t20 presentation 2 a

HAYLING ISLAND GROUP - GENERAL ELECTION TOP 20 QUESTIONS Day 2 – Answers to the next four questions: 5. If public service provision is always better, why is that true of the NHS, but not other parts of the economy, where nationalised industries (e.g. British Rail, British Leyland) have been manifestly inefficient and often provided poor customer service? 6. It is a matter of public record that the UK now employs more people than at any time in its history. It is also a matter of public record that a greater proportion of those employees work in the private sector, as opposed to the government financed public sector, than has been recorded since records began around 15 years ago (Ref ONS). Given the crisis in the public finances, do you see this as a positive trend that should be continued or do they feel that more people should be employed by the government? If you would like to see more public sector workers, how do you think they should be paid for and by whom? 7. Following the Scottish referendum, the transfer of more powers of government to Holyrood and the likelihood of a large contingent of SNP MPs in Westminster after the election, how do you believe the

Upload: hayling-island

Post on 06-Aug-2015

Category:

News & Politics

3 download

TRANSCRIPT

Page 1: T20 presentation 2 a

HAYLING ISLAND GROUP - GENERAL ELECTION TOP 20 QUESTIONS

Day 2 – Answers to the next four questions:5. If public service provision is always better, why is that true of the NHS, but not other parts of the economy, where nationalised industries (e.g. British Rail, British Leyland) have been manifestly inefficient and often provided poor customer service?

6. It is a matter of public record that the UK now employs more people than at any time in its history. It is also a matter of public record that a greater proportion of those employees work in the private sector, as opposed to the government financed public sector, than has been recorded since records began around 15 years ago (Ref ONS). Given the crisis in the public finances, do you see this as a positive trend that should be continued or do they feel that more people should be employed by the government? If you would like to see more public sector workers, how do you think they should be paid for and by whom?

7. Following the Scottish referendum, the transfer of more powers of government to Holyrood and the likelihood of a large contingent of SNP MPs in Westminster after the election, how do you believe the UK constitution should be amended, if at all?

8. How do you plan to approach first time voters to ensure they appreciate and vote on the big important issues rather than short term, personal areas of dissatisfaction?

Page 2: T20 presentation 2 a

Alan MakConservative Party

5. If public service provision is always better, why is that true of the NHS, but not other parts of the economy, where nationalised industries (e.g. British Rail, British Leyland) have been manifestly inefficient and often provided poor customer service?

Public provision is not always better, but it is in the case of the NHS because we have a cross-party consensus, strongly shared by the public, that the NHS should be  in public hands and have a public service ethos (i.e. the NHS should be free at the point of use, and care should be provided on the basis of need not ability to pay).

No such cross-party consensus – or public consensus – exists in relation to nationalised industries. The Conservatives are clear that governments are not good at making cars or running  trains  in  the  long-run.  The profit motive  in  these  situations helps  to drive up quality  and  customer  service.  In  contrast,  the  NHS  is  different  because  most  of  the people working it are not motivated by profit, but by a desire to help people.   

Page 3: T20 presentation 2 a

6. It is a matter of public record that the UK now employs more people than at any time in its history. It is also a matter of public record that a greater proportion of those employees work in the private sector, as opposed to the government financed public sector, than has been recorded since records began around 15 years ago (Ref ONS). Given the crisis in the public finances, do you see this as a positive trend that should be continued or do they feel that more people should be employed by the government? If you would like to see more public sector workers, how do you think they should be paid for and by whom? No, the state should be small but smart. For example in the NHS, we have hired 9000 more doctors since 2010, whilst reducing managers by 6000.  

7. Following the Scottish referendum, the transfer of more powers of government to Holyrood and the likelihood of a large contingent of SNP MPs in Westminster after the election, how do you believe the UK constitution should be amended, if at all?Our priority should be English Votes  for English Laws. We will maintain the Westminster Parliament as  the UK and  England’s  law-making  body.  But  we  want  Parliament  to  work  in  a  way  that  ensures  decisions  affecting England can only be taken with the consent of the majority of MPs representing constituencies in England (like Havant), or in England and Wales. We will end the unfairness whereby Scotland is able to decide its own laws in devolved areas, only for Scottish MPs also to be able to have the potentially decisive say on similar matters that affect only England.

8. How do you plan to approach first time voters to ensure they appreciate and vote on the big important issues rather than short term, personal areas of dissatisfaction?I have visited every secondary school in the constituency (plus South Downs and Havant Sixth Form College) to talk to students about the importance of elections and voting. Engaging with young people and first time voters directly is the best way. I  have  also  set  up  the  Havant  Next  Generation  Network  (NGN)  for  young  people,  which  whilst  focusing  on business and careers, also has a  remit  to encourage young people to get  involved  in civic and community  life, including by voting. I also have a growing number of first and second time voters working as volunteers on my campaign and I engage with them directly about the big issues the country faces.    

Page 4: T20 presentation 2 a

Tim DawesGreen Party

PF PowerPoint Presentations

5. If public service provision is always better, why is that true of the NHS, but not other parts of the economy, where nationalised industries (e.g. British Rail, British Leyland) have been manifestly inefficient and often provided poor customer service?

Who ever said it was?  Of course there is a role for private enterprise competing to provide new equipment, drugs etc. top the NHS.  In this area the only alternative is stagnating Stalinism and competition (between suppliers) is a healthy thing that drives efficiency and innovation.  The profit motive and private business has it's place in our society. The thing about more general privatisation in the NHS is that it doesn't just mean that  a  proportion  of  the  tax we  pay  to  fund  the  service  goes  in  profit  and  other  costs  such  as  contract management and tendering,  it also means the only “capitalists”  involved will be the  large corporates. The very  people who have been  cheating us  by  not  even paying  tax  on  the  profits made  from  trading here.   Smaller,  leaner  (and often more  innovative) businesses don't  get  a  look  in  and find  themselves  squeezed out.  Consider  the  Southern Health  (provides mental  health  services  across  IOW, Hants,  Berks  and Bucks) cleaning  contract which was  let  to a  single big  company only  last week. This  contract  replaces a  sensible patch-work  of  provision  that  included  directly  employed  staff,  where  appropriate,  and  lots  of  small companies – all of whom are now shut out.  Public service organisations can be well managed, effective and good for the country. Investment starved British Rail services from Havant to Waterloo actually ran the route in 10 minutes shorter time than the fastest now from the private operator.  The CEGB was a great success in building an energy infrastructure and strategy. And – let's say it – the NHS does a pretty good job, scoring well in general on international comparisons and coming in at around half the cost of health provision in the private USA.          

Page 5: T20 presentation 2 a

6. It is a matter of public record that the UK now employs more people than at any time in its history. It is also a matter of public record that a greater proportion of those employees work in the private sector, as opposed to the government financed public sector, than has been recorded since records began around 15 years ago (Ref ONS). Given the crisis in the public finances, do you see this as a positive trend that should be continued or do they feel that more people should be employed by the government? If you would like to see more public sector workers, how do you think they should be paid for and by whom? This  is  a  non-question.    Whatever  the  employee  of  the  person  driving  the  train  s/he  is  still  paid  for  by  a combination of  taxation  subsidies  and passenger  fares.  I would  like  to  see  fewer people employed by  large  tax-dodging corporations and more by those that have a real stake in what they do and their communities. That might be government or local government, but it also might be employee-owner partnerships (like Waitrose) or mutuals owned by their customers (like Nationwide).  I would also like to see more people working for themselves (another significant trend, is that many more are) and for smaller, locally-based businesses.       7. Following the Scottish referendum, the transfer of more powers of government to Holyrood and the likelihood of a large contingent of SNP MPs in Westminster after the election, how do you believe the UK constitution should be amended, if at all?I would  like  to  live  in a much more  federal and community-empowered country.    I don't  think  that Westminster MPs  from  places  other  than  England  should  vote  on  purely  English  legislation  –  though  I  recognise  that  some apparently “English” matters may have implications for those in other parts of the UK – so defining “purely English” is not straight-forward.  The really big issue is what happens if there is a referendum on EU membership.  Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland will almost certainly vote heavily to stay in.  If England votes to leave (and wins a UK majority or not) the constitutional tensions will be much more immediate and serious. 8. How do you plan to approach first time voters to ensure they appreciate and vote on the big important issues rather than short term, personal areas of dissatisfaction?I don't  think first time voters are any  less politically aware. They certainly  tend  to be significantly  less  tribal and that's a good thing.  I have visited all the local colleges and six forms and have tried to engage with younger voters as much as possible through social media (they tend not to come to hustings or be the person answering the door as  I knock on  them).  In my experience, young people are better at  looking at  long-term  issues and policies  than more older population –  though of  course  that  is  a massive generalisation and  individuals  are all  different. One think I advise people to do is use the independent policy comparison sites – especially “blind-tasting” ones such as https://voteforpolicies.org.uk/   

Page 6: T20 presentation 2 a

Dr Graham GilesLabour Party

The Tories are  relentless  in pursuing a policy of  increased privatisation,  irrespective of  the  impact this could have on the quality, cost or efficiency of public services. It’s an ideological mantra of the right  that  “private  is  always better”  -  don’t  forget  they even wanted  to privatise our  forests until opposition MPs and public outrage forced a U-turn!  In the last century our nationalised industries were sold to  investors  in the name of progress, but privatisation has not proved to be a universal panacea.    An  article  in  last  August’s  Daily  Telegraph  (a  newspaper  that  champions  Conservative privatisation ideology) concluded that “Britain’s railways are renowned for being the most expensive in Europe, possibly the world.” The question needs to be asked - why are our railways so expensive? Privatisation  has  not  led  to  cheaper  season-tickets,  wage  equality,  better  working  conditions  for staff, nor an end to debt, delays and over-crowding.  One of George Osborne’s excuses for a failing economy was “leaves and the wrong kind of snow on the tracks!” The future of our public services has political, economic and social consequences that need to be examined honestly.  It’s wrong to assume that fragmenting public services  is always the most efficient and effective option.   Health, Education, Justice, Defence and Forests are all targets of big-business.  British core services should be not be sold-off to profiteering multi-nationals as they were in USA under the George W. Bush and his former corporate CEO-led administration

Page 7: T20 presentation 2 a

6. It is a matter of public record that the UK now employs more people than at any time in its history. It is also a matter of public record that a greater proportion of those employees work in the private sector, as opposed to the government financed public sector, than has been recorded since records began around 15 years ago (Ref ONS). Given the crisis in the public finances, do you see this as a positive trend that should be continued or do they feel that more people should be employed by the government? If you would like to see more public sector workers, how do you think they should be paid for and by whom? I  am  less  concerned  about  the  relative  split  between  the  number  of  private/public  sector  workers  than  the  conditions  of employment that employees experience.  Punitive zero hours contracts in the private sector are scandalous, they have multiplied in the past 5 years and should stop now.  Thousands of short-term immigrant labourers in Southern England are also known to be victims of exploitation.  Moreover, I believe that only appropriate public services should be privatised. Certain care services that we rely  on  that  should  never  be  owned  for  commercial  gain  as we  need  them  to  be  evidence-based,  driven  by  long-term  public interest not for profit or political vested interests. Private companies of necessity are driven by share-holder dividends over and above national demographic needs or the living wage.  Front line public servants like town-planning, or the police, probation and prisons services should never depend on private sector staff or managers.  I would also fiercely defend an impartial independent BBC from the competitive interests of corporate news organisations like the Murdoch Corporation. It’s reasonable and responsible that public services we all depend on should be funded, governed and staffed from general taxation.    

7. Following the Scottish referendum, the transfer of more powers of government to Holyrood and the likelihood of a large contingent of SNP MPs in Westminster after the election, how do you believe the UK constitution should be amended, if at all?Powers that were once vested in central government have been devolved not only to Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland, but also  to  the Mayor  of  London  and  a  few elected mayors  or  unitary  authorities.  The  coalition  government  is mandating Greater Manchester  (without  a  referendum)  to  become  the  first  English  region  to  get  full  control  of  its  health  budget,  as  part  of  an extension of devolved powers. If committed to maintaining a United Kingdom, we need to have a serious debate about devolved powers throughout our nation. “English votes for English laws” is a good sound-bite but far too simplistic. I would advocate a more visionary approach to the future of 21st Century democratic governance in the UK.  Starting with the House of Lords I would lobby for a fully elected second chamber of Parliament to be responsible for constitutional matters and scrutiny.  My preference would be for a Senate providing equal representation to each of the four British principalities, elected by compulsory voting of all British citizens (this would also make PR a valid reform).  Falling voter turn-out undermines the quality of debate and representation in Britain – compulsory voting as a primary citizenship responsibility would break the dependence forever of traditional king-makers, power-brokers and minority swing voters.   An authentic new Parliamentary  legitimacy would drive  long-overdue reforms to our democratic representative bodies nationally, regionally and locally. 

Page 8: T20 presentation 2 a

8. How do you plan to approach first time voters to ensure they appreciate and vote on the big important issues rather than short term, personal areas of dissatisfaction?

I  consider  that  first  time  voters want  someone  to  believe  in,  something  to  be hopeful  about.    That’s  why  we’ve  branded  our  Labour  message  and  vision  as Hope4Havant.   People are not asking  for  the world,  they’re asking  for a decent standard of living, a good education, a properly funded NHS, an affordable home of  their  own,  a  fairer more  equal  society.    People  I meet  are not  looking  for  a hand-out they’re hoping for a hand up.  Britain can afford this, we’re one of the wealthiest  nations.   We  cannot  afford  to  force  the  cost  of  the  global  financial banking  crisis  onto  our weakest  citizens  through  bed-room  tax  and  zero-hours contracts, or saddle our apprentices and graduates with student debt into middle age.   Austerity  is not working we urgently need  to tip  the economic and social balance in the direction of Hope.The  top  of  our  hope4havant.com  home  page  has  been  encouraging  all constituents  to  register  to  vote  –  up  to  a  million  citizens  especially  first-time-voters  in Britain may be denied a choice on May 7th  if  they have not registered before the election.

Page 9: T20 presentation 2 a

Steve SollittLiberal Democrats

Different areas require a different approach.  In the case of the NHS I believe that remaining in the public sector is the correct option as does  the  Liberal  Democrats.  Personally  I  feel  that  British  Rail  has functioned better since it passed into the private sector although it’s still  important  that  government maintains  some  controls.  They  do this  over  ticket  pricing  controls  and  the  regular  tendering  process although this may now be in need of review 

Page 10: T20 presentation 2 a

6. It is a matter of public record that the UK now employs more people than at any time in its history. It is also a matter of public record that a greater proportion of those employees work in the private sector, as opposed to the government financed public sector, than has been recorded since records began around 15 years ago (Ref ONS). Given the crisis in the public finances, do you see this as a positive trend that should be continued or do they feel that more people should be employed by the government? If you would like to see more public sector workers, how do you think they should be paid for and by whom? There is a clear link between government debt and the number employed in the public sector.  There has been a movement to private sector employment and this is partly due to the policies of the past around the transfer of services from the public to private sector     When there is a fall in the deficit and there is more public money available there may well be a rise in public sector staffing but I firmly believe that this should be affordable and sustainable   It is unacceptable to put staff in either the private or public sector in a situation leading to uncertainty 7. Following the Scottish referendum, the transfer of more powers of government to Holyrood and the likelihood of a large contingent of SNP MPs in Westminster after the election, how do you believe the UK constitution should be amended, if at all?Yes. There should be a change there will only allow English constituency MPs to vote on English related issues.  There  would  clearly  lead  to  issues  if  a  coalition  after  the  election  involved  the  SNP  but  with delegated  responsibility  for  areas  like  the NHS already made  to Scotland and Wales  this would  seem a sensible approach8. How do you plan to approach first time voters to ensure they appreciate and vote on the big important issues rather than short term, personal areas of dissatisfaction?I will be using the record of the Liberal Democrats in Government delivering 75% of our manifesto as part of the Coalition. Some first time voters will feel that a specific policy or area is more important to them and by talking about the impact of that area and how it impacts of the larger picture I would seek to show and explain what can be achieved.  It’s as much about  listening  to  their concerns and then telling  them about the wider issues too

Page 11: T20 presentation 2 a

John PerryUnited Kingdom

Independence Party 

The issue here is poor management; if management are not up to the role, they should be removed; the last two governments have been engaged in wholesale reorganisation of the NHS and these party political changes need to stop as the effect is reduced morale and performance.

6. It is a matter of public record that the UK now employs more people than at any time in its history. It is also a matter of public record that a greater proportion of those employees work in the private sector, as opposed to the government financed public sector, than has been recorded since records began around 15 years ago (Ref ONS). Given the crisis in the public finances, do you see this as a positive trend that should be continued or do they feel that more people should be employed by the government? If you would like to see more public sector workers, how do you think they should be paid for and by whom?

There are 1.8 million people “employed” on zero hour contracts. Also, because of mass immigration (over 620,000 gross per year) an oversupply of unskilled workers is enforcing wage compression making the minimum wage very often the maximum wage.  I would like the public sector reduced and I welcome the growth in the private sector, but it must be with real jobs and opportunities and not with workfare and zero-hours contracts whose numbers are used to increase the numbers in employment.   

Page 12: T20 presentation 2 a

7. Following the Scottish referendum, the transfer of more powers of government to Holyrood and the likelihood of a large contingent of SNP MPs in Westminster after the election, how do you believe the UK constitution should be amended, if at all?

English MPs should vote on English only laws just as Scottish MPs only vote on Scottish laws.  Personally, I was never in favour of devolution, but accepting we have it, we need the Barnett Formula scrapped and funding to Wales and Scotland based on need.

I ask first time voters to look at the record of the previous governments.  Labour doubled the National  Debt  to  £800  billion,  and  the  Conservatives  have  doubled  the  debt  again  over  5 years  to £1.5  trillion  (the Conservative debt  increase being equivalent  to £12,000  for every man,  woman  and  child).    The  Conservatives  pledged  to  cut  immigration  to  1/10,  but increased it. The biggest  issue  is belief  in Britain  - UKIP believes  in a Britain that can write  its own  laws, control its borders and govern itself.  Labour, LibDems and Conservatives believe that many of those activities should be determined in the EU and not Britain.

Page 13: T20 presentation 2 a

That’s it for Day 2The next four questions will

be answered tomorrow

PF PowerPoint Presentations