t11 12 2015

IF YOU LOVE MUSIC AND YOU LIVE IN MUSCAT, THEN IT’S TIME YOU GET TO KNOW TRAILBLAZING OMANI DJ, ZAHRA SANTOS PAGE 20 HIT THE ROAD Whether you want to take a short ride or head out for an afternoon on your cruiser, sportbike, or convertible, these five scenic routes are sure to please. PAGE 26 TASTE TUNISIA Take a drive to Al Khoud for a taste of authentic Tunisian street foods from egg-stuffed brik pastries to the spiciest tuna sandwich in Oman. PAGE 16 THIS WEEK IN OMAN UPGRADE YOUR MORNING MAKEUP Learn how to get a fresh look in under five minutes from Omani makeup artist Lamya Al Mawali. PAGE 14 Audited by OMAN’S LARGEST CIRCULATED WEEKLY — 54,000 COPIES A NEW SOUND IN THE SULTANATE VOL 9 ISSUE 34 /DECEMBER 11, 2015

Upload: kishore-bhatt

Post on 24-Jul-2016

Category:

Documents

6 download

DESCRIPTION

TRANSCRIPT

Page 1: T11 12 2015

IF YOU LOVE MUSIC AND YOU LIVE IN MUSCAT, THEN IT’S TIME

YOU GET TO KNOW TRAILBLAZING OMANI DJ, ZAHRA SANTOS

PAGE 20

HIT THE ROADWhether you want to take a short ride or head out for an afternoon on your cruiser, sportbike, or convertible, these fi ve scenic routes are sure to please. PAGE 26

TASTE TUNISIA Take a drive to Al Khoud for a taste of authentic Tunisian street foods from egg-stuff ed brik pastries to the spiciest tuna sandwich in Oman. PAGE 16

THISWEEK IN

OMAN

UPGRADE YOUR MORNING MAKEUPLearn how to get a fresh look in under fi ve minutes from Omani makeup artist Lamya Al Mawali. PAGE 14

Audited by

OM

AN

’S L

AR

GE

ST

CIR

CU

LA

TE

D W

EE

KLY

— 5

CO

PIE

S

A NEW SOUND IN THE SULTANATE

VOL 9 ISSUE 34 /DECEMBER 11, 2015

Page 2: T11 12 2015
Page 3: T11 12 2015
Page 4: T11 12 2015

H I W E E K L Y V O L U M E 9 I S S U E 3 4D E C E M B E R 1 1 , 2 0 1 504

FounderEssa bin Mohamed Al Zedjali

ChairmanMohamed Issa Al Zadjali

CEOAhmed Essa Al Zedjali

Chief Executive EditorScott Armstrong

Executive Features EditorFelicia Campbell

Features Production Editor Swati Dasgupta

EditorHubert Vaz

Senior EditorsT. A. Ameerudheen

Faisal Mohammed Naim

Chief Sub-EditorsMohammed Shafeeqe, Ashish Dubash

Online EditorMahran Shaukat Ali

Multimedia Editorial AssistantShruthi Nair

Chief Creative OfficerAdonis Durado

Associate Art DirectorWaleed Rabin

Graphic EditorAntonio Farach

Design EditorSahir K.M.

Lead DesignerAli Jani

DesignersAntonio Ismael Sandiego

Geri Batara SonnyGregory Fernandez

Director of Digital TelevisionJoe Morrison

PhotographyMMG Photographers

Chief Sales OfficerRichard Pakenham

Head Of Advertising & MarketingAziz K. Baker

Production ManagerShafi Shaik

On The CoverDesign by Ali Jani

For general inquiries or comments:[email protected]

EDITORIAL24726600/24726666 Ext 235/160

[email protected]

ADVERTISEMENT24726600/24726666 exT 435/193

[email protected]

CIRCULATION24726600/24726666 Ext 135/136 [email protected]

SAY HI ON FACEBOOK & TWITTERfacebook.com/hiweekly

twitter@hiweekly

Muscat Media GroupAN ISO 9001:2008 CERTIFIED COMPANY

Post Box: 770, Postal Code: 112, Ruwi, Sultanate of Oman

Give us a shout with questions, comments, compliments, complaints, or just to say “Hi”

[email protected]

[email protected]

[email protected]

[email protected]

[email protected]

[email protected]

[email protected]

[email protected]

[email protected]

[email protected]

[email protected]@timesofoman.com

Page 5: T11 12 2015

H I W E E K L Y V O L U M E 9 I S S U E 3 4D E C E M B E R 1 1 , 2 0 1 5 05

Photo

graph

y: Su

pplie

d

Tell us what you’re doing this weekend:

Tweet us @HiWeekly_Oman; tag us in your weekend

instagram photos @hiweekly_oman;

or share with us on FB/hiweekly

10 11 12THURSDAY

7:00pm Celebrate the Season

Celebrate Christmas early this year with the Muscat Rugby

Club, MRFC, who are hosting a sure-to-be lively, all-inclusive

Christmas Dinner for OMR 35 per person.

Grand Hyatt Safari Rooftop Grill House

+968 2464 1234

[email protected]

FRIDAY SATURDAY

THE WEEKEND

LINEUP Catch the hottest events that are happening this week in our calendar.

7:00pm Enjoy an Irish JigSpend an evening with the

family watching the new Irish dance show, Murphy’s Celtic Legacy, the first of its kind to

be staged in Oman. Shangri-La’s Barr Al Jissah

Resort and Spa

+968 2477 6666

irishdanceoman.com

7:30pm Have a BallEnjoy an all-inclusive bubbly evening of dinner and music at the ‘Clann na hOman and Muscat Magpies Christmas

Ball’ at the Lazy Lizard garden in the Radisson Blu. There

will be a live performance by the B’Sharps and a traditional

English Christmas dinner. The dress code is semi-formal and the all-inclusive ticket is OMR

35 per person. Radisson Blu

+968 9439 6452

[email protected]

4:30pm Go to ClassStudents age 10-14 can

take advantage of a Masters Robotics Class

with a curriculum designed to introduce students to robot building as well as

programming, and to help them understand the

engineering design process in a real world setting.

Engineering For Kids, behind

Al Fair Al Azaiba

+968 9511 7011

efk-oman.com

7:00pm Have a dose of laughter

The Stand-up Comedy Night at On The Rocks, Golden Tulip Seeb, will

feature some of the best comedians from Oman.

On The Rocks

Golden Tulip, Seeb

+968 9798 3333

goldentulipseeb.com

Page 6: T11 12 2015

H I W E E K L Y V O L U M E 9 I S S U E 3 4D E C E M B E R 1 1 , 2 0 1 506

Photo

graph

y: Su

pplie

d

Going out of town to

see any of these events? Tag us on Instagram

@hiweekly_oman and tell us about it on

facebook.com/hiweekly

Broadcasting the best events in the GCC (December 10, 11, 12)

K H A L E E J I H A P P E N I N G S

FIVETO TRY

PLACES TO [email protected]

HOUSE OF PROSELocated next to Sabco Centre in Qurm in the Al Wadi Commercial Complex, this bookshop has

an extensive range of new and second hand books including a large selection of childrens’ books. It is open from 4pm to 8pm on Fridays and from 9am

to 10pm on Saturdays. +968 2456 4356; houseofprose.com

PUBLIC KNOWLEDGE LIBRARYLocated near PDO in Qurm, this library’s main

focus is science and engineering texts, but also has encyclopaedias, dictionaries, atlases, and a range of books covering arts and humanities. This free, public library is open from Saturday to Thursday

from 8am to 2pm and 4pm to 9pm.+968 2467 3111; publiclibrary.gov.om

LET’S READThis non-profit bookshop located in Al Qurm

complex is a great place to go and look for super-cheap books and they accept book donations too.

They’re open from Saturday to Thursday from 10am-1pm and 5pm-7pm.

+968 24692996; daralatta.org

Page 7: T11 12 2015

SULTAN QABOOS GRAND MOSQUE LIBRARY

This library features a variety of Islamic texts as well as books explaining the various design styles used in the building of the mosque. It is open 9am to 2pm and 4pm to 9pm, Saturday

to Wednesday, and Thursday mornings sultanqaboosgrandmosque.com

Thursday, December 10Cycle Challenge (Dubai)

Catch some spinning action at the Dubai Autodrome where The Spinneys Dubai 92 Cycle Challenge will get off to a flying start with Junior Rides. The weekend of cycling action will continue on December 11 with two popular rides, the 92km & the 53km ride, on all-new routes. Dubai Autodrome

+971 4321 0008; cyclechallenge.ae

Thursday, December 10Christmas Tree Lighting (Qatar)Usher in the Christmas spirit as you watch the Christmas Tree

lighting ceremony, an annual event open to all at the Elite Grande Hotel, which will feature exciting entertainment and gifts for everyone.Elite Grande Hotel

+973 1756 5888; elitegrouphotels.com

Friday, December 11Festive Play (Dubai)

Take the kids for Santa Claus and The Magical Christmas Journey, a story set during Christmas Eve when Santa’s on his way to deliver gifts. See how two elves sneak into his sleigh and save the day.DUCTAC, Mall of Emirates

+971 4341 4777; ductac.etixdubai.com

Friday, December 116:00pm Qatar Drift Championship (Qatar)

Enjoy an evening of smoky action on the race track as you watch the best drifters from the Middle East compete for the Drift King Crown at the Qatar Drift Championship. There will be a dedicated family area with games, exhibitions, and refreshments.Qatar Racing Club, Doha

+974 4450 9357; qrczone.com

Saturday, December 1211:00am Gingerbread House Decoration (Kuwait)

Join in this kid-friendly activity and let your creative juices flow freely as you decorate your own gingerbread house, compete for great prizes, and receive a warm greeting from Santa. Be sure to register in advance.Radisson Blu

+965 2567 3420; radissonblu.com/kuwait

Saturday, December 12Dubai Film Festival (Dubai)

The Dubai International Film Festival, one of the most prestigious events on the Dubai events calendar is currently on till December 16. Watch some splendid entries from Arab Cinema, in addition to those from Hollywood and Bollywood.Madinat Jumeirah

+971 4366 8888; dubaifilmfest.com

AL BATRA BOOKSHOPThis edutainment centre in the Al Wadi

Commercial Centre next to Sabco Centre, has a wide range of books and novels for all. It is open

from 9.30am-1pm and 5.30pm-9.30pm from Saturday to Thursday and 5pm-9.30pm on Fridays.

+968 24563662

07H I W E E K L Y V O L U M E 9 I S S U E 3 4D E C E M B E R 1 1 , 2 0 1 5

Page 8: T11 12 2015

H I W E E K L Y V O L U M E 9 I S S U E 3 4D E C E M B E R 1 1 , 2 0 1 508

Photo

graph

y : M

MG

Where did you escape to this weekend?

Show us on Instagram @hiweekly_oman and tell us about it

on facebook.com/hiweekly

Duqm is known for the development boom around its port, but as a tourist destination, it is a hidden gem waiting to

be discovered. With great accommodations, superb seafood, and unspoiled beaches boasting sapphire waters and pristine, white sand, Duqm

is an ideal weekend hideaway. Story Olga Aymerich

W E E K E N D E S C A P E

BOOM TOWN BEACHES

UNDISCOVERED DUQM

THURSDAY16.00 Leave the office early; you have a trip to start. Grab your weekend bag and start the five hour drive to the new vogue destination for beach lovers: Duqm.

21.00 Check-in at one of the contemporary chalets at the Park Inn by Radisson Hotel and Residence Duqm.

21.30 Snack on the house specialty, mint chicken tikka, and have a natural juice at the Pool lounge before turn-in early for the night.

Page 9: T11 12 2015

H I W E E K L Y V O L U M E 9 I S S U E 3 4D E C E M B E R 1 1 , 2 0 1 5 09

FRIDAY09.00 Enjoy the sapphire waters of Al Shu’ir beach, where you should have loads of privacy in its remote golden sands.

12.00 Eat fresh-caught grilled fish, cooked on the spot by local vendors, along with a refreshing coconut juice.

16.00 Just before sunset, head to Duqm’s Rock Park. The limestone formations created more than 45 mil-lion years ago will make your imagination go wild. Is it a turtle, is it a lion? What else can you spot?

20.00 Go back to the hotel and enjoy Mashuai, whole king fish spiced with cumin, cinnamon, coriander, gin-ger and turmeric at the Ocean Restaurant, which over-looks the sea.

SATURDAY09.00 Start the day with an espresso on your terrace.

10.00 Take a short swim in the pool to relax your mus-cles before hitting the road.

12.00 Drive around the fast-growing Duqm downtown. You will feel its development boom with the new pro-jects seemingly springing up on every corner.

13.00 Wind your way north and enjoy the 500km drive back to Muscat with frequent stops for tea and snacks. —[email protected]

Page 10: T11 12 2015

10 H I W E E K L Y V O L U M E 9 I S S U E 3 4D E C E M B E R 1 1 , 2 0 1 5

A World of SparkleSTORY SHRUTHI NAIR | PHOTOGRAPHY ALI JANI

ROCK STAR CLUTCHCarry the New Power Rock Bag and feel like a red carpet star. Graciously crafted in Comet Argent Light Crystal Rock, it adds a perfect shimmer to your evening look. OMR 200.9

CLASSY CALLMake your Samsung S6 shimmer with the Swan Flower Phonebook Case , embellished with starry Swarovski crystals OMR 11.1

STYLISH SIPSThe Chrystalline Cocktail Glasses, with their crystal-filled stems, are a dramatic option for serving drinks or desserts, and they make stunning showpieces artfully set out in your drawing room, too.OMR 119

TWINKLING CHAINSFishnet link jewelleries have been ‘in’ for a while now and the tube links of the Swarovski Stardust Deluxe Link Necklace shine especially bright thanks to being filled with fine-cut crystals. OMR 60

POSH PENS The Chrystalline lady ballpoint pen and mechanical pencil are filled with the trademark Swarovski crystals giving them an opulent look. This set of writing instruments makes a fantastically classy gift for practical glamazons. OMR 21.7

As Shakespeare said, all that glisters is not gold, but who needs gold when you can add elegant

bling with dazzling crystals? In 1895, Daniel Swarovski, a Bohemian inventor and visionary, moved

to Austria with his newly-invented machine for cutting and polishing crystal jewellery stones and ended up

founding Swarovski and collaborating with leading designers around the world to create premium quality

crystal products. The current collection (available at Aalami, Avenues Mall, +968 2206 0120) includes

everything from fancy clutches to stunning stemware and pretty, iced phone covers. Find Swarovski products at Aalami (Ground Floor, Avenues Mall, Ghubra, +968 2206 0120) the official product retailer in Oman.

Page 11: T11 12 2015
Page 12: T11 12 2015

12 H I W E E K L Y V O L U M E 9 I S S U E 3 4D E C E M B E R 1 1 , 2 0 1 5

Pro Passion:Tennis

STORY T. A. AMEERUDHEEN

PHOTOGRAPHY MMG PHOTOGRAPHERS & SUPPLIED

As Fatma Al Nabhani stepped onto the court clad in a long sleeved

white outfit and fluorescent green sunshade cap for the International Tennis Federa-tion (ITF) tournament in the Indian city of Bengaluru in 2014, a spectator screamed at her from the stands. “An Arab woman tennis player? I can’t believe it.”

Fatma didn’t hear him at the time, but even if she had, she would have let her racket do the talking for her. Over seven days it sprayed

aces into her rivals’ arenas and decimated opponents. She emerged as the second best player of the lot in a very tough competition.

“It is not uncommon to see people raising eyebrows when they see me in action outside the Gulf region. I have been proving skeptics wrong for many years. At times, I feel like I am repre-senting Arab women in the global sporting stage,” says Fatma.

She shoulders the expecta-tions of not only her home country, but an entire region in international competi-tions. However, the burden

of this challenge never makes her nervous. Being a committed professional, she simply continues to fight to live up to the billing. Her resoluteness helped her an-nex 11 international crowns and three runner-up posi-tions in events in Europe and Asia this year alone.

Winning has become a habit for Fatma ever since her first victory in the West Asia Tennis Champion-ship at the age of nine. The achievement gave her a perfect launching pad. Fol-lowing a series of triumphs, she found herself among the World’s top-30 junior play-

ers and even played in four Grand Slam tournaments.

“I am eager to improve my ranking and earn a berth for Rio Olympics next year,” says the star who doesn’t want to rest on her laurels.

Even as she aims for big-ger feats, Fatma feels that absence of a regular coach is a major handicap to her aspirations. “Coach plays an important role in the development of a player. It is very difficult to improve my performance without proper assistance from a reputed coach. I am just surviving with the help of a sparring partner. It is really expensive

WHERE TO PLAYTENNIS IN MUSCAT

Oman Tennis AssociationSultan Qaboos Sports Complex,Bausher +968 2475 1402

Al Hayat Tennis CentreShatti Al Qurum (next to Grand Hyatt) +968 9941 6391

Pro TennisFacilities at Crowne Plaza Hotel, Golden Tulip and Al Ghubra+968 9760 8960

InterContinental HotelShatti Al Qurum+968 2468 0660

Omani tennis sensation Fatma Al Nabhani shares

her love of the game

Page 13: T11 12 2015

13H I W E E K L Y V O L U M E 9 I S S U E 3 4D E C E M B E R 1 1 , 2 0 1 5

to get a coach. I cannot do it on my own.”

Even as she scales new heights in her career, Fatma acts as a catalyst for social change, inspiring girls to seriously pursue sports as a career. Many consider her as the youth icon of Oman and follow her footsteps. She believes Oman has rich talent pool and wants to see more girls to play tennis.

“If you have passion for tennis, don’t hesitate to take it up. Don’t do it for the sake of doing it. The effort should come from your heart.” —[email protected]

OMAN TEAMS INACTION THIS WEEK

The Wave, Muscat and OmanAir eye podium in Sydney

The Wave, Muscat aims to finish the Extreme Sailing Se-ries season on a high at Sydney, which will host the final stage from December 10 to 13. The Wave, Muscat has an 11-point lead at the top of the leaderboard going into Act 8. Their stable mates and rivals Oman Air are deter-mined to take up where they left off in Istanbul and earn a place on the podium. Oman Sail skipper Leigh McMil-lan is bracing himself for an emotional farewell when he attempts to seal a record breaking fifth consecutive win and third series title. The racecourse area will be set on Farm Cove, in front of the iconic Sydney Opera House and thousands of shoreside spectators are expected to turn out to watch the action at the free-to-enter public race village at Mrs Macquaries Point. The village will be open daily from 10am, from December 11 to 13. extreme-sailingseries.com

Ahmad Al Harthy to scorchAbu Dhabi circuit Oman’s top racing driver Ahmad Al Harthy will make his maiden appearance in the prestigious Gulf 12 Hours event in Abu Dhabi on Friday, December 11, marking the Muscat racer’s first competitive outing in the Mid-dle East region under the Oman Racing Team banner. Teaming with vastly experienced Aston Martin ‘works’ drivers Darren Turner and Jonny Adam, the exciting trio will share driving duties at the wheel of an Aston Martin V12 Vantage GT3 in the fifth staging of the big race at Yas Marina Circuit. As well as the Oman Racing Team’s debut outing on Arab soil, this year’s Gulf 12 Hours will also be the first to feature the iconic Aston Martin brand and the whole team – which is backed by Oman Air, Oman Ministry of Sports Affairs, Ooredoo, National Bank of Oman and Al Hashar Group – is relish-ing the prospect of competing at the popular Formula One venue.

Page 14: T11 12 2015

14 H I W E E K L Y V O L U M E 9 I S S U E 3 4D E C E M B E R 1 1 , 2 0 1 5

Lamya Al Mawali, the winner of

Max Factor Makeup Artist of the

Year 2012, has been in the beauty

and makeup industry for nearly

a decade. She feels that morning

makeup looks should never be too

loud, instead they should make

strategic use of minimal makeup

for a polished glow. Lamya showed

me how to get the perfect morning

look that is subtle, fresh, bright

and, most importantly, can be

achieved in 5 minutes.

MINUTE FACESTORY SHRUTHI NAIR

Page 15: T11 12 2015

15H I W E E K L Y V O L U M E 9 I S S U E 3 4D E C E M B E R 1 1 , 2 0 1 5

1 Start by applying a Mac NC 42 foundation (available in Mac Stores throughout Muscat) all over my face. The creamy, matte-finish foundation glides smoothly over the skin and the key to even coverage is to use a beauty blender (basically a makeup sponge) for seamless finish. Since my face is oily she used foundation powder to absorb the oil and set the look.

2 Next, use a Mac concealer to brighten dark circles under the eyes. Follow that up with a banana powder to colour correct the undertones and overtones of the bags under the eyes.

3 Brush a bit of deep dark Mac bronzer and Mac Fleury Power blusher on the cheekbones, forehead, and across the bridge of the nose to give definition.

4 For the eyes, use a neutral eye shadow from her Matt Palette just a bit darker than your natural skintone for the eyelids, a lighter coloured Mary-lou highlighter under the eye-brows, and finish the eyes with some black, lengthening mascara.

5 Complete your look with a slick of lip gloss in a neutral shade.

Mornings are never easy for me. When it comes to choosing between some extra time in my cosy bed or spend time in front of the mirror, I almost aways opt for the former. Thus, each day begins with the struggle

between the blissful necessity of sleep and the need to look fresh and presentable before stepping out to face the world. Inspired by the American television makeover show What Not to Wear in which each episode ends with a makeup artist putting the finishing touch on the makeo-ver with a quick, achievable makeup look that takes five minutes or less, I set out to find an expert of my own. Award-winning Omani makeup artist Lamya Al Mawali came to my rescue, and when she was done with me, what I saw in the mirror was a completely different person. Just kidding. The reflection in the mirror wasn’t a shock-ing transformation, it was just a lively upgrade to my usual straight-out-of-bed face. And, yes, she did it in 5 minutes flat. —[email protected]

If you want to have your makeup done by an expert and learn a new look at the same time, get in touch with Lamya (+968 9667 0547) who is available to give you an elaborate or subtle makeup look to suit your taste for OMR 35 per look.

FIVE STEPS FOR A FRESH 5 MINUTE FACE

Step b

y step

photo

graph

y: Sh

abin

E

Page 16: T11 12 2015

16 H I W E E K L Y V O L U M E 9 I S S U E 3 4D E C E M B E R 1 1 , 2 0 1 5

Will you be dining in or dining out this week?

Share with us your innovatively mouthwatering dishes and their

recipe on facebook.com/hiweekly or tweet us @HiWeekly_Oman

or tag us in your instagram photos @hiweekly_oman

On an unassuming street in suburban Al Khoud, just south of the McDonald’s

roundabout, tucked between the fast-casual restaurant, Mishkak and More, and a juice bar, sits Machmoum Pastry. At this shop, named after the national flower of Tunisia, Jasmine, Salem Khorchani, is introducing the popular takeaway foods of his homeland to Muscat.

Salem moved to the Sultanate seven years ago and has been dreaming of bringing a taste of home to the city ever since. Last year, he and his partner Ayoub Aloufi made it happen, opening the first Tunisian restaurant in Oman where his four Tunisian chefs turn out authentic specialties like mlawi sandwiches, oily wraps filled with eggs and either tuna or meat, hot harissa, and briny olives; fricassé, small rolls filled with boiled eggs, tuna, olives, and hot harissa paste; chapatti (totally unlike the Indian or Omani chapatti, this thick, griddled flatbread is stuffed with tuna or shredded meat); and brik, a deliciously crispy fried pastry stuffed with potato, egg, tangy capers and olives, and sometimes enlivened with spicy harissa and tuna.

Tunisians flock to the shop from around Muscat, Barka, and even Sohar, but it is the local Omanis who make up the majority of his customers. One taste and it is easy to see why. The rich, flavourful snacks are truly a unique offering and are completely addictive. The shop is open from 7:30am until 1:30am to accommodate the breakfast rush, lunch takeaway, and the evening crowd who come and sit at the small tables in front of the café until the early morning. —[email protected]

T U N I S I A NMLAWI

SANDWICHCrispy wraps filled with

eggs and either tuna

or meat, hot harissa,

and briny olives.

OMR 0.800-1.500

STORY FELICIA CAMPBELL | PHOTOGRAPHY ALI JANI

Visit Machmoum Pastry

Al Barakat Street, Seeb +968 9578 3831

Hours: 7:30am-1:30am

Page 17: T11 12 2015

17H I W E E K L Y V O L U M E 9 I S S U E 3 4D E C E M B E R 1 1 , 2 0 1 5

Make your own Tunisian takeaway with this delicious fried pastry. Serve it with extra harissa on the side for those who want some extra kick.

Serves 6

INGREDIENTS• 1 large baking potato, about 10

ounces, peeled and diced• Salt• 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil• Canola or grapeseed oil for frying• 6 sheets of Malsouka (sold in Car-

refour) or spring-roll wrappers• 1 ½ tsp harissa (chilli paste, sold in

fancy food or Middle Eastern shops), optional

• 2 tsp drained capers• 1 tbsp flat-leaf parsley, chopped • 6 medium-size eggs• 1 lemon, cut in 6 wedges

PREPARATION• Place potato in salted water to cover,

bring to a boil and cook until tender. Drain, and mash with olive oil.

• Heat 2 cups of grapeseed or canola oil in deep 10-inch skillet to 350 degrees.

• Place Malsouka sheet on saucer. Place 3 tbsp of mashed potatoes in middle, flattening the centre to make a well. Dab it with 1/4 tsp harissa if desired. Sprinkle with some capers and parsley.

• Break an egg into the centre. Taking care so that none of the egg seeps out, fold over one point of the spring-roll wrapper to meet the opposite point, to make a triangle.

• Gently slip the filled brik off the sau-cer and into the hot oil. Cook a minute or so, until golden on the underside, turn over and cook about another minute. Remove from the oil with a spatula, and drain briefly on absor-bent paper. Prepare the remaining briks, fry them and serve while still hot, with lemon wedges.

TIP• Instead of potato, the contents of

a 6-ounce can of tuna in olive oil, drained and mashed, may be used. Ricotta cheese, small cooked shrimp, lump crab meat or cooked, seasoned finely chopped beef or chicken are other possible fillings.

Recipe adapted from New York Times

TUNISIAN BRIK

N TA K E AWAYBRIK

Fried pastry stuffed

with eggs, tangy

capers, fiery harissa,

potato, and sometimes

tuna or meat.

500-600 baisa

FRICASSÉHearty buns stuffed

with boiled egg, tuna,

olives, and smeared

with spicy harissa.

300-400 baisa

Page 18: T11 12 2015

18 H I W E E K L Y V O L U M E 9 I S S U E 3 4D E C E M B E R 1 1 , 2 0 1 5

SEA SHANTIES & FISHING

SONGS THE TRADITIONAL OMANI BAND

STORY SHRUTHI NAIR

PHOTOGRAPHY SHABIN E

Page 19: T11 12 2015

19H I W E E K L Y V O L U M E 9 I S S U E 3 4D E C E M B E R 1 1 , 2 0 1 5

Oman’s unique musical styles have always been a part of the Sultanate’s rich cultural heritage with over 130 known forms of traditional

songs and dances practised across the country and spread by oral transmis-sion and practical communication rather than written verses or musical notations. Oman’s 1,700km coastline, extending from Yemen in the south to the Musandam mountains in the north, has had a strong impact on the culture and lifestyle of this majestic nation. Oman’s maritime history tells about the brave Omanis who ventured to far-off places like East Africa and West Asia and returned with a diverse set of infl u-ences. This included the drums and mu-sical styles of these nations, which were then amalgamated with local culture for a distinctive Omani musical style that is enjoyed and practised even today. Om-ani music is a strong refl ection of the country’s rich legacy of its deep-rooted culture as well as its historic endeav-ours and it can be broadly classifi ed into four categories: sea shanties and fi sh-ing songs, celebratory music, Bedouin songs, and mountain music.

Each of these four genres have their own peculiarities that are unique to them. While the sea shanties are melo-dious and soothing to the ears, celebra-tory songs are loud and pitchy with a lot of importance given to sounds produced vocally and from string instruments. The distinct sound of the Bedouin mu-sic echoes the tribal infl uences of Oman whereas the traditional mountain mu-sic features rich, fresh baritones that aren’t heard in other regions. Omani musician, Yousef Al Noufali, who hails from the coastal region of Batinah, told me all about the sea shanties and fi shing songs his band specialises in.

Being from the coastal regions of the Batinah governorate, Yousef inherited the gift of melodious sea shanties and fi shing songs from his ancestors. While

performing they more often than not get completely zoned into the magical realm of the musical world. So whenev-er they perform sea shanties and fi shing songs they don a blue Wizar to cover the lower half of their bodies under plain white shirts. Once dressed in the proper attire, they sing haunting songs passed down from generation to generation by ancestors based on their personal ac-counts of sea life, the sailor’s journey, and Oman’s oceanic exploits.

To enhance the lyrical verse, instru-ments are used for rhythm and melody. The ratio of rhythmic instruments to that of melodic instruments is typically 28:7. Thus rhythmic instruments are given more priority, due in part to the fact that rhythm is the basis for move-ment and dance, which are essential components of this cultural art form. These instruments are mostly made of wood, which may be local or from West Asia or East Africa and can be double-skinned, single-skinned or without skin. When it comes to melody, many a times Omanis use their voices instead of me-

lodic instruments. However, some wind and string instruments are also used for added dimension.

Yousef and his band members follow-ing four instruments, the Rahmani, the Kasir, the Kasir Qasir, and the Qirba, three of which are double-skinned rhythmic in-struments, and the Qirba, a wind instru-ment, the sole melodic component.

Go to timesofoman.com/hi for video

For Yousef and his band members, music is not just a hobby or a form of art they practice; it is a way of living for them. Omani music is an essential part in life be it a celebration or a way to pass the time and refl ect on life, past and present. —[email protected]

During the joyous National Day celebrations this year, I happened to be at the Grand Hyatt where a surprise performance by a traditional Omani band suddenly broke out. Even when I got back home I caught myself humming the tunes (well, at least trying to) and watching the video I shot of the performance on my phone again and again. The more I listened to it, the more I wanted to know about the story behind the music, so I got in touch with the Omani band members who agreed to tell me more about their particular style of traditional Omani music.

KASIR

QIRBA

KASIR QASIR

RAHMANI

The Rahmani drum is considered to be one of the most important instruments in Oman, and is a symbol of local music. It plays the role of a rhythmic base, producing a deep, full sound. The Rahmani is played in diff er-ent ways depending on the region, but is historically essential to marine beats, and immensely popular at social events.

The Kasir drum is smaller in size compared to the Rahmani and produces a high-pitched sound. The Rahmani and Kasir share a close relationship and the sound produced from the duo comple-ment each other.

The Qirba, a variation on the Scot-tish bagpipe, was popularised in the 1970s and has now become an integral part of all forms of regional Omani music, though the style of music produced with it is quite distinct from its Scottish origins. The string bagpiper has several pipes that produce a fi xed drone. The player blows air into the pipe where it is stored and from there, is pushed into the melodic pipes so that the sound continues without interruption.

The Kasir Qasir is a shorter drum which is almost half the size of the Kasir. It can be beaten with a stick or using both hands and is always accompa-nied by singing.

Page 20: T11 12 2015

20 H I W E E K L Y V O L U M E 9 I S S U E 3 4D E C E M B E R 1 1 , 2 0 1 5

A VISION IN FULL BLOOM

STORY FELICIA CAMPBELL | PHOTOGRAPHY ALI JANI

ZAHRA SANTOS, THE FIRST FEMALE OMANI DJ, INTRODUCED

THE SULTANATE TO HOUSE MUSIC SEVEN YEARS AGO. SINCE THEN SHE HAS

BEEN WORKING TO DEVELOP THE DANCE MUSIC SCENE AND AFTER YEARS

OF EFFORT, SHE LAUNCHED HER DEBUT EVENT, “THE SECRET GARDEN,”

LAST WEEKEND AT AL BUSTAN.

Page 21: T11 12 2015

21H I W E E K L Y V O L U M E 9 I S S U E 3 4D E C E M B E R 1 1 , 2 0 1 5

usic is a funny thing. Both timeless and ever-evolving, it is something universal-ly beloved, with lyrics that speak to our life experiences, uniting us in shared, private emotions, and, perhaps most mysteriously, wordless beats and melo-dies that subversively stir our passions.

This mysterious power may be why historically there has always been resistance to the introduction of new forms of auditory art, from rock and roll to hip hop. The power of song to affect us deeply, in ways we can feel more than articulate, is undeniable, and like love itself, music once heard is impossible to un-hear or un-feel. It will remain, welcome or not, until it has become a part of the fabric of a place. So goes the evolution of sound from “underground” to “mainstream”.

There is a long tradition of music and dance in Oman, with over a hundred tra-ditional forms from interior tribes, sea-farers, Zanzibaris, and mountain people, not to mention the world-class perfor-

mances that take place at the Royal Op-era House. And while classical sounds and movements are well represented, when it comes to the soundtracks that accompany our celebrations, you would be hard pressed to find anything from the global dance music scene beyond hip hop and Arabic party songs.

Such was the music scene that Zahra Santos left behind when she departed Muscat to study graphic design at uni-versity in Australia where she discov-ered another form of creative expres-sion, DJing.

Her classmates introduced her to House, a form of electronic music characterised by strong, rhythmic drum beats and synthesizers, which origi-nated in the United States in the 1980s, becoming a global phenomenon by the early 1990s. The form evolved in the 1990s and 2000s, incorporating popular music with the electro-baselines and mashing them together in a technique known as “sampling”.

“Learning to DJ is a process, you have to learn the tracks, and then you have to develop your own style. That’s the challenge. I could watch what my friends were doing to learn the technical side of things, but then it was up to me to develop my own signature,” Zahra explained.

Immersing herself in music as she finished her degree, she did just that, and when she returned to Muscat, she brought with her a new sound and a new concept: entertainment for hire. Many companies were not accustomed to paying for the musical curation of their events, but thanks to her unique musical offerings and steadfastness in the value of this form of entertainment, the appre-ciation of skilled DJs began to increase.

“I was the first female DJ in Oman, now there are six of us,” said Zahra, who is half Omani, half American. Her family was supportive of her art, and the other women’s families have been as well.

“There was a really talented young

M

Page 22: T11 12 2015

22 H I W E E K L Y V O L U M E 9 I S S U E 3 4D E C E M B E R 1 1 , 2 0 1 5

Omani guy, but his family is quite conserva-tive, so he was hiding his DJing from them. Eventually he decided to tell them, and now they have accepted it and are supportive too. There is sometimes a misconception that being a DJ means you are out doing the wrong things, but really, it is all about the love of the music.”

Over the last seven years, Zahra has been honing her skills, not only as a musician, but as a performance artist and in the production of musical events, from stage and lighting setup and breakdown to crafting boxes for 3D mapping and other décor.

“I like to be really hands-on,” she laughed. Beyond event management, her greatest ac-complishment has been in uniting other DJs and aspiring DJs with her agency, Prismatic DJs, which provides both a creatively inspir-ing community as well as a business structure within which they can help each other further the dance music scene in the Sultanate.

Though Zahra is the only full-time employ-ee of the agency, she said that everyone plays a vital role, contributing with their strengths from accounting to artwork as members of a truly collaborative team.

In addition to booking events and working on building a studio, Zahra (formerly known as DJ Z, now known as Um Ailana), is the house DJ for Al Bustan Palace where she per-forms every Friday at Beach Pavilion. And last Friday, she achieved yet another milestone for her own creative endeavours and for the Mus-cat music scene at large with the launch of her debut house event, The Secret Garden, at the Al Bustan Palace Lawn that featured eight DJs including herself, Harmallea, Phonetic Mood, William Bruce, Nasir, Faizan, Zandi, and Zam.

Page 23: T11 12 2015

23H I W E E K L Y V O L U M E 9 I S S U E 3 4D E C E M B E R 1 1 , 2 0 1 5

THERE IS SOMETIMES A MISCONCEPTION THAT BEING A DJ MEANS YOU ARE OUT DOING THE WRONG THINGS, BUT REALLY, IT IS ALL ABOUT THE LOVE OF MUSIC

Page 24: T11 12 2015

24 H I W E E K L Y V O L U M E 9 I S S U E 3 4D E C E M B E R 1 1 , 2 0 1 5

STAY IN THE KNOW

To book a DJ, learn more about becoming a DJ, and to

stay abreast of upcoming techno events, get in touch with

Prismatic DJs:+968 9412 7007

[email protected]/prismaticdjs

Instagram@prismaticdjsSnap: prismaticdjs

mixcloud: mixcloud.com/prismaticdjs

For more information about Flow Ground hula hooping and poi in Dubai, check them out at

facebook.com/flowground

Page 25: T11 12 2015

25H I W E E K L Y V O L U M E 9 I S S U E 3 4D E C E M B E R 1 1 , 2 0 1 5

I arrived at the Al Bustan lawn early, before the sun had set over the crashing waves on the adjacent beach and watched as the space transformed in the darkness. The lights of glowing dreamcatchers swayed in the surrounding palms and the faces of the attendees, some in fantastic face paint, others sporting more subdued looks, were intermittently illuminated by the rotating spotlights. Initially, the crowd swayed happily in small clusters, enjoying the familiar sounds of pop songs and 1980s hits that had been remixed to the beat of modern electro.

As the crowd grew, people began slowly moving towards the dance floor to join the LED hula-hoopers and poi performers from Dubai-based Flow Ground who were already feeling the rhythms. By the last set, both those of us less familiar with the house music “scene” and those whose passions were clearly long-standing, were moving together under the pulsing lights.

“Over the years I have watched Oman’s music scene change. When I left there was no Hi FM, but things are changing. Every month there seems to be new aspiring DJs coming out. As house music becomes mainstream, I hope to introduce other forms like deep house or tech house along with things like poi (a form of dance that uses swinging, LED-lit weights to create geometric shapes to the rhythm of the music). There is a good community of poi and hula hoop dancers in Dubai at Flow-ground, so if there is enough interest, I’d love to bring them here again. And if this event goes well, I would like to create more events like it on a regular basis.”

As someone who loves music, but not the club scene, I for one hope that this will be the first of many more of Zahra’s Prismatic events; events where we can enjoy new inspiration from an eclectic community of Muscat DJs, where we can be introduced to new sounds to see how they might move us. —[email protected]

Page 26: T11 12 2015

26 H I W E E K L Y V O L U M E 9 I S S U E 3 4D E C E M B E R 1 1 , 2 0 1 5

Al Bustan – Muttrah – Shatti – 20kmLooking for action within the city? Ride through the splendid boulevards of Al Bustan and ancient Sidab, basking in the beauty of the palm-fi lled, seaside villages before travelling through the heart of old Muttrah city to wind around the big roundabout facing the majestic Al Alam Palace and continu-ing along the coast to the picturesque Muttrah Corniche, undoubtedly the most beautiful and relaxing spot in the city. From there take the fl owing Qurum Heights road north to the bustle of Shatti Street — a gathering point for riding groups in Muscat. Flaunt your ride outside of the plush cafes and enjoy an alfresco coff ee or two to unwind after this low-key, relaxing ride.

Bidbid – 53kmRide to this rustic old village located on the route to Nizwa, for a not-too-long, not-too-short day-ride. Take the exit for Nizwa from the Muscat Expressway and ride straight for about 30km to reach Bidbid.

The major, and perhaps the only, attraction is the Bidbid Fort. One of the prettiest small castles in the country, it is a rustic little structure built with mudbrick walls on a stone base. You can also choose to make a stop at the hilltop village of Fanja, while on the way.

Nizwa Fort

MUSCAT

Nizwa – 140kmA rejuvenating ride along the fast and easy Highway 15, which is now a dual-carriageway for the entire stretch, this road winds through a gap between the towering uplands of the Jebel Akhdar on one side and the more modest peaks of the eastern Hajar on the other, the ranges peppered with an extraordinary sur-feit of forts, watchtowers, and fortified settlements.

A fi ne drive up into the mountains, or an even more exhilarating downward swoop when descending from Nizwa towards the coast, the route also includes optional stops like the walled town of Izki, and the oasis-fi lled val-ley and massed fortifi cations of Sumail, off ering reward-ing diversions from the main road up into the hills.

Page 27: T11 12 2015

27H I W E E K L Y V O L U M E 9 I S S U E 3 4D E C E M B E R 1 1 , 2 0 1 5

STORY FAISAL MOHAMMED NAIMILLUSTRATION GERI B

Let the Good Times RollThe riding season is offi cially here. With the weather getting cooler, now is the perfect time to set out cruising on a road trip for the pure pleasure of the jour-ney. Whether you want to heed the call of the road for an hour or a day, these fi ve cool stretches in and around Muscat off er idyllic routes to wander. —[email protected]

Sur Expressway – 200kmCross Al Amerat and you are set on one long, straight, and mostly empty stretch with the Arabian Gulf on one side and the mesmerisingly rugged summits of the Eastern Hajar mountains on the other, so just shift and forget. Ride nice and slow or twitch it a bit.

If you want to enjoy the isolated stretch, but don’t want to make the full two-and-a-half hour journey, head to Wadi Dayqah Dam or the lush village of Quriyat, just 50km from Muscat on the same route.

Attractions en route include an interesting blend of the historical and the natural, including the old fort of Quriyat and the ruined city of Qalhat, along with Wadi Shab and Wadi Tiwi, two of Oman’s most scenic wadis. Sur itself is the historic centre of Oman’s famous ship-building industry, and is still one of the prettiest towns in the south (with great seafood). And a bit farther south you’ll fi nd the turtle reserve at Ras Al Jinz.

Jebel Sifah – 40kmA short, but fun-fi lled ride with plenty of bends and turns, the road to Jebel Sifah is a great option if twisty unwinding paths lure you. Get your fi ll of ups and downs on this stretch, while soaking in the breathtaking views of the beaches and mangroves of Bandar Al Khairan. A few of the corners are blind, but there are no dangerous surprises. Do watch out for sudden speed bumps closer to the villages, which seem to come out of nowhere. If you feel like a longer trek, continue on a bit away, to the very beautiful and calming Yiti beach.

Page 28: T11 12 2015

28 H I W E E K L Y V O L U M E 9 I S S U E 3 4D E C E M B E R 1 1 , 2 0 1 5

IN FOCUSDO YOU WANT TO BE IN FOCUS?

SHARE YOUR PICTURES WITH US ON FACEBOOK.COM/HIWEEKLY

Jamia Event 95th Jamia Millia Islamia Foundation Day Celebration held at Indian Embassy Chancellery Auditorium.

Page 29: T11 12 2015

Diabetic Walkathon Diabetic Walkathon organised by the Ministry of Health, Oman Diabetic Association with the support of Landmark Group held in Qurum Natural Park.

29H I W E E K L Y V O L U M E 9 I S S U E 3 4D E C E M B E R 1 1 , 2 0 1 5

Page 30: T11 12 2015

Friendi Mobile Challenger Cup The finals and the prize distribution ceremony of the Friendi Mobile Challenger Cup, held at Ghubra Power Plant Ground recently.

30 H I W E E K L Y V O L U M E 9 I S S U E 3 4D E C E M B E R 1 1 , 2 0 1 5

Page 31: T11 12 2015
Page 32: T11 12 2015