Embed Size (px)
DESCRIPTIONLightening Thief. Rick Riordan is the #1 New York Times bestselling author of the Percy Jackson and the Olympians series . … the Kane Chronicles, and the Heroes of Olympus. He is also the author of the multi-award-winning Tres Navarre mystery series for adults. - PowerPoint PPT Presentation
Rick Riordan is the #1 New York Times bestselling
author of the Percy Jackson and the Olympians series .• … the Kane Chronicles, and the
Heroes of Olympus. He is also the author of the multi-award-winning Tres Navarre mystery series for adults.
• His Tres Navarre series went on to win the top three national awards in the mystery genre - the Edgar, the Anthony and the Shamus.
• Riordan turned to children's fiction when he started The Lightning Thief as a bedtime story for his oldest son.
Author• For fifteen years, Rick taught English and history at public and private
middle schools in the San Francisco Bay Area and in Texas. In 2002, Saint Mary’s Hall honored him with the school’s first Master Teacher Award.
• He was a middle school teacher who taught mythology. While teaching full time, Riordan began writing mystery novels for grownups.
• Today over thirty-three million copies of his Percy Jackson, Kane Chronicles, and Heroes of Olympus books are in print in the United States, and rights have been sold into more than 35 countries. Rick is also the author of The 39 Clues: The Maze of Bones, another #1 New York Times bestseller. In 2011, Rick received the Children's Choice Book Award for Author of the Year.
Percy Jackson• Like being under water – only place he could think• Dyslexia - gift• ADHD – gift – battle reflex• Peruses – father Poseidon, god of sea
– Father forced to leave earth by Zeus– Was turning human– Did not allow him to return again– Cannot see children– Married to mother Sally– Must return lightening bolt by summer solstice– Water Gives him power
• Has to find lightening bolt and return to Zeus otherwise war by summer solstice• Travels across the united states to find it
• Brothers– Zeus– Poseidon– Hades• Overthrown father Kronos• Rivals ever since
• Threaten war
• Half god half human – children : half bloods or demi Gods
• Live on earth• Receive instruction from parents through their
minds• Do not ever see Gods
Zeus – God of Gods Olympus
Daughter of Athena
HadesPersephone – wife
Forced to marryHas pearls to take you to
Demi GodsPercySon of
Fury:Full of anger; flies, fire
Medusa:Gorgon, Athena condemned her to hair of snakes and turn people to stone.Goddess of vengeance.
Minotaur:Fighting monsterHead of bull. Minos – Greek, taur - half
Creatures • Centaur : half man, half horse
• Satyr - Greek Mythology Roman Mythology - faun
– Half man, half goat
• Pegasus: Winged Horse
• Unicorn: Mythical Horse with Horn on the Forehead.
• Sphinx: It had the body of a lion and the upper part of a woman
• Dragon: a mythical creature typically depicted as a large and powerful serpent/reptile
• Pygmies: were a nation of dwarfs
Phoenix: a mythical bird that dies in flames and is reborn from the ashes
• Fury• Minotaur• Medusa• Perseus: First hero of Greek Mythology• Percy: fatal flaw: dyslexia, ADHD
• Father Zeus• Favorite daughter• Patron Goddess of Athens• War Goddess with focus on strategy rather
than bloodshed• Goddess of wisdom and courage• Zeus swallowed Metis, his wife whole, and Athena was born out of his head
• Passed law God cannot have contact with children
• Poseidon was becoming human• Son of Kronos
– Kronos who swallowed children whole so they would not kill him for power
• Zeus was spared by sister Rhea who hid him away in the island of Krete– Rhea fed Kronos a stone, forcing him to throw up his other children.
• Protects Percy• Earns horns for staying behind in Hades.
• Wants to bring Olympus down• Percy is return lightening bolt to Zeus• Luke Wants it– Son of Hermes– Wants Gods to destroy themselves– Create a new world
• Lightening Theif
Setting: Goes back and forth from reality to fantasy
• Reality • Fantasy
• Comes for lightening bolt• Will come back• Sent minotaur to abduct her– Minotaur
• In underworld• Banished by Zeus and Posideon
• Needs to go to Zeus to convince him he did not steal lightening bolt
• Finds pears to guide him
• Medusa killed uncle Fernindad• Turned him into stone when look at her eyes• Has snakes for hair• Was turned to snake with hair by Athena• Tried to turn Percy to stone
• Anabeth, Daughter of Athena, Goddess of Wisdom
• Daughters of Aphrodite's, Goddess of love• Luke, son of Kermes
• Teacher turned into a fury• Teacher in wheel chair• Gives him a pen to defend himself• God of war• Half man half horse
• Lotus Setting– Eat lotus flower and cannot leave
• First rule of battle, don’t ever let your opponent distract you.