t2 b22 working drafts of document requests 2 of 2 fdr- 6-19-03 draft of dci document request-...

Upload: 911-document-archive

Post on 30-May-2018

Category:

Documents

0 download

TRANSCRIPT

• 8/14/2019 T2 B22 Working Drafts of Document Requests 2 of 2 Fdr- 6-19-03 Draft of DCI Document Request- Handwritten Notes for Insert- And Withdrawal Notice 5703- 34 Pg- For 6-19-

1/9

W I T H D R A W A L N O T I C ERG: 148Box: 00008 Folder: 0022 Document: 2Series: Team 2 FilesCopies: 4 Pages: 34

ACCESS RESTRICTEDThe item identified below has been withdrawn from this file:

Folder Title: Working Draft of Doc. Requests [2 of 2]Document Date: 06-19-2003Document Type: DraftSpecial Media:From:To:

Subject: Draft of DCI document request

In the review of this file this item was removed because access to it isrestricted. Restrictions on records in the National Archives are stated ingeneral and specific record group restriction statements which are availablefor examination.

NND: 361Withdrawn: 11-12-2008 by

• 8/14/2019 T2 B22 Working Drafts of Document Requests 2 of 2 Fdr- 6-19-03 Draft of DCI Document Request- Handwritten Notes for Insert- And Withdrawal Notice 5703- 34 Pg- For 6-19-

2/9

EOF Document Request No.

The National Commission on Terrorist Attacks Upon the United States (the"Comm ission") requests that the Executive Office of the President (the "respondent")provide the Commission with the following documents (and their drafting/routing slips)an d information no later than , 2003 (the "production date"):President of the United States1. All presidential decisions or directives related to counter terrorism, management of theIntelligence Community, Usama bin Ladin ("UBL"), senior members of Al-Qa'ida,Al-Qa'ida itself, Sudan, or the Taliban, from January 1, 1990 to September 20, 2001,including, but not limited to:a) Presidential Decision Directives ("PDD") 35, 62, and 63;b) Natio nal Security Presidential Decisions ("NSPD") 1-8 of 2001;c) Docum ents related to the drafting of NSPD-9, as drafted by September 10, 2001;d) Other NSPDs related to counter terrorism, Al Qa'ida, the Taliban, and/or seniorAl Qa'ida leaders including UBL, from the period January 1, 2001 to the present,including but not limited to NSPD 26; ande) Tasking requesting the drafting of NSPD 5.In this context, the phrase presidential decisions or directives refers to PDDs, NSPD's orany other term describing a decision issued by the President for action.2. Any other instructions, or taskings from the President of the United States

("POTUS") to his National Security Advisor or other Principals regarding counterterrorism, management of the Intelligence Community, UBL, Al-Qa'ida, the Talibanor Sudan, from January 1 , 1990 to September 20 , 2001.3. Any and all written comm unications, questions, or other guidance, includ ing written

marginalia and other notes (including notes of spoken questions, instructions orguidance), that NSC staff received from POTUS or the Vice President of the UnitedStates ("VPOTUS") reacting to having read particular excerpts in the President'sDaily Brief relating to UBL, Al-Qa'ida, the Taliban or terrorists in Afghanistan, fromJanuary 1 , 1998 through September 20, 2001. Same for UBL and Al-Qa'ida in Sudan

3/9

5. The annual recertification of covert action program s prepared by the NSC and signedby the POTUS, from January 1, 1998 to September 20, 2001.6. Any National Command Authority ("NCA") orders issued by the POTUS to theSecretary of Defense for DOD regarding UBL, Al-Qa'ida, the Taliban, Afg han istan,

from January 1, 1993 to September 20, 2001.7. Any and all OMB surveys or reviews of funding levels fo r counter terrorism, FY1993-2003, including funding levels requested by CIA, DOD, DOJ, DOS and theWhite House.8. POTU S speeches or public statements that, either in who le or in part, addressedterrorism, counter terrorism, UB L, Al-Qa'ida, or policy toward terrorists inAfghanistan, Indonesia, the Philippines, Saudi Arabia, Sudan or Yemen, from January

1, 1993 throug h September 10, 2001.9. All reports by the President's Foreign Intelligence Advisory Board ("PFIAB") or theIntelligence O versight Board related to:a) The manag emen t of the Intelligence Co mm unity;b) The organization and structure of the Intelligence Com mun ity;

c) The effectiveness of human source intelligence, signals intelligence, and theexecution of covert action findings; andd) The interagenc y process fo r formulating intelligence policy.10 . All HOP or NSC documents containing strategy or policy guidance in analyzing,

tracking, or disrupting the financin g of terrorist activities or the m ovem ent of moneyin support of terrorist o perations or groups, from January 1, 1998 to September 20,2001, and those policies now in force.Principals and Deputies1. A list of the dates of all Principals and D eputies Co mm ittee meetings related to

1) UBL, Al-Qa'ida, the Taliban or Sudan, or 2) intelligence priorities, management,or resources, from January 1, 1990 to September 20, 2001. Principals meetingsinclude any such meeting, whether chaired by the POTUS or by the N ational SecurityAdviser. This request applies to Principals or Deputies level m eetings addressingthese topics wholly or in part, regardless of the title used for the group or whether themeeting was conducted in person or by Secure Video Teleconference System

4/9

5/9

c)

d)

Discussions on the fol lowing events:i) The February 26 , 1993 attack on the World Trade Center , inc lud ing responses

considered , dec is ions made , and ac t ions taken ;ii ) Iraq's June 1993 at tempt to assassinate former President Bush and the June26, 1993 strike on I raq, inc lud ing responses cons i de r ed , decisions made, andactions taken;iii) The Ap r i l 19, 1995 bombing in Oklahoma City, i n c lu d in g consid era t ions of

possible fore ign te rror i s t involv em ent , responses considered, decisions madeand actions taken;iv ) The J u n e 25, 1995 attack on Khobar Towers, i n c l u d i n g responses considered ,

decisions made and actions taken;v) The February 1998 fa twa by UBL, "Jihad against Jews and Crusaders,"inc lud ing responses considered , dec is ions mad e and actions taken;NSC, CSG, or Office of Transnat ional Threa ts ("TNT") responses to or

discussions on the fo l l owi ng even ts or activi t ies:i) The Augus t 7, 1998 East A fr ica bom bings , inc lud ing d i scuss ions of options

fo r response and evalua t ions of the A u g u s t 20 , 1998 strikes on Afghani s t ana n d S u d a n ;ii ) The October 12, 2000 attack on the U.S.S. Cole, i n c lu d in g discussions ofopt ions for response and evalua t ions of which group m igh t have beenresponsible;i i i) The planned "M i l lennium Plot ," inc lud ing opt ions papers , s t rategy papers ,recommendat ions , and other documents , f rom January 1, 1998 to September

20,2001;iv ) Terrorist threats, includ ing option s papers, strategy papers, recommendat ions ,and other documents , dur ing th e spring and s u m m e r of 2001;v) A t t e m p t s to target U B L o r other senior A l Qa' ida leaders , inc lud ing suggestedcruise miss i le str ikes, f rom January ] . 1998 tn September 7.0 9.001 VI

9/11 Classified Information

vi i )The use of Preda tor d rones in A fghani s t an , i nc l ud i ng op t i ons papers, strategypapers , recomm endat ions , and other docum ents , from January 1, 1998 toSeptember 20, 2001;v i i i )P rov id ing add i tional support to the Northern A l l iance , inc lud ing opt ionspapers, strategy papers, recommend a t i ons , and other documents , f rom January1, 1998 to September 20 , 2001; an d

ix ) Discussions w i th th e Sudanese government regard ing UBL or Al-Qa ' i da ,i n c lu d in g but not l imited to, the expuls ion/ext rad i t ion of UB L and the shar ing

6/9

j Briefings, options papers, and other documents related to counter terrorism,management of the Intelligence Com mun ity, UBL , Al-Qa'ida or the Taliban preparedby NSC officers fo r incoming officials and staff of the Bush administration, fromDecember 13, 2000 to September 11, 2001.The 2001 interagency review of policy on Al-Qa'ida, including discussions of use ofPredator, a rming of the Uzbek s or other proxy forces to fight Al-Qa'ida, and increasedsupport fo r Northern A lliance, as well as other policies considered an d their costs andbenefits.All documents associated with the September 4, 2001 Principals Committee meetingon Al-Qa'ida.8;

0 9s All records of NSC, principals, deputies, and war cabinet meetings, from September' 11 to 20, 2001.

l#TSpeechwriters' and Communications Office notes related to the drafting of the' President and Vice President's remarks on terrorism, from September 1 1 to 20, 2001.The Commission requests that the documents requested above be provided as soon asthey are available, even though all requested docum ents may not be provided at the sametime, through means of a "rolling" production.If an y requested documents are withheld from produc tion, even temporarily, based on analleged claim of privilege or for any other reason, the C omm ission requests that therespondent, as soon as possible and in no event later than the production date, identifyand describe each such document or class of documents, as well as the alleged basis forno t producing it, with sufficient specificity to allow a meaningful challenge to any suchwithholding.If the respondent does not have possession, c ustody or control of any requesteddocuments but has information about where such documents may be located, theCommission requests that the respondent provide such information as soon as possiblean d in no event later than the produc tion da te.If the respondent has any questions or concerns about the interpretation or scope of thesedocument requests, the Commission requests that an y such questions or concerns beraised with the Commission as soon as possible so that any such issues can be addressed

7/9

8/9

9/9