the hope of the resurrection · the hope of the resurrection luke 24 - april 12, 2020 main idea...
The Hope of the resurrection Luke 24 - April 12, 2020
Jesus’ resurrection from the dead provides peace, hope, and joy in our lives.
Explanation & Discussion
Luke 24 Intro: After Jesus’ brutal and humiliating death, He was laid in a tomb. After the Sabbath had passed, the ladies that followed Jesus, took some spices and ointment to anoint His body. As they arrived, they found the tomb door rolled away and Jesus’ body gone. The angels asked them why they were looking for the “living” among the “dead”. The ladies then told the disciples and they came and saw for themselves. Jesus, alive in His flesh, visited and spoke with many followers after His resurrection, showing them how scripture pointed to His death and resurrection.
1. Peace to You - Luke 24:36-43 Jesus appeared to His Disciples and told them to not fear because He had risen from the dead. He proved that it was really Him by letting them see His wounds, and even sitting down and eating with them. His resurrection from the dead provides peace to all who believe because it dispels all other fears. If Jesus has the power over death and the grave, then nothing else is more powerful.
• What would have been your first thoughts if you saw Jesus a few days after He had died and been buried?
• Do you wish that you could have witnessed Jesus in the flesh after His resurrection? Why or why not?
• Why did Jesus want the disciples to see Him in the flesh? How does this affect the rest of history? • What things about the Lord do you sometimes doubt? Is doubt ok? • What is the best way to go about working through your doubts? At what point do they become
2. Promises Fulfilled - 24:44-49 Jesus then began to teach the disciples how the Law, Prophets, and Psalms were all fulfilled in Him. They all pointed to the Messiah that would come and save the world from their sins. Jesus then opened their minds to understand the Word of God as to how it pointed to Himself. He then explained to them that He had to suffer, die, and be raised from the dead so that the whole world could have the chance to be forgiven of their sins. Jesus emphasized that He provided the way for
all people to be forgiven through their repentance from sin. The resurrection of Christ brings about hope for all people in the forgiveness of their sins.
• What prophecies in the Old Testament can you think of that were fulfilled in Jesus? • Why is it important for these prophecies to be perfectly fulfilled in Jesus? What would be different
if they weren’t fulfilled in Him? • Have you ever prayed for God to open your mind to understand the Scriptures? What does this
teach us about God, us and His word? • Why is the resurrection so important to God’s plan and our salvation? • Why did Jesus emphasize repentance in this proclamation? When you talk about the Gospel, do
you talk about repentance? • How would you describe/illustrate repentance? • What does God’s offer of salvation to all nations and promise of the Holy Spirit teach you about
3. Proper Response - 24:50-53 As Jesus blessed His disciples and ascended into Heaven, they returned to Jerusalem praising and worshipping Jesus with great joy. Joyous worship is the proper response to believing in the resurrection of Christ. It creates lasting joy because it affects all areas of life.
• What does joyous worship look like in your life? In what ways do you need to improve in this? • How would you describe worship? Is it more than just singing? (Romans 12:1-2) • What might it reveal about your heart if you do not have a desire to worship the Lord? • From what you have seen in the book of Acts, how did the disciples worship the Lord with their
1 Corinthians 15:54-58 - When the perishable puts on the imperishable, and the mortal puts on immortality, then shall come to pass the saying that is written: “Death is swallowed up in victory.” 55 “O death, where is your victory? O death, where is your sting?” 56 The sting of death is sin, and the power of sin is the law. 57 But thanks be to God, who gives us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ. 58 Therefore, my beloved brothers, be steadfast, immovable, always abounding in the work of the Lord, knowing that in the Lord your labor is not in vain.
Genesis 23:17-18 - 17 I will surely bless you, and I will surely multiply your offspring as the stars of heaven and as the sand that is on the seashore. And your offspring shall possess the gate of his enemies, 18 and in your offspring shall all the nations of the earth be blessed, because you have obeyed my voice.”
Psalm 119:18 - 18 Open my eyes, that I may behold wondrous things out of your law.
Isaiah 9:6-8 - 6 “For to us a child is born, to us a son is given; and the government shall be upon his shoulder, and his name shall be called Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace. 7 Of the increase of his government and of peace there will be no end, on the throne of David and over his kingdom, to establish it and to uphold it with justice and with righteousness from this time forth and forevermore. The zeal of the Lord of hosts will do this.”
Isaiah 53:1-12 - See Bible
Jeremiah 23:5-6 - 5 “Behold, the days are coming, declares the Lord, when I will raise up for David a righteous Branch, and he shall reign as king and deal wisely, and shall execute justice and righteousness in the land. 6 In his days Judah will be saved, and Israel will dwell securely. And this is the name by which he will be called: ‘The Lord is our righteousness.’
1 John 5:20 - 20 And we know that the Son of God has come and has given us understanding, so that we may know him who is true; and we are in him who is true, in his Son Jesus Christ. He is the true God and eternal life.
Romans 15:13- 13 May the God of hope fi ll you with all joy and peace in believing, so that by the power of the Holy Spirit you may abound in hope.
John 11:25-26 - 25 Jesus said to her, “I am the resurrection and the life. Whoever believes in me, though he die, yet shall he live, 26 and everyone who lives and believes in me shall never die. Do you believe this?”
1 Peter 1:3 - 3 Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ! According to his great mercy, he has caused us to be born again to a living hope through the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead,
Romans 8:11 - 11 If the Spirit of him who raised Jesus from the dead dwells in you, he who raised Christ Jesus from the dead will also give life to your mortal bodies through his Spirit who dwells in you.
Andrew Murray - “A dead Christ I must do everything for; a living Christ does everything for me.”
Timothy Keller - “If Jesus rose from the dead, then you have to accept all that he said; if he didn't rise from the dead, then why worry about any of what he said? The issue on which everything hangs is not whether or not you like his teaching but whether or not he rose from the dead.”
Charles H. Spurgeon - “Upon a life I did not live, upon a death I did not die, I risk my whole eternity on the resurrection.
Hunter First Baptist Church 423-543-1381 | [email protected] | www.hunterfbc.org