it's the culture, but not as you know it
out of 115
Post on 11-Aug-2014
Embed Size (px)
DESCRIPTIONPeople often start companies with a smart team and great product ideas. But as companies grows, some leaders tend to forget that it's not the product and services that made them successful – it's the culture. Culture may actually be harder to build than any product, but your organization can benefit in every way if you end up with a great one. Sven works for Atlassian, an Australian software company that grew from 8 to 800 people in the last 10 years. He will share successes – and struggles – with bringing new people into a strong company culture, how culture is upheld in distributed teams, how your team can maintain its core culture, and why innovation and fun should be part of every company's culture.
- ITS THE Culture, BUTNOTAS YOU KNOW IT @svenpet
- WHATIS Culture? values norms language visions beliefs habits
- SO, WHATIS CULTURE?
- A GREATIDEA
- WORK HARD
- ATTRACTPASSIONATE PEOPLE
- $ cash out
- no need FOSTERING CULTURE ?
- TALK ABOUTFOSTERING Culture
- DESTRUCTIVE CultureEXAMPLES
- we have heard of them (and felt sorry)
- WHY ARE COMPANIES DOING THAT?
- FREDERICK WINSLOW TAYLOR ITS HIS FAULT!
- efficient workers thinking managers
- TIMES HAVE CHANGED!
- WORK HAS CHANGED!
- PEOPLE HAVE CHANGED!
- COMPANIESCHANGE SLOWLY
- NOWPAST PURPOSEPENSION WHENEVER WHEREVER WHATEVER 9-5 OFFICE WHOLE CAREER
- Sven PetersAtlassian Ambassador @svenpet svenpet.com
- Atlassian co-founder
- INNOVATION CultureOF 1
- INNOVATE ?HOW TO MOTIVATE PEOPLETO
- GIVETHEM TIMETO TRY THEIR OWN IDEAS every quarter
- SHIP ITDAY BRAINSTORM SHOW & WINHACK 24 HOURS the whole company
- INNOVATION WEEK ONE WEEK EVERY6 WEEKSIDEAS FOR THE PRODUCT each team individually
- INNOVATION TEAM ONETEAM TRYING IDEAS
- INNOVATION TEAM ONETEAM TRYING IDEAS didnt feel responsible for innovations THE REST
- INNOVATION HAPPEN ATANYTIME
- INNOVATION HAPPEN GIVE ITA POSSIBILITYTO GROW
- HAPPINESS CultureOF 2
- INNOVATION MOTIVATION
- ITCAN BE HARD TO SEETHE BIGGER PICTURE
- MOTIVATION WORK FOR A REASONIS TO make the world a better place
- MOTIVATION CODE FOR A REASONIS TO make the world a better place
- CODE TO MAKE A DIFF FOOD BANK WEB PAGE
- Atlassian Developer
- What about the rest?
- WORKING REASON MAKES US HAPPIER FOR A
- FUN ! Friday event Team building Family & Friends day
- HOW HAPPYARE YOU?
- AND YOUR TEAM?
- SUCKS & SLOW
- ADAPT after our company party
- ADAPT 91% HAPPY! TALKED TO UNHAPPYPOEPLE 94% HAPPY!
- GROWTH CultureFOR 3
- 12 natural team size
- 150 Dunbars number
- 150maintain stable social relationship
- 150+anonymous work places
- SILO PROBLEM
- SILO PROBLEM FINANCE DEVELOPER
- BRING PEOPLE TOGETHER FINANCE DEVELOPER
- Introduce yourself
- some personal stuff
- start conversations
- TRANSPARENCY WINS FAILS NEWS QUESTIONS
- NEW PROGRAM
- GREAT QUESTION!
- Chat CONNECTING THETEAM
- Chat z z z NOBODYMISSES A DISCUSSION
- Chat CONNECTS THE WHOLE ORGANIZATION
- TRANSPARENCY BRING PEOPLE TOGETHER
- REMOTE OFFICE TRANSPARENCY
- PACIFICSTANDARD TIME CENTRALEUROPEAN TIME TRANSPARENCY
- CFO CODER TRANSPARENCY
- SPREADS THE CULTURE TRANSPARENCY
- THE DARK SIDEOF TRANSPARENCY
- INFORMATION OVERLOAD
- NEVER ENDING DISCUSSIONS
- MEETING DOESNTSEEM TO BE NECESSARY IN PERSON nothing beats meeting in person
- GROWTEAM Culture
- 6-8 programming team size
- 6-8 6-8 6-8 ONE PRODUCT
- 6-8 6-8 6-8 uses tool X dont use a tool
- 6-8 6-8 6-8 meet when necessary daily meetings
- 6-8 6-8 6-8 AUTONOMY for the team
- 6-8 6-8 6-8 SPEED need some support!
- fast discussion
- 6-8 6-8 6-8 TRUST can change stuff if needed -> no ownership!
- 6-8 6-8 6-8 =SCALE
- CultureWITH THE SIZE OF THE COMPANY GROWS
- Culture MAKE SURE NEW PEOPLE FITINTO YOUR if you care!
- BE PICKY! inspect candidates carefully
- Programming Experience Passion Beer test NO HIRE
- Programming Experience Passion Beer test HIRE!
- BROGRAMMERTHE EFFECT
- Culture HIRE FOR A DIVERSE please more women in technology
- Culture STRONG hard to get in
- HAVING A BUDDY
- BEER BIKE new Atlassian BEER!
- Culturehappiness trust respect continuous improvinginnovate autonomy
- WHATS IMPORTANTFOR YOUR Culture?
- PRODUCTS COME & GO
- PRODUCTS COME & GO Culture STAYS
- THANKS svenpet.com/talks @svenpet
- PICTURES http://www.flickr.com/photos/38190880@N06/5736623377 http://www.flickr.com/photos/11248435@N04/7502913456/ http://www.flickr.com/photos/73491156@N00/2739212947/ http://www.flickr.com/photos/60821278@N07/6291929645 http://www.flickr.com/photos/43322231@N07/4565750318/ http://www.flickr.com/photos/33227787@N05/12827891104 http://www.flickr.com/photos/85966598@N00/265719387 http://www.flickr.com/photos/23566085@N00/8396406730/ http://www.flickr.com/photos/20654194@N07/5130851019 http://www.flickr.com/photos/54289096@N00/204269498/
View more >