t2 b2 10-14-03 hearing- intelligence background 2 of 3 fdr- tab 4- power point- intelligence...

Upload: 911-document-archive

Post on 30-May-2018

Category:

Documents

0 download

TRANSCRIPT

• 8/14/2019 T2 B2 10-14-03 Hearing- Intelligence Background 2 of 3 Fdr- Tab 4- Power Point- Intelligence Transformation Act 908

1/13

Intelligence Transformation Act

Comprehensive ReformAddressing Lessons Learned

• 8/14/2019 T2 B2 10-14-03 Hearing- Intelligence Background 2 of 3 Fdr- Tab 4- Power Point- Intelligence Transformation Act 908

2/13

Need for Reform

DCI spends majority of his time managing CIA- His "two constituencies are the President and the 17,000 people whowork at CIA"*- Little attention given to intelligence comm unity issues- Rarely opposes CIA in intelligence com mu nity disputes

Information sharing is still the exception rather than the rule CIA, NSA, NGA pursue independent collection & analysis strategies The war on terrorism requires intelligence integration from tactical to strategic to the local domestic

- Must be able to integrate across intelligence organizations andbetter leverage DOD tactical capabilities andfederal and local law enforcement information

DCI's staff and the USD(I)'s staff often compete and negate each otherIntelligence comm unity is "Balkanized" - allegiance is to home agency not 1C

* Bob Woodward : "Plan of Attack"

3/13

Intelligence Transformation ActGuiding Principles

Separate the director of the intelligence com mu nity from CIA, wh ile strengthening thedirector's ability to direct the entire intelligence communityNational Security threats require all intelligence assets to work together

- Some shared power between DCI and Secretary of Defense necessary and inevitable- Separating "national agencies" from DODwill result in a diminished N FIP andwill inhibit- >cruciajjntegration of NFIP, TIARA, and JMIP

m * ""

Ad dress systemic information sharing issuesCreate a "joint" intelligence culture - learn from Goldwater N ichols /M odern inform ation technology and business processes can enable information sharing,dynam ic tasking, and mission-based "virtual" organizationsPreserve strengths of diverse analytic organizations

4/13

Off ice of theDirector of National Intelligence

_ Director ofNational Intelligence

DSpirty DirectorJof National Intelligence/

Deputy Director of National Intelligencefor OperationsDDNI/O

BeputypirecttrofNationalBitell igence

Assistant-Director of: National Intelligence for

Senior A dvisor fo r

Chairman of theNational Intelligence Council

5/13

Intelligence Transformation Act

- : < C I A T a1 1 '"? "-j ,SlAorganization

SecStateI

SecHSI

FB I Director1Intel

Energy Secretary

S < ;c. of Treasuryi

DM

>

^

-. *

': "

,s-

s

Day-to-day taskingExisting relationshipOrganize, train, equip

D e p a r t m e n tofBefensei ' '-.,"

-ft

; :

SJEC P1F"'!. s . . ; S ,'"""> V

j* V > * ^ ^ s '"^

: - ,':|sr-y NSA Ta sWng Director" 1N$^e>

i - JIT a r a i z j

***>'/ ' '*\', ( "' T '

ition - - ,r , - - - . - - " - " ' - ' - " * '" ' , > W

T 3 N K 5 A TasMBK-Oirectoi

J K~ J' IM'f fftl*"it. lfl(*ui Jt.FffS %IUJ. PP >WW* ^ 4 > < * ^ -x ^ *' N * " * *

^'"" rf" ?''%*,> Z. '' ' '":---3> * * * ^* ' ^^.^,^'^VfAr, ' w - - i

'S V. i > - < . " V, > ,^ n ~ . - .v: *^ . ;,, , . s *^* -, ' x p-'. "" "' . ^ w '-' *1

-y' -- . .,--a. - >i ; - i r ; : v : _ _ - : - A* - * ~ . - ? ? - " " : , - - - ; ,

4r,sroi

- - -; ^'* 7 ** ' -^,- '"-",''* . . . . .0.;

Artoy id^v> .. - *../ . . . . ! > . ; . '.rs.H *

, T1%^ ~ - y &

8$&$t*k&

jj J t f ^ . ^ ^4 n ^~ t ;' *

'!fC

.!i-8M an' * ? ,^l- 4 s ^ ***S1**^mr0TOe . .., y^,%.:;' - - V, ,

-f* 1 ' *- * < 1 " " "r^ ^* * ? *

, ':

6/13

Director of National IntelligenceFocused on Intelligence Community Priorities

Separate Director of Central Intelligence Agency (D/CIA)All existing DCI authorities, plus:

- Daily tasking of collection, analysis, anddissemination with integrated HUMINT,SIGINT, and IMINT tasking strategies

- Authority to create mission-based intelligence com mu nity centers- Strengthened budg etary control- Greater role in selection of Intelligence Community Leadership- Enhanced acquisition oversight- Authority to establish SCIreciprocity across federal government- Sole authority for standards, policies, &procedures on access to information

7/13

Deputy Director of National Intelligence

Deputy Director of National Intelligence also serves as Under Secretary of Defense forIntelligence

- Adds Secretary of Defense "management, direction, and control" authorities to those of the DNI- Shifts relationship from competitive to cooperative - integrated power sharing

M itigate ruinous conflict between the DCI and USD(I) staffs Avoid conflicting direction from D CI and USD (I)

- Enables the integration ofnational andtactical intelligence budgets, systems, and organizations

8/13

Deputy D irector of National Intelligence for O perationsStrengthening DNI Tasking Authority

Deputy Director of National Intelligence for Operations (DDNI/O) responsible for dailyintelligence taskingDDNI/O's Joint Tasking Organization

- Develops coordinated collection, analysis, &dissemination strategies across the intelligence disciplines- Daily tasking ofnational collection, analysis, & dissemination

Through NSA, CIA, and NG A tasking directors, who report to the DD NI/O Other NFIP collection an d analysis organizations

- Establishes tipping & cueing mechanisms across 1CAssistant Director of National Intelligence fo r Defense (ADNI/D) reports to the DDNI/O

- General/flag officer selected by Secretary ofDefense from a combatant command- Advisory tasking ofDODintelligence, surveillance, andreconnaissance (ISR) assets- Coordinates DOD ISR tasking with national tasking - coordinated intelligence campaign planning- Represents defense intelligence n eeds

DDNI/O authorized to establish mission based intelligence centers as required

9/13

Deputy Director of National Intelligence for ResourcesStrengthening D N I Budgetary Controls

Establishes a Deputy Director of National Intelligence for Resources- AllNFIP organizations required toprovide budget execution data

Establishes a Joint Intelligence Comptroller within the Office of the Under Secretary of Defense(Comptroller)

- Director jointly selected by the DNI and the Secretary of Defense- Staffed with DOD comptroller and DNI personnel- Provides DNI and Secretary of Defense unfettered access toNFIP budget exec ution data- Provides S ecretary ofDefen se access to JMIP andTIARA

DNI authority to transfer NFIP funds across federal departments- Affected secretary can submit a written objection to thePresident

10/13

Eliminates Information Sharing Barriers

Establishes an integrated intelligence communications network - connecting the intelligencecommunity to:- Databases- Collection sources - national, tactical, and domestic- Customers

DNI solely responsible for classification, access, and release guidelines- Elimina tes national agency control ofintelligence- Move from a "need toknow" culture to a "need to share" culture

DNI solely responsible for SCI security clearance processes with complete SCI reciprocity- Enable free flow ofpeople across federal government

N ational agency d irectors responsible for privacy protection com pliance results in limited accessto data - bill would m ake the DNI solely responsible forprivacy protection comp liance

- Uniform privacy procedures and training

11/13

12/13

9-11 Commission Findings/HR4104 Provisions

"Vision of central coordination has not been realized", "Who is in charge of intelligence"- Establishes a DNI separate from the CIA with management and adm inistrative tools to run the 1C

"Management of collection efforts is critical"- Establishes the Deputy Director of National Intelligence for Operations (DDN1/O) & Joint Tasking Office-

C ollection strategies and daily tasking"1C did not have a financial accounting system"

- Establish a Deputy Director of Nationa l Intelligence forResources (DDNI/R) with access to NFEP expenditure data"Develop a management strategy .... detail the proposed expenditures and organizational changesrequired"

- Use information from DDNI/O andDDNI/R to develop management strategies"The Community lacked a common information architecture to ensure the integration of CT data"

- Establishes an integrated intelligence communications network andcommon analytic environment to enableinformation sharing and collaboration

13/13

9-11 Commission Findings/HR4104 Provisions(Continued)

"Community of loosely associated agencies and departmental offices that lacked theincentives to cooperate, collaborate, and share inform ation- Establishes joint intelligence specialty andmand ates joint assignments foradvancement- Changes security clearance and access proced ures to move 1C from a "need to know" to a

"need to share" culture- DDN I/O authorized to establish IC-wide communities of interest with access to all intelligence