editing the film poster

of 10/10
EDITING THE FILM POSTER

Post on 16-Jan-2017

273 views

Category:

Education

2 download

Embed Size (px)

TRANSCRIPT

Editing the Film Poster

Editing the Film Poster

Software

The two programmes that I used to edit the poster was Serif DrawPlus x6 and Serif PhotoPlus x7. These are fairly basic software however as I had used them both before I felt that this would be the easiest programmes to use to edit. I firstly edited the photograph on Mia on PhotoPlus. This allowed me to change the colour of the photo slightly to a more purple colour scheme and give the photo a typical airbrush look like most other film posters. I then used DrawPlus in order to create the layout of the poster and add text and the galaxy overlay.

Photographs

The first step to create the poster was to take photos of Mia. After looking at other film posters in the drama genre, they often used close-up shots including the head and shoulders. I took several photographs with a white background using natural lighting then others with a black background using artificial spotlights to create more light on her face. However I found that the ones with the lighter background suited our poster better as the black background made the colour scheme too dark and more suited to a horror genre which did not correspond to our trailer.

Editing the photograph

I used PhotoPlus to adjust the colour of the photo which meant that the background was a brighter white and the shadows created had a purple tint.

I first changed the levels of the photos which meant that I was able to adjust the highlights to make them brighter and the shadows to create more contrast.

I then added a lens filter which allowed me to change the image to a more purple colour without changing the entire background following the colour scheme of our trailer and magazine to create continuity between our texts.

Editing the Poster Image

To create the poster, I separated each aspect into a different layer. The first layer I created was the photo I had edited of Mia. As we had researched other movie posters already, didnt stretch the image to fit the entire page, instead keeping the white border, creating a polaroid look, which was conventional of the drama genre.

I then created another layer and used the photo of a galaxy. By then lowering the opacity levels I was able to make both the layers blend together.

Editing the poster text (Title)

To follow the same theme of our trailer, I positioned the title in the same position with Others bigger and we are the smaller and with the e resting on the top of the h. This meant that we had more continuity between our texts. However, for the poster I made the writing purple to make it stand out more as well as fitting with the colour scheme we had used throughout. I then added a glow to the text to make it stand out more against the black background. This also works with the continuity aspect we wanted as we used a purple glow in the trailer and the same text shown to the right on the magazine cover. I did this using the filter effects option and added an outer glow then adjusted the levels of intensity and the blur to create more of a glow.

Editing the poster text (tagline)

For our tagline we used a famous quote from Mark Twain. We felt this was a good quote to use because it is relevant our storyline and the identity struggles our female protagonist faces. I used a font similar to a typewriter as this is fairly common on drama film posters and it worked well as the tagline we have used is a quote from an author.

I place the tagline at the top of the image to keep the main image of our actor the central focus as the title was placed at the bottom. I made this grey also as we felt black would be too harsh and as this wasnt the most important aspect, didnt want to draw attention away from the image or important information.

Editing the poster text (Credits)

This is the billing information at the bottom of our poster. As we decided to leave the white border, this worked well to fit our credits at the bottom. I have kept the same typewriter font as the tagline however changed the font slightly for the important information such as the release date and names to make these stand out more. I also made the names slightly bigger as the information in-between wasnt as important. The release date is also bigger than the rest of the text so it is clearly visible to our audience. I have then included our production company logos and BBFC rating as this is conventional of film posters. I have also used the #WeAreTheOthers as this is often used to circulate more interest in the film.

Editing the poster audience feedback

This was the first draft of our film poster. We then showed this to some of our target audience and asked what they thought about the poster.

Positives:The galaxy effectThe white borders made it more interesting and reflective of our genreThe colour schemeThe blur of the title worked well and fitted with the galaxy background

Things to improve:The tagline at the top was quite difficult to read need to make it bigger and darkerThe title could be made slightly biggerThe release date could be clearer as it is a vital piece of information.

Editing the poster final

After receiving feedback from our audience, I made a few minor changes to the poster. I made the tagline bigger so it was easier to read and a darker grey so it was more easily visible. I also made the title slightly bigger so it stood out on the poster more. I then enlarged the release date and made it a dark purple to fit the colour scheme as well as stand out against the rest of the billing information.