españa comida celebraciones lugares de interés información adicional
Embed Size (px)
Lugares de Interés
La Comida Española• Tapas
• Tortilla Española
• Tapas are found in Tasca bars. They are small snacks eaten between meals.
• Gazpacho is a cold vegetable soup originating in Andalucía.
• Paella is a rice, saffron, and seafood dish originating in Valencia. It is the national dish of Spain.
• Tortilla Española is an egg omelet with fried potatoes.
• Sangría contains red wine, sliced fruit, carbonated water, sweetener, and other spirits. Sangria blanca can be made with white wine. It gets its name from sangre - blood.
• La Tomatina
• El Festival de San Fermín
(Running of the Bulls)
• El Gordo
La Tomatina• Valencia on last Wednesday of August
• 1 hour - begun & ended with the firing of a water cannon
• plastic for storefronts
• protective googles and gloves.
• smashed before throwing for safety – over 90,000 pounds .
• clothing usually ripped – not uncommon to end up naked.
Running of the Bulls
• held in Pamplona and is from July 7-14• 6 bulls and 2 groups of oxen run streets for a ½ mile heading to a bullring.• People run in front to guide the bulls to the ring – usually lasts 3 - 4 mins.• barricades along sides of street for people to slip in and out, but not bulls.• 1 rocket launched for opening of gate, another for release of bulls, a third
when they enter the ring and a forth when its officially over.• against law to touch bull b/c it distracts them, but some do for good luck.• dressed in white shirt, trousers, and red sash at waist and neck
El Festival de San Fermín
“The Fat One”
• is the Spanish Christmas lottery
• tickets go on sale in the summer
• drawn every December 22
• takes in excess of 3 hours to draw winners
• drawn by hand in front of a live audience in Madrid
• children sing out the numbers while the crowd chants “gordo, gordo”
• is the biggest and oldest lottery in the world
• 1 big ticket is $310(U.S.), but its split into 10 for $31 each.
• total winnings is over 3 billion U.S. dollars with multiple winners
• use the verb tocar for winning the lottery, not ganar.
Lugares de Interés• La Alhambra in Granada, Andalucía
• was home to the Moorish kings.• has over 30 impressive towers, but some are in ruins now
Lugares de Interés• La Mezquita in Córdoba
• one of the largest mosques in the world – Moors arquitecture
Lugares de Interés• El Parque de Retiro in Madrid, the capital city
• a very large lake in center of park with paths to many monuments, a rose garden, and the crystal palace
Lugares de Interés• La Plaza de Toros in Sevilla
• Seats 14,000 spectators and is the largest and oldest bullring in Spain
Información Adicional- Spanish nightlife starts around midnight and extends until sunrise.
- Most other businesses close for a “siesta” between 2 and 5 pm.
- Big meal of day is considered lunch around 2 pm.
- Dinner is not eaten until 9 pm at the earliest.
- Equivalent of tooth fairy is “Ratoncito Perez”, who leaves treats or $.
- Bonfires on Christmas eve to cleanse the spirit of illness and evil.