transmedia and gamification
out of 20
Post on 01-Nov-2014
Embed Size (px)
- 1. Dr. Amber Hutchins
- 2. Transmedia Storytelling Transmedia storytelling represents a process where integral elements of a fiction get dispersed systematically across multiple delivery channels for the purpose of creating a unified and coordinated entertainment experience. Story is told across multiple platforms
- 3. Synergy Economics of media consolidation or "synergy." Modern media companies are horizontally integrated - that is, they hold interests across a range of what were once distinct media industries.
- 4. In a World Based not on individual characters or specific plots but rather complex fictional worlds which can sustain multiple interrelated characters and their stories.
- 5. Extensions may serve a variety of different functions Fill gaps in time between productions Provide insight into the characters and their motivations. Flesh out aspects of the fictional world. Bridge between events depicted in a series of sequels
- 6. Everything Old Is New Again Marshall McLuhan The Medium is the Message Each medium creates new environment situation for understanding Global Village: Peace and harmony, or Ann Landers column writ large Media are extensions of human faculties Electronic media/brain functions
- 7. The Blair Witch TM Explosion Had tons of footage Mythology and back story Utilized the Internet in a new way Purposefully deceptive (DEAD Actors?) Hacking reality
- 8. Twin Peaks: Pre-Internet
- 9. Changes in Media Use, Producers & Consumers Fan fiction Interactivity Ownership, participatory culture User-generated content Fan communities
- 10. TM: ideal aesthetic form for an era of collective intelligence. Pierre Levy: collective intelligence New social structures that enable the production and circulation of knowledge within a networked society. Participants pool information and tap each others expertise as they work together to solve problems. Functions as a cultural attractor, drawing together like-minded individuals to form new knowledge communities. Transmedia narratives function as textual activators - setting into motion the production, assessment, and archiving information.
- 11. Transmedia in the Field CampfireNYC 42 Entertainment True Blood Game of Thrones From the fringe to traditional firms HIMYM
- 12. Disney Marketing: Building Nostalgia Disney Has Been Virally Marketing Jason Segels Hard- to-Make Muppets for 18 Months Lotso Huggin Bear Creating History, Nostalgia
- 13. Gamers Increase in gaming, changes in gamers Farmville My online life IS my real life! More gamers: More immersive storytelling
- 14. Games are Sticky Cooperative Require active participants Have a goal Now, social
- 15. Gamification Seth Priebatsch The Game Layer Jesse Schell Everything is a game, even Weight Watchers! Incentives Strategic moves (Game theory) Jane McGonigal Solve the Worlds Problems
- 16. ARGs: Transmedia Storytelling Beyond video/Product Immersive Experience Combined promotional, marketing efforts
- 17. ARGs: Art, Game or Promotion? Ancillary or essential to the storyline? NIN Year Zero Lost Experience
- 18. Beyond Viral: Embracing the Social Web
- 19. Audi: The Art of the Heist Blurring the lines between reality and fiction when is it too much? Deceptive?
- 20. Everything Old is New Again What we do isn't new; it's timeless. Telling stories is one of mankinds most enduring traditions, and our increased connectedness has only made spreading them faster, more pervasive, and more effective. Campfire NYC
View more >