

IS Discount

One Week Only

Extra Heavy Venetian Ware

Green marbleized outside whiteinside Teakettles, Berlin Kettles,Pudding Pans, Plates, Jelly CakePans, Dish Pans, Cullanders, WashBasins, Ladles, Basting Spoons, Pails,Covered Buckets, Tea and CoffA;

Pots, Coffee Biggans.

LEWIS & CO., LTD.The Lewers & Cooke Bulldlag.

169 KING STREET.

2402 Telephones 24C.

BKAVEU LUNCH ROOM,Street. Opposite Wilder & Co.

H. J. NULTE, PROP'R.

First-Cla- ss Lunches served with tea,)ffee, soda water, ginger ale or milk.

Smokers Requisites a Specialty.

Want ads In Star but 25 cents.

woven for rfrlifppatnr ia. inMl

Waihable. Durable.

Spuii tfj'j or iUeJf.

political im:e.ti, i.f.d iUinc in ft,e mnrL-e- t is nnlitical ties. Thcv are made of

handsome silk material with photograph of the Republican and Demo-

cratic nominees for President and Vice-Preside-

Only a limited supply on hand and can be had for 35 cents at

No. 30 King Street, Near Bethel.

A Mtitikat afipplnilv

'

Pie

Fort

c

cost

the

of Itnit ami dttert what other blankets willimtilo. l'rotects the ire from the warm air that circu-late above.

Carrie no (Mors or Jerm.Are You Willing to Pay One Dollar to Save Twenty

The Arctlolce lllanket will do this for youby maktiiK your Ice laU twice aa limit

SAVES liYOUR-IC- E

BILLS- -one

of

Mailed to mi) uilili sh in the VnitcilKtutua ii,im receipt of $1.00.

W. V. DIMOND & CO., LTD.Distributors for Hawaii.