Category:

Documents

0 download

TRANSCRIPT

• 8/8/2019 t6 Keeping Records Jun

1/2

T6 Justify the need for keeping records and describe the type of record you

would maintain.

Without being able to make records of the various aspects of teaching, I as a tutor would not be

able to make comparative assessments which would indicate progress of learners individually,

as a group and the effectiveness of the communication between teacher and student, as well asstudent and student, without records it would be impossible to keep abreast of which learners

on my course were finding the work too easy or to difficult, I would not be able to have data to

help me revise lesson plans for the benefit of individuals or groups. The use of records are

intrisic to the actions of Presenting, Applying and Reviewing as it is the information from records

collated before during and after sessions which feed into this cycle of analysis and

improvement, Records are required for the satisfaction of awarding bodies, for funding bodies

such as the Learning Skills Council and Ofsted ( who monitor standards in education,) All of

these agencies require personal details of students, attendance and attainment data as well as

the review of completed portfolios to ensure that standards are being met. In addition the

training provider would need this information to carry out its own audits with regard to training

quality and the monitoring of student numbers (and the monetary value attached to each

student) to establish if the running of a course is viable or timetabled to best suit the students it

is designed to serve. The same information would be used by the same parties to ensure that

no fraudulent activities are taking place either by individuals or by the training establishment

itself. I would also use records kept of previous participants in my courses to feedback into my

planning of schemes of work assessing whether key topics fit well enough with the structure of

the semester and if required equipment is available for those who need it, this would eventually

be transposed into the timetable for the courses I would run, which when used in conjunction

with lesson plans would allow others to take lessons if I was not available.

Records that I would use or make during a course that I would teach would initially contain

information on:

Medical requirements (including alleries) and if they would impact on their ability to participate

fully.

Contact details for them and a "Next of Kin" in case of medical emergency, absence or general

communication regarding work or cancelled and revised sessions.

Personal circumstances, to assess if the coures and the provider can meet the need of the

student better, regarding session timings, childcare, access to finances and equipment

as well as being generally aware so individual needs can be accomodated.

Educational backround and experience, what might the students starting point be, do they have

relevent experience and how can it be used to the advantage of the individual and the

group.

Beyond the initilal phase records would be built up on:

Attendance, for safety reasons (fire and liability regarding students being where they are

• 8/8/2019 t6 Keeping Records Jun

2/2

supposed to and not exposed to danger otherwise.) and for the reasons outlined above.

Tutorial records, indicating how learning is progressing on an individual and group level, what

their strengths and weaknesses are and assesing the abiltiy to learn. Also recorded

would be notes on group dynamics and which combinations of individuals work well

together.

Results of assignments, tests and practicals, which would give an indication of student

progress and pointers for the best way to improve performance not only for the

individual student but impacting also on the evaluation of the learning program.

records specific to the use of photographs would include:

The image itself, which is considered a record in certain situations, including news events and

in certain legal situations.

The technical data which is attached electronically to digital pictures, which would allow

analysis of whether students have understood and applied knowlege correctly.

The caption, which will contain information on the subject and circumstances of the picture

including Who? How? Where? Why? and When? without it images, of which an

individual student can amass thousands and a year, become impossible to find.

Model release or parental permission records, which need to be kept in case a students rights

to take or publish a picture are disputed later, these should be copies originals should be

kept by the students who own the copyright to the work.

It goes without saying that all of these records would need to be kept in accordance with the

terms set out in the data protection act and whatever other policy is set out by the trainingprovider.