cataloger 3.0: competencies and education for the bibframe catalog
Click here to load reader
Post on 11-Aug-2014
Embed Size (px)
DESCRIPTIONPresented at the 2014 ALA Annual Conference, meeting of the Competencies and Education for a Career in Cataloging Interest Group
- Cataloger 3.0 Competencies and Education for the BIBFRAME Catalog Presented at the 2014 ALA Annual Conference, Competencies and Education for a Career in Cataloging Interest Group Meeting
- Catalog 3.0 Just in case BIBFRAME flops: Well focus on tools and skills that can be applied in any library metadata and information access scenario that takes advantage of SemanticWeb technologies Thomas Meehan,Beyond MARC: MARC, linked data, and Bibframe, http://www.slideshare.net/orangeaurochs/marcld2013
- Why BIBFRAME? Because interoperability. University of Toronto Libraries,Library Linked Data and the Future of Bibliographic Control, http://www.slideshare.net/ITSToronto/linked- data-olita-2013
- How the RealWorldThinks of Book Information Phil John,Linked Library Data in the wild, http://www.slideshare.net/philjohn/linked-library-data-in-the-wild-8593328
- The BIBFRAME Catalog An Introduction
- BIBFRAME Model: CreativeWork Instance Authority Annotation Vocabulary: http://bibframe.org/vocab/ Eric Miller et al., Bibliographic Framework as aWeb of Data: Linked Data Model and Supporting Services (Washington, DC: Library of Congress, November 21, 2012) Thomas Meehan, BIBFRAME http://www.slideshare.net/orangeaurochs/cig-tm-bibframe
- The catalog is extensible Annotation class facilitates access to a variety of data sources outside of the library catalog The opportunity to imagine new user experiences? Coyles InFormation,BIBFRAME Authorities (March 14, 2013) http://kcoyle.blogspot.com/2013/05/bibframe-authorities.html
- Holdings are an Annotation PS3572.O5 B5 1987C20130807Signed by the author.Access is restricted; consult library for details copy 157Jefferson or Adams Building Reading Rooms71234non-circulating (The de-integrated library system?) The opportunity for really awesome item-level description!
- Linked Data is a thing The catalog is made up of data, not documents That data is on the (surface) Web
- Authority Control Finally GetsAwesome We switch from strings to things (proper identifiers) Authority control is achieved with URIs that can be de-referenced Might we pay a little more attention to our Authority records? Might they become info resources in their own right? The most basic unit of Linked Data value is the hyperlink.The most powerful aspect of hyperlinks is their ability deliver combined denotation (naming) and access (de-reference) services for data objects that represent entities (real-world, web, and other realms). Kingsley Idehen,Linked Datas Follow-Your-Nose Pattern, https://plus.google.com/+KingsleyIdehen/posts/KWXYFFvMw8g
- Encoding is human-readable BIBFRAME can serialized in human-readable markup languages, like rdf/xml or json Does the dichotomy between copy catalogers and original catalogers still make sense? Screenshot of the BIBFRAME Editor, http://bibframe.org/tools/editor/
- Everything is Non-MARC Does the dichotomy between the catalog librarian and the metadata librarian still make sense?
- User Interface Design is Ours Death of the out-of-the-box library catalog? Browsing experiences? Custom-tailored search features? Micro-catalogs for specific purposes? Screenshot from University of Miami Libraries,UDVD, https://library.miami.edu/udvd/
- New UserTasks Maybe well stop giving them so much work
- UserTask: Browse Hyperlinks facilitate follow-your- nose browsing Jackie Shieh,Bib Data Experiment the GW Journey, http://www.slideshare.net/jshieh/bib-data-experiment-the-gw-journey
- UserTask: Re-purpose Mash & Re-mix Digital Scholarship Visualize Play DataVisualization from the Book Artists Unbound project, http://eac.allisonjai.com
- The BIBFRAME Catalog Librarian Resource Description Librarian? Metadata Librarian?
- Toolkit for Cataloger 3.0 NEW STUFF Variety of markup languages RDF & Semantic Web tools Item-level description Licenses and copyright for data Research Interoperability External collaborations SAME OLD STUFF Authority control Cooperative content creation, sharing, and use Database management Entity-relationship model User experience design
- Education for Cataloger 3.0 CATALOGER 2.0 LEARNED Principles of information organization in libraries Classification schemes MARC formats Content guidelines (RDA, AACR2) CATALOGER 3.0 SHOULD LEARN New principles of information organization for the SemanticWeb (OWL, SKOS, RDF) Data transfer and transformations Transmission (JSON, XML) Styling (CSS, XSLT) Querying (SQL, SPARQL) Reporting (PERL, Python)
- The BIBFRAME Catalog Librarian Our old labor paradigms dont apply: Professional Librarian |= Original Cataloger Paraprofessional Librarian |= Copy Cataloger Metadata Librarian |= Digital Collections Who is Cataloger 3.0? Database Manager? Discovery Interface Designer? Policy Setter? Usability Tester? Data Curator? Infographic Designer? Web Content Writer? Crosswalk Guru? Research Analyst?
- Danke! Allison Jai ODell Special Collections Cataloging & Metadata Librarian | University of Miami Libraries [email protected] | @AllisonJaiODell | umscc.tumblr.com
- Resources Eric Miller et al., Bibliographic Framework as aWeb of Data: Linked Data Model and Supporting Services (Washington, DC: Library of Congress, November 21, 2012) Thomas Meehan,Linked Data:What cataloguers need to know http://www.slideshare.net/orangeaurochs/cig-tm- bibframe Thomas Meehan,Beyond MARC: MARC, linked data, and Bibframe http://www.slideshare.net/orangeaurochs/marcld2013 Kai Li,Introduction to BIBFRAME http://www.slideshare.net/islanderlee/introduction- to-bibframe Dorothea Salo,MARC and BIBFRAME: Linking libraries and archives http://www.slideshare.net/cavlec/marc-and-bibframe- linking-libraries-and-archives Karen Coyle,Bibframe Experiments, http://kcoyle.net/bibframe/ Allyson Carlyle,Cataloging Competencies for a Dynamic Professional, http://connect.ala.org/files/25915/AllysonCarlyleALA Midwinter2013.ppt.pdf Lukas Koster,Linked Open Data for Libraries, http://www.slideshare.net/lukask/linked-open-data-for- libraries Jackie Shieh,Bib Data Experiment the GW Journey, http://www.slideshare.net/jshieh/bib-data-experiment- the-gw-journey University of Toronto Libraries,Library Linked Data and the Future of Bibliographic Control, http://www.slideshare.net/ITSToronto/linked-data-olita- 2013