SRD163 - T1 2018

Page 2: CARLY CULPIN 216 370 611 THOUGHTSCAPES SRD163 - T1 2018

30% HD4

Weeks

PROJECT 1

PROJECT The Shells of Architectural Thought

TOOLSPlaster, Hebel Block, Carving Tools, Drawing Media

DUE DATE26 March, 2018

GOALTo introduce students to Architecture as a place of ideas and meaning; a place of being and dwelling.

TUTORChris Leong

I found the task was particularly enjoyable. Though challenging in sections, i was able to surprise myself with my abilities and have a new found love for physical modelling in an abstract nature.

Page 3: CARLY CULPIN 216 370 611 THOUGHTSCAPES SRD163 - T1 2018

9 Weeks

N/A50%

PROJECT Alter House or House for the Life of the Mind

TOOLSSketchUp, AutoCAD, Drawing Media,White Card

DUE DATE26 May 2018

GOALGo against your preconception of expectation of a ‘house’ - to imagine ‘not-a-house’ - and design for the intangible meaning to ‘dwell in’

TUTORChris Leong

I found this task particularly challenging as I couldn’t seem to get past the idea of a dwelling of any kind to be a shelter. After seeing a lot of other student’s works, I was surprised at how many possibilities of a ‘dwelling’ there really is. I would probably approach this task differently if given the chance in the future.

PROJECT 2

Page 4: CARLY CULPIN 216 370 611 THOUGHTSCAPES SRD163 - T1 2018

carly Culpin - 216370611 - Thoughtscapes - SRD163 - Assessment 2 - t1 2018

Alter-HouseConcept design3D ModelCreated with SketchUp, the digital model allows in-depth exploration of the concept.The partial underground thought archive is surrounded by glass as, just like our thoughts, it should be viewed from all angles. Small viewports in the floor of the architect’s space allow for ease of viewing to the archive which stimulates inspiration

Southeast Wall PerspectiveVray SketchUp Render - Basic Materials - HQ Output - NTS

Architect’s Space CelebrationVray SketchUp Render - Basic Materials - HQ Output - NTS

Thought Archive CelebrationVray SketchUp Render - Basic Materials - HQ Output - NTS

West Wall PerspectiveVray SketchUp Render - Basic Materials - HQ Output - NTS

North Wall PerspectiveVray SketchUp Render - Basic Materials - HQ Output - NTS

South Wall PerspectiveVray SketchUp Render - Basic Materials - HQ Output - NTS

Celebration PointsVray SketchUp Render - Basic Materials - HQ Output - NTS

Alter-HouseConcept design Oblique Drawings

Southeast Oblique - NTS

Southwest First Floor Section Oblique - NTS

Southwest Oblique - 1:50 Northeast Oblique - 1:50

Southeast Oblique - 1:50

Southeast Oblique - 1:50

Alter-HouseConcept design

Site 33°38’57.1”N 2°27’20.3”E - El Haouita, Algeria

Featuring mostly flat terrain on site, El Haouita is a stunning desert landscape with beautiful views and minimal distractions for the architect that dwells in the alter house. With consistent sunshine from dawn to dusk, and from all angles, the dwelling can be well lit without the introduction of artificial globes

Alter House In Situ

Master Site NTS

Property and Boundary Line 1:200

Oblique Render - NTS

Oblique Render - NTS

PROJECT 2

Page 5: CARLY CULPIN 216 370 611 THOUGHTSCAPES SRD163 - T1 2018

12 Weeks

N/A20%

PROJECT 3

PROJECT Weekly Journal & Final Folio

TOOLSDrawing Media, Trace Paper, Sketchbook, InDesign

DUE DATE5 June 2018

GOALUlnt quassi aboresto, conectur sinulpa, am que.

TUTORChris Leong

This task called for a weekly journal to be completed over the 12-13 weeks of the trimester in which the given subtasks would help our drawing and technical skills. The folio is to be a creative collation of works we wish to highlight accross the trimester including development and assiessments.

Page 6: CARLY CULPIN 216 370 611 THOUGHTSCAPES SRD163 - T1 2018

PROJECT Assessment Tasks 1, 2 & 3

TOOLSDrawing Media, Photoshop, Trace Paper, Sketchbook

DUE DATEN/A

TUTORChris Leong

A collection of developmental sketches and models that aided me in reaching the final assessment task submissions

DEVELOPMENT

Page 7: CARLY CULPIN 216 370 611 THOUGHTSCAPES SRD163 - T1 2018

PROJECT Assessment Tasks 1, 2 & 3

TOOLSDigital Camera, Smartphone, Photoshop

DUE DATEN/A

TUTOTChris Leong

A collection of photos taken in the progeess of the final assessment task submissions.

PHOTOGRAPHS

Page 8: CARLY CULPIN 216 370 611 THOUGHTSCAPES SRD163 - T1 2018

OVERALLTrimester One 2018 was an eventful learning experienced that exposed me to new materials and drawing media. I am extremely proud of my growth and development of new skills, although I wish I could approach the tasks differently.

PRESENTATIONSFeeling a little rushed on assessment one, I felt that I spoke extremely fast and was unable to get across the pride I had in my work. As a stark contrast, I was ill prepared for the presentation in assessment two. It was noticable, and I hope to learn from the constructive criticism and feedback provided by the tutors.

TECHNIQUESThough assessment one and two were a lead on from each other, I chose to make one more analog and one more digital in its development. I definitely feel as though my skills (currently) are digitally focused and I need to work more on my manual skills. I still find it difficult to sketch what is in my head and end up with crumpled paper scat-tered around the room, however I gained some valuable insight through discussions with my tutor, Elsie and Akari over the course of the trimester. Other students have also taught me a lot and guided me to new media that I can try over the inter-trimes-ter break

SUMMARYAs a full time worker, I did find it difficult to find time for all of my student work to be completed to a standard I was satisfied with. I hope to be more organised and focused in the future, but I feel I have grown and am proud of my progress. The lectures have been informative and I have taken to many of the tutors, hoping to learn from them over the course of the next few years. Thoughtscapes has opened me to a lot of new things and I couldn’t be more pleased.

REFLECTION

Page 9: CARLY CULPIN 216 370 611 THOUGHTSCAPES SRD163 - T1 2018

Alter-HouseConcept design3D ModelCreated with SketchUp, the digital model allows in-depth exploration of the concept.The partial underground thought archive is surrounded by glass as, just like our thoughts, it should be viewed from all angles. Small viewports in the floor of the architect’s space allow for ease of viewing to the archive which stimulates inspiration

Southeast Wall PerspectiveVray SketchUp Render - Basic Materials - HQ Output - NTS

Architect’s Space CelebrationVray SketchUp Render - Basic Materials - HQ Output - NTS

Thought Archive CelebrationVray SketchUp Render - Basic Materials - HQ Output - NTS

West Wall PerspectiveVray SketchUp Render - Basic Materials - HQ Output - NTS

North Wall PerspectiveVray SketchUp Render - Basic Materials - HQ Output - NTS

South Wall PerspectiveVray SketchUp Render - Basic Materials - HQ Output - NTS

Celebration PointsVray SketchUp Render - Basic Materials - HQ Output - NTS