Click here to load reader
Post on 27-Jun-2015
Embed Size (px)
- 1. BFI Research By Michael Selby
- The empire magazine outlining the similarities between Ringo Lam s City on fire and Quieten Tarantino s Reservoir Dogs.
- Plot points
City on Fire (1987) 3. More City on Fire
- You may, however, find that the first hour of City surprising, in that it has no more in common with Dogs than it does with Deep Cover or White heat .
- In the end, Tarantino s took no more from this than he did from The killing, the taking of Pelham 123
- What did he take from each film:
- Pelham colour coded names
- The killing the fractures narrative style
- I ve always thought that the closer we can hitch movies to books,
- the better off movies will be
4. Reservoir Dogs
- Reservoir dogs is Tarantinos first hit with audiences, even though it didnt make much money.
- What did he do different from other heist films:
- Left out the heist. In a typical Hollywood movie this would have been the being scene.
- Although he had a low budget
- Other styles:
- In the opening eleven pages you learn nothing abut the characters or the story.
- Contrasting music sequences
- http://www.youtube.com/ watchv =MRbtEjv29z0&feature= related
- the role of these soundtrack albums are not to be underestimated.
6. inglorious Basterds 7. Thanks for listening