an informal 9 step guide to: le perfecte product description
Post on 23-Aug-2014
Embed Size (px)
DESCRIPTIONSo you've worked hard building your business and product line. Now all you need is effective product descriptions to sell your products and bring in the bank - a bit tricky to accomplish, but doable with the right research, preparation, creativity and reiteration - and a little bit of help.
- AN INFORMAL 9 STEP GUIDE TO: COPYSHOPPY.COM PRESENTS LE PERFECTE PRODUCT DESCRIPTION
- SO YOUVE SLAVED AWAY BUILDING A BUSINESS AND DEVELOPING PRODUCT LINES.
- YOUVE EVEN CAME UP WITH PRODUCT BRAND NAMES! I SEE THE PAIN IN YOUR EYES.
- GO AHEAD, SMOKE UP. YOUVE EARNED IT.
- OKAY OKAY, BREAKS OVER. NOW WE NEED EFFECTIVE PRODUCT DESCRIPTIONS THAT WILL SELL YOUR PRODUCT. Back to work you
- STEP 1 IDENTIFY YOUR CUSTOMER Bland statements like 20-28 year old males not allowed. Ask yourself, who really is your target customer? What type of mindset do they have? What are their dreams, their desires, their goals? If you dont have the answers to these questions, try reaching out to past customers or friends and family that fit your target customers profile, and informally interview them to get the answers.
- STEP 1 EXAMPLE OF ANSWER CopyShoppys customers consist of entrepreneurs, business owners and marketing managers in search of captivating, catchy and powerful brand names and marketing writing to help grow their business. Their mindset is ambitious and focused, their dreams are to lead successful businesses; their desires in a service that will help achieve that goal is convenience, affordability, timeliness and effectiveness; and their goals are to minimize costs and maximize revenue and sales.
- STEP 2 IDENTIFY YOUR PRODUCTS MAIN BENEFIT TO YOUR CUSTOMER How does my product help my customers achieve their dreams, their desires or their goals (main benefit to customer)? Here you need to think through exactly how your product helps your customers achieve their dreams, needs, desires or objectives.
- STEP 2 EXAMPLE OF ANSWER Hosting a CopyShoppy contest for brand names or marketing writing gives entrepreneurs and business owners an affordable avenue to explore multiple creative options from a diverse range of copywriters, for less than the price of hiring an individual freelancer, via an easy-to- use platform and process that guides them towards the optimal option. Through the powerful brand names and marketing writing acquired through each contest, our customers advance their goals of higher sales and revenue through catchy, relevant and persuasive brand messaging, and thereby further their dreams of business success. Our affordable price point helps them to meet their minimize cost objective, and our contest process, timed contest rounds and quality of business writing talent help them meet their objectives of convenience, timeliness and effectiveness.
- STEP 3 LEARN YOUR CUSTOMERS LANGUAGE SO YOU CAN SPEAK IN IT One of the first things you should do is to think about what language your customers use you need to be able to speak in the language they speak. For example, CopyShoppy has a community of talented copywriters who enter client-launched contests. Copywriters are advertisement, business and marketing writers, however many of our target customers often get the term confused with copyrighting which is a different term that has to do with the legal protection of creative works.
- STEP 3 LEARN YOUR CUSTOMERS LANGUAGE SO YOU CAN SPEAK IN IT As a result, weve replaced the term copywriter with business writer, marketing writer, etc, in most of our opening communication with our website visitors to avoid this confusion, using the term copywriter later in our communications once the visitor understands exactly what our service offers. We came to this realization through customer discussions and trial and error, and via online keyword research.
- STEP 4 CONDUCT KEYWORD RESEARCH In order to know what language your customers speak in, you need to research what words they use when they are searching for your product on search engines like Google. The term copywriting agencies gets 110 monthly searches, while the term advertising agencies gets 6,600 monthly searches. This is an indicator that using the term copywriter in our introductory marketing messaging may not be wise! Keyword research is also important because you need to craft keywords into the product description copy to help your website rank highly on Google for the terms your customers are searching for.
- SMOKE BREAK! BY THE WAY That IS a cigarette, right?
- STEP 5 IDENTIFY WORDS THAT COMMUNICATE YOUR PRODUCTS BENEFITS Words that are sensory, emotional, and descriptive work best. Example words for a product description for a CopyShoppy Product Description Contest: Marketing writers - descriptive Compete descriptive Creative emotional/keyword Catchy emotional/keyword Convert emotional/descriptive Repeat Customers descriptive Product Description descriptive/keyword
- STEP 6 REVIEW PRODUCT DESCRIPTIONS FROM YOUR FAVORITE ONLINE STORES Have you ever bought anything online or through a catalogue? Revisit the product pages of the products youve purchased in the past and investigate their product descriptions. You know they work, because you bought them! Note down the type of words used in the product descriptions for inspiration and to get a feel of the structure.
- STEP 7 WRITE THE PRODUCT DESCRIPTION Once you understand what language your customers speak in, determined which keywords your customers are using to find your product, and have developed a list of words that best communicate your products benefits in your customers language, its time to craft the product description. Remember to keep it short but sweet, using persuasive and clever language, appealing to your target customer's emotional desires and rational goals. Consumer goods products (B2C) should use more of a fun and exciting tone, while business to business (B2B) services should have a more professional tone.
- STEP 7 B2B PRODUCT DESCRIPTION EXAMPLE Heres a product description example for a CopyShoppy Product Description Contest: Our marketing writing community will compete to provide you with a creative and catchy product description that will convert potential customers to repeat customers.
- STEP 7 B2C PRODUCT DESCRIPTION EXAMPLE Heres a product description example for yellow sandals:
- STEP 7 B2C PRODUCT DESCRIPTION EXAMPLE Heres a product description example for an oak barrel:
- STEP 8 LAUNCH A PRODUCT DESCRIPTION CONTEST ON COPYSHOPPY You can launch a Product Description contest on CopyShoppy. Only $149 to launch your contest, and you receive 30+ options from talented marketing writers within 3 days based on your project details. You can then rate, eliminate, select finalists or provide feedback to your marketing writers as you see fit winner of your contest transfers copyright of the winning product description to you in return for the contest prize.
- STEP 9 REITERATE THE PRODUCT DESCRIPTION AND OPTIMIZE FOR CONVERSION Now that you have your product description developed, it's time to upload it to your website or on your promotional materials, and determine how well your product is selling. If your product is converting at a rate of 5% per visitor of your product page, reiterate the product description to try to increase the conversion rate to 7%, and then 10%, and so on until you reach the optimal conversion rate. A/B testing is a great way to accomplish this.
- NOW YOURE ON YOUR WAY TO A PROFITABLE BUSINESS.
- TH E ONLY CONTEST MARKETPLACE FOR BRAN D NAMES, TAGLINES & BUSINESS WRI TING PRESENTED BY COPYSHOPPY.COM
View more >